Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Toutou

Default food on Radiance???

I need your help for planning my next cruise on January 05 but i'm very confuse. I read so many negatives posts regarding the food on RCI. For me, it's a very important part of my cruisel and I'm a big fan of Celebrity because of that. My last cruise on the Oosterdam (Holland) was a big disapointment because of this matter. I found the ships of RCI so beautifuls, but i'm afraid, especially because i'm planning a back-to-back cruise. It's very long when food is not so great. What do you think about that???.
Is the difference so big?
Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM
kvr

Default Re: food on Radiance???

We now RCI has a set menu for lunch the entire cruise, does not change except for a daily special. Sounds ok maybe for a 3 or 4 night cruise, but not for longer ones.
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
hcat

I would not choose based simply on the lunch menu unless lunch is a important meal for you each day. Having sailed both lines (but not yet a Radiance class--have 2 booked) I believe that food on Cleb is much better in all regards--quality, service, presentation, choices.. However, there have also been some slight cutbacks on Celeb. I am a big veggie person & was served 3 string beans--they always give more if you ask but on Summit.the veggie & potatoes were very skimpy.. Royal ships are more basic in preparation & choices but no one will go hungry. We prefer the Royal ships for their design & brass & glass openness & the centrums & the moe fun aspects of the trip, but the ambiance & food are much better generally on Celeb. Hope when we sail Brilliance & Radiance it will better. Good luck planning your trip!
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

The food on the Radiance was A+ in my books. I too do not book solely based on a lunch menu, there is just too much to choose from The dining room menu at night was wonderful and plenty of veggies or whatever you desire.
The windjammer is obviously cafeteria style but always a great fix.
I think that you will not be dissappointed in the selection unless you choose to find something negative about anything. Keep in mind... unlimited food....

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Passenger

I was on the Navigator on 12/13/03 and I didn't do much lunch because of big breakfasts. I just didn't have room for lunch. Sometimes, I would stop by Cafe Promenade get me some crossiant salmon sandwichs and cheese cake around 3:00PM or 4:00PM to tide me over til dinner at 6:15PM.

On a more general note, I think the food on the Navigator was good to very good overall nothing excellent.

There were a few things that was just bad especially for a cruise. The pizza was like frozen school pizza. I had one bad ranch steak at dinner one night. Soft serve ice cream at Sprinkles was good for soft serve, but I would have prefered homemade hand dipped ice cream. They used to have homemade ice cream on Carnival in the early 1990's, but I guess with the decline in cruise prices some things had to go down. RCI did have Ben and Jerry's for a charge. I've always like Hagen Daz better, but not better than homemade.

The cod, halibut, shrimp scampi, steak with lobster, all the different salads, soups, breads, and desserts were good to very good at dinner. Breakfast was my favorite meals in both the Dinning room and Windjammer.

The crew and staff on the Navigator are the BEST!!!!

I hope this helps!

Brandi S

Future Cruise: Brilliance of the Seas 12/13/2004

Past Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas 12/13/2003
Mardi Gras 5/31/1990
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
J9&R2

Hi Toutou,

I really don't know why some people have complained about the food on Royal Carribean. That amazes me! My hubby and I had our first cruise on our honeymoon with Royal Carribean and we fell in love with cruising after that We've been on Norwegian and actually found the food not to our liking even with the free style dinning. On Norwegian the best food that we had was at the main dinning hall. The only other place on Norwegian that we liked was the fish & chips place, but you had to wait for ever to get a shepards pie. I guess it is all a matter of taste and what you are used to. We just felt that Norwegian was too Euro and far out there for us as far as food goes. My hubby has lived in Europe so he recognized some of that.

I have a sensitive stomach as well, and I never got sick eating on Royal Caribbian, plus the fact that now they have non dairy stuff that I can get if I let them know before hand. The only time I got sick was when I had too many french pastries in one day,lol and that was my fault!

The only time that Randy and I were dissapointed with Royal Carribeans food was at the Windjammer Cafe going to Western Carribean. The taco meat was luke warm, but it was also at the bottom of the barrel when we got to it. They quickly replenished the taco meat soon after we showed them it was getting low.

We never had a problem with dirty dishes, or napkins, or dirty rooms. We somehow always get a towel animal when we get back to our rooms

Hope this helps,

J9&R2
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Yeoman

I've had trouble interpreting the feedback I've read about food on RCI.

One of the most common _complaints_ I've read is actually a _positive_ thing to me: Portion sizes are relatively small.

I have also read complaints about blandness -- a reflection, I suspect, of trying not to offend the tastebuds of some, but resulting in disappointing the tastebuds of others. However, I've also read direct repudiations of such complaints, so it is hard to know what to believe.

In addition, I've read some service-related complaints (typically steaks not done to the exact extent desired -- which is nothing short of alchemy in the real world anyway), but no more so than several other cruise lines.
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:58 AM
hcat

Brandi let us know how you like Brilliance in Dec. We are booked for March 05...
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default No Subject

Post Edited (06-27-04 09:42)
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Passenger

Bicker,

Everyone has different taste. I read Pete Larson's review of the Navigator on my same week and he thought the food was FANTASTIC, but I didn't only good or very good(depending on what I ate) . We had breakfast in the dinning room on our last day at sea with 4 senior citzens and they moaned and groaned about everything in the book. They wanted the staff to bring this and that, and when brought to them it was too cold or they changed their minds and didn't want it anymore. They even groaned about my pancakes being cold and groaned about things that were wrong at other people's tables nearby. They were hilarious! I don't think you will be disappointed if you try RCI, just keep an open mind, don't have too many expectations and let them surprise you!

Brandi S

Future Cruise: Brilliance of the Seas 12/13/2004

Past Cruises:
Mardi Gras 5/31/1990
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: food on Radiance???

hcat,

I will try to let you know how Brilliance of the Seas is. I have very bad post cruise depression. So, it is hard for me to write reviews. It takes me about 2 months to adjust to reality again and maybe 3 additional months to make full recovery.

Past Cruises:
Mardi Gras 5/31/1990
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:19 PM
hcat

I know how you feel--that's how we have started booking more cruises than we can really afford to take! But life is short.