Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM
happytobeme

Default anyone who is prone to motion sickness...

...let me know how the cruise went. We are traveling on the Navigator in a few weeks, staying in an inside cabin in middle of boat. I am somewhat apprehensive about how this is going to go. I plan to get a prescription from my doctor for the patch. If you are prone to motion sickness and have cruised, please let me know how it went.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: anyone who is prone to motion sickness...

I have always gotten seasick when on the ocean for the day whether it was in a little boat or deep sea fishing on a larger boat. When we booked our first cruise I went supplied with enough medication to probably keep the entire boat from being sick! The first cruise I took one dramamine pill the entire cruise (four day from Port Canaveral to Bahamas). The second one I took two Bonine (found they work better) for a seven day western carribean cruise. Luckily we had great weather the whole time. If the seas were rough I'm sure I would have had to take more. Hope this helps.
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM
holden

I always feel a little "off" on the first day of any cruise. One cruise was particularly rough, but the Dramamine helped. I have also used "seabands" - you can get them in just about any drug store. They really help a lot and are great if you don't like to take meds.
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband always uses Marezine for airline trips or fishing trips. It is available over the counter, with a prescription, but you usually have to ask the pharmacist to special order it for you. He has been pleased with this because it does not produce the dryness of the mouth that the patch and other meds can.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I went on the Navigator (eastern caribbean) in Febuary. I am not really prone to seasickness ( I have been on boats since I was 6 months old) but I tend to get sick on airplanes and long car rides. The first formal night actually made me somewhat sick, bad enough that I had to go to our cabin early and go to sleep.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

My wife is prone to sickness, so we took along the Bonine, Sea-Bands and the patch. She did not use the patch, but ended up using the Sea-Bnads for most of the trip. Also, kept a little of the Bonine in her system and said she loved the cruise. We booked another with a third being planned. The Sea-Bands are about 8 bucks at any drugstore and Bonine works really well, better than Dramamine. If you use the patch try it out first at home for the side effects.

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: anyone who is prone to motion sickness...

Tauruschick wrote:

> The first formal night actually made me somewhat
> sick, bad enough that I had to go to our cabin early and go to
> sleep.
Couldn't let this one pass!! Was it the way everyone was dressed???

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Passenger

I'm very prone to motion sickness - but never a problem on a cruise.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Bonine Bonine Bonine.

I take one every morning, and on any rough days, a second in the middle of the afternoon. I break out in a sweat if I am getting seasick -- pop a Bonine, and 20 mins later, I am good to go.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

Haha, no, DougR. the weather between Nassau and San Juan was horrible and the ship was shaking, things were falling and it was pretty scary. I guess I should have worded it better. Sorry bout that.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

I agree 100% with Harry. Bonine is the answer, 1 a day should do it. My doctor, who also gets sea sick, told me to take 1 the night before the cruise to get it into my system then 1 a day. Works great and lets me enjoy the cruise and food!!

Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Beginner

I think one thing to remember is take the medication before the ship sails. This is one time premedication prepares your body for the effects. We usually always take bonine. It worked great our last cruise and we had waves coming up over the balcony the 1st night.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM
First Mate

We are considering a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise Sept 2005. Does anyone know if we should anticipate rough seas on this passage? We've only sailed in the Caribbean thus far, it's like a big bathtub, and have had no problems, nor need for any motiion sickness medication . But I was wondering if the Pacific would be much rougher.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:28 PM
sprocket

My mother and I get seasick from watching TV - ! But we decided she needed some serious distraction after my father passed away so we booked a cruise. My husband thought we were nuts!!!
We sailed Eastern Carribean and took Bonine (Bonamine in Canada) starting the day before we left for the cruise - one per day. Well...we thought we should right the company a thank you letter - we had 20 foot seas on the last day of our cruise and went on a small snorkling boat in 5 foot seas and did not have one single second of nausea or sickness!!! It was a miracle!!!
Needless to say I am planning my next cruise and would not leave home without it!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I think Bonine needs to PAY us for all this free publicity!! But I agree with all the Bonine lovers. It works wonders. My son waited until he was actually sick before taking it (stubborn 13 year old...) but was up walking around in about 2 hours. No side effects for either of us.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM
happytobeme

Default Re: Re: anyone who is prone to motion sickness...

Thanks EVERYONE for your advice! I just got a prescription for the patch from my dr., but everyone seems to say that Bonine is the way to go. I am even going to have my hubby take some. Bon voyage!
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Does Bonine make you tired?
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Yes, Bonine is the Best!!. Dramamine actually makes me feel nauseated, the patch is the same stuff (dramamine drug). Sea bands also worked for me. The beauty of taking oral meds is that you can take them an hour before the ship sails and you're fine, but while in port you don't need to take anything. I've had no ill effects from Bonine and it doesn't make me sleepy.

Enjoy your cruise
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Passenger

I used the patch on our Enchantment cruise. Dry mouth was the only side effect, but I drank lots of water. Also, I drank a few alcholic drinks and no side effects. We had one night of VERY rough seas...lots of sick passengers,. I also had my relief band bracelet, but even with the patch and the bracelet, I still got sick...but was fine the next day when the rocking stopped.
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Dave P

Hello...Being a person that even gets motion sickness on a little bumpy bus, I was scared too about getting sick on a ship. My doctor said I should put on the sea wrist bands and not take any medicine. He said if the wrist bands were put in the proper place on my wrists like the directions indicate, it would tirgger something in the brain and I would never have a motion sickness problem again.

Guess what? After 13 cruises and another coming up in October, my and I both are true belivers of the wrist bands. We have never, ever had a motion sickness problem on the ship wearing the bands. We keep them on all the time, except for when we are off the ship, and sometimes while sleeping at night. Maybe they work differently for different people, but I would at least try them first, before taking any meidication, and bring the mediciation as a second option.

I hope this helps a bit.

Dave P
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:04 PM
bsbc girl

Luckily, I have no problems with motion sickness, but a very dear friend does. Before his first cruise with my husband and I, he could not even sit on a small boat docked, or go on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard. His wife literally forced him on a caribbean cruise with us aboard RCI's Enchantment in 2001. He took Bonine the first few days and then decided to not even take the remaining pills. Guess what? No problems! He has since taken two more caribbean cruises with no motion sickness. My advice would be to take the Bonine if you are apprehensive ,and to stick with the caribbean, especially either the southern or western routes. Good luck and enjoy!
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:23 PM
First Mate

I rarely get sea sick but do take bonine when deep sea fishing or on a cruise if the ship starts to roll a bit too much, just to be safe. Bonine will not knock you out like dramamine, one a day and you should be good to go. Enjoy !
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:09 AM
tennis837

Get you some Bonine tablets at Walmart or any drug store. They are non drowsy and really do work.
Old July 9th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

What is the correct name of the medicine? I want to get it. We are going on an Alaska cruise in a week. The doctor gave me the patches but I don't want to feel drowsy on my trip. I also got the sea bands. Thanks for the help.

Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
L. Diana

On the three past RCCL cruises, the purser gave out bonine. Do they still give out, as needed?
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I believe in holistic medicine so would like to recommend peppermint candy and ginger to help with motion sickness.

Cruising Sept 17 out of Vancouver to Hawaii. Can't wait!

Shirley
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:39 AM
happytobeme

Hey all, I am happy to report that I did not get seasick one bit! I took a Bonine every morning and used the Sea Bands (Walgreens) on the airplane. I am extremely prone to motion sickness and was worried it would ruin my trip. Bonine was the key! I will take it anytime I travel and give it to my kids!