Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Default Bring alchol on board

We are sailing on the Navigator of the Seas, August 28. My question is what is the policy on bringing alchol with you on the cruise? Past cruises we have brought it with no problems, but I am not sure about RCL. We would also like to bring our own wine to dinner. Does anyone know the policy on that?

--Rick
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick
Default Re: Bring alchol on board

I really don't think bringing your own wine to dinner is a good idea. It's like bringing your own food to a restaurant. Not very poliet (but this is just my opinion). The Navigator is a beautiful ship, you'll love it. Have fun!

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
WOODY

I typically bring a bottle of alcohol wrapped in bubble wrap, packed in my suitcase (not carry on, never had a prob with it breaking) and two bottles of wine also wrapped in bubble wrap. You are welcome to bring your wine to dinner, however you will be charged a $8 corkage fee. I usually bring my own cork screw, get glasses from the bar and take a glass to dinner with me. Call me cheap if you will.

Enjoy,
Woody
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Ok "Cheap"....errr...I mean Woody! ... I'm cheap too, so I felt it was safe to could call you that. :-)

I do the bubble wrap thing too. And before everyone blasts me about smuggling in my alcohol...let me say I will still purchase drinks from the bars, but its nice to have some in our cabin also.

Also, the group I am travelling with discovered that the Adventure has 13 bars on it and it is our goal to have a drink from each bar. Heck, we might even accomplish that the first day...then we will have to start all over again....

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

Is it not possible to bring wine aboard on carry-ons? I am just a little skeptical about packing the bottle in the luggage and having my clothes smell like I am a wino should the bottle break with the rough handling the luggage goes through. I also would like wine for in the cabin while preparing for dinner or while relaxing on the balcony. I know that the type I prefer they will not have on board, as it is not even real popular at home (however it is not expensive, either, just my preference).
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Passenger

I just returned from the Navigator and we brought 5 bottles of wine wrapped in bubble wrap in a carry on rolling suitcase along with 4 water bottles,a few cans of my diet 7up fix and 2 water bottles filled with vodka (which came back home ) When we got to our stateroom we asked the attendent to empy the refrig and we put the 7up and the white wine in there. Our travel agent sent us a bottle of wine and it was on the vanity so I asked for 2 glasses and a cork screw and they brought it to us. We had wine before dinner with a cheese tray we ordered through room service. We purchased a bottle a wine at dinner on the 1st formal night and then we brought our own every night after that. We were never charged a corkage fee,which I think was 12.00. We were really sorry we did not bring more. The suit case was then used for stuff to bring back and lets face it you dont pack as well on the way home. We did not use the vodka because getting mix was a hassle and we drank beer by the pool and just bought drinks at the bar.They did not even open our bag to look inside it just went through the machine and that was it.
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much for your reply. Sounds like a plan!
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

Is it still true that you can purchase Alcohol in the Duty Free Shop on board, and for a certain price, they allow you to take it back to your room?
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Passenger

We are sailing on the Empress of the Seas on July 24th from Bayonne. Does any one know how strict they are with regard to bringing wine and liquor either in a carryon or in a suitcase.
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:29 PM
First Mate

I too have brought alcohol, Scotch and Cognac, in my carryon and never had a problem.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:57 PM
big apple

Have now been on some 30 plus cruises on all the mainstream lines and never any problem on bringing on my own booze and wine and beer.Put your booze in bubble wrap in your checked baggage along with beer to last you to your first port.Put wine in your carry on which is allowed on all ships;I usually bring 2 champagnes,two wines to last me to first port.As for corckage which has now been raised on all lines I pick up 2 glasses at the bar which will hold almosy entire bottle and I will carry into dinner.You may think I am cheap but the cruise lines are their own worst enemy charging 3 times the cost of my local wine store for same bottle.Once we have reached first port we restock both wine and beer at duty free and have never been stopped.Ihave seen many fill up their water bottles down the line to bring on vodka and gin and no problem. On my last holland cruise I saw one guy roll in 2 cases of champagne and case of beer on getting on ship and no question.Holland is beginning to see the light as they now have happy hour at the pool bar for 2 hrs. and now selling some drinks where as before almost none.Do not attempt to bring on booze in your carry on luggage as chancse are you will have confiscated at the dock and held until the end of your cruise.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Passenger

As someone who lives near Napa Valley and a huge wine lover, we always bring our wine on trips, vacations, cruises and definitely restaurants. Not cheap, just love what i have and want to have it. We always pay corkage and frequenly offer to throw
the corkage towards the tip and more, even offer the wait person to join us in a glass. Get with the program woody..... loving life in California
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM
browezilla

If you search these boards you'll find several answers from RCCL customer support emails. I believe their Official Policy is that you cannot bring any food or beverages on board, however the enforcement of this seems spotty. However, I think the officalconsequences of getting caught is severe (from some of the posts I've seen) I have seen them confiscate and store until the end of the cruise alcohol that was brought on board, but this seems to be rare. Definitely check your cruise documents, yeah that tiny print in the back of the booklet. I think if you are descrete and put it away when you leave the room you'll be ok, but definitely be familiar with the official policy.
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Officially, this is what the RC site says... I have in the past always brought a few bottles along with no problems, and will again on the Voyager on 7/16.. the worst they will do is confiscate what you have....

(This from the Royal Carib site)
Can I bring my own liquor onboard?
We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases. Should you choose to consume alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee will apply at the time of purchase. Note that no open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into dining areas or public areas.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements but Royal Caribbean will try and accommodate requests. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Bring alcohol on board

My travel docs from them said that you could bring wine and this was 3 weeks ago.We carrier it on no problem I think we had 4 bottles. It was no big deal at all there was one in our cabin we we got there and we did have to ask for glasses and a cork screw and our attendent did not clean out the glasses just left them. I did ask her to clean out the frig and I put the whites in there.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
Passenger

winowoman whats your favorite?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
pinkfloyd01

Excellent info in this thread, thought I would bumb it back up for more feedback
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:01 PM
astra

So wine is okay in the carry on but hard liquor is best traveled in the packed luggage? Guess I should read the travel docs when they come but I'm too excited not to plan!
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from Navigator cruise - no problem at all with taking any liquor on board. I took rum in plastic ice tea or coke bottles, and cocoanut rum in a water bottle and just carried them with me in my bag. We had wine delivered to our room by our travel agent, asked the cabin stewart for a corkscrew, and took the opened bottle of wine to dinner with us one night. We also carried a bottle of wine on board in our carry on luggage. Liquor bought on board can be taken back to the state room and consumed during the trip if you pay an additional $9.50 a bottle.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Gerif

Apparently RCCL has raised their corkage fee to $20 per bottle - at little over the top IMHO. If you purchase liquor in the duty free shop the first night, I believe the $9.50 charge applies to the entire purchase, not each individual bottle. After the first night, I think it is still per bottle. Unfortunately, the don't sell wine in the duty free.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Sis

Is it better to bring beer in your checked luggage or in your carry on? I am just so afraid of the cans exploding in the checked suit cases.I'd rather put it in the carry on... And is it ok, to bring wine in your carry on?
Has anyone brought beer in their carry on?

Thanks,
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:54 PM
big apple

My comments will apply to all in general.Bring your wine in carry on and your beer and liquor in checked baggage.Have never had a problem with some 30 cruises.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Sis

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

Why the beer in checked bags........what is the difference.....from carry on or checked......I just don't get it....or you saying wine is ok to bring but beer is not....so you have to smuggle the beers?
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Passenger

they don't like it, obviously. It cuts into their profits. you can't even buy liquor off shore and bring it back on - the stores must send it to the ship where it is "kept" for you until the last evening.

what have we done? we put clear rum into empty water bottles and put them into our suitcases. I can bring this "water bottle" on deck, but a cheap coke and make all the rum cokes I want without paying their ridiculous prices.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
sailgirl

You can carry on wine. We brought ours to the dining room and were never charged a corking fee. We had a rolling, sort sided cooler in which we put cans of soda and bottled h2o. We put a luggage tag on the cooler(these kind of look like luggage anyway) and it was delivered to our cabin with the rest of our bags. You could probably put cans of beer in the cooler also. Rum was carefully packed in a suitcase.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

They would like you to bring your wine into the dining room for a corkage charge which they may or may not do .This does not apply to beer which others have pointed out that it cuts into their profits so to speak.Checked baggage is what you leave at dock and carry on is what you drag with you.You can bet on this being checked quite closely just like the airlines.
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

Well I just love MD 20/20 do they have that? It has a screw top so no corkage fee applies...right?

Old October 5th, 2004, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

We just got back from a cruise on the Constellation. I brought a bottle of scotch, a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of rum in my carryon luggage with no problems. No one checks your carryon except to pass it through the x-ray machine. I think that the guys doing that are TSA employees, and they are primarily looking for weapons. I don't think they care much if you are bringing booze.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Sis

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

I just got off the phone with RCCL and they told me no water bottles were allowed.....I am bringing them in my carry on.....there is no way I'm not.....that is just crazy. They also said no soda cans....I will be bringing them too.....My kid wants a sode in my room...I am not buying it and I'm not buying the soda card because it is from the fountain. As far as the beer goes, I was gonna buy beer put it into the carry on....but I think I will just purchase a 6 pack at the liquor store on the cruise to bring to the room. This is not about being cheap.......who wants to leave the room to get a drink and bring it back....much nice to have it available in your room at night and during the day before dinner and afterwards.
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:58 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bring alchol on board

My normal water supply consists of one case from sams devided between carry on and checked baggage .After some 30 cruises I have never seen water removed by anyone and have never seen this mentioned on any cruise post. For the record you can replace your water supply very inexpensive at each port.D o not take the chance on liquor or beer in carry on as many times it will be confiscated and the last post on this subject may have been lucky.On my last cruise on Celebrity I saw one man bring a case of champagne and case of beer on rollers right thru scanner without a problem.Compare to speeding sometimes they will stop you and other times look the other way.