Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to energizedbunnny
Default Worst Vacation Ever Enchantment June 21st 2004

We just returned from our vacation yesterday. This was the most horrible expensive vacation we ever took.

I'll start with our pre-cruise plans. We left Tampa Saturday morning and headed to Ft Lauderdale . We had reservations at LaQuinta Suites off Powerline Rd. We arrived checked in and found that the spa was not working. I had searched the area for hotels with the hot tubs especially and called the day before the 24hr mark to make sure it was properly working. Was told all was fine. It wasn't , the lady at the desk said it hadn't worked for about a week. The room had little ants on the night stand.

Sunday we had reservations to stay at Day Inn on Ft Lauderdale Beach. We drove over there and my husband got a quick shore scuba dive in across from the hotel. He said the reef was great. The parking at this Days Inn is free for the week of your cruise. A shuttle picked us up for 6 bucks and returned us for the same. We tipped $5 each way too. The pool at Days Inn was cloudy and really small. So we stuck with the beach which was nice clear water.

Monday we arrived at the port around 12 noon. It is important to add that my cell phone had 2 bars of charge and my husband's had 3 bars of charge. We took the pier pictures, waited in line for the check in process arrived at the desk to be told follow them to have a resident check done. We arrived at a desk with a rude woman that looked at our documents and said you owe another 560.00. We went nuts. We had booked thru Cruise One Georgia office paid 1800.00 a year prior to this date for cabin 4526 Oceanview. The agent had only paid them 1300.00 and somehow did a wrong code.At first the woman did not explain exactly what the issue was. I had my Visa card in my hand from getting the sea pass at the other desk still. She reached out an attempted to grab the card to make the charge. I pulled it back astounded that this happened.
I immediately called the travel agency and reached the agent. he said that he paid them correctly and there was obviously a mistake. He talked with the woman and I cannot say what he said for sure but she was yelling at him on my cell phone, She layed my phone down across the workstation with him on hold for at least 7 minutes and walked off behind a room divider thingee. When she returned my phone was dead and he was lost.
She handed me the phone and said I lost the connection.
We called him on my husbands phone He said he had offered to put the 560.00 on his card and she was going to check with a supervisor. So I asked her what came of this could he? She stated no. We finally agreed that we were 1800.00 into this at this point and went ahead and paid the 560.00. Cruise One said they would mail a check out that day. And they did it was here when i got home. At this point both our cell phones were dead. I needed to call my sister in law and brother in law to tell them they were going to have the same issue most likely because they had booked the same way. There was no pay phones in the area and if you go outside you are not getting back in. Thier flight was not arriving until 3:30. We sat in the pier area until then waiting because I didn't know if they would be able to pay the amount and we may needed to loan it to them.
When they arreved they had no issues. straight thru we all paid the same at the same time.All live in the same area.
We finally boarded at 4:10 Starving and tired. I had no t smoked a cigarette thru this whole ordeal so i was crazy at this point .Had lunch in Windjammer. It was great.

Two of our bags were at the room when we arrived. One was still missing. Later we called the Pursors desk to find that it was held there for security purposes. We went up there waited in a 50+ person line to be told that it had to be opened in front of a secuirty guard. We waited an hour for the security person to arrive. It's dinner time now. The bag contained a 12 pack of bottled water, scuba fins, a scuba mask, a few t-shirts from Ft Lauderdale. Some travel coupon booklets. We asked what was the issue. They didn't know. I still think it was the bottled water. We asked if it could be taken to our room by someone they said we would have to wait with it. We did for 30 more minutes. The porter arrived and said it was too heavy to carry he needed to get a handtruck. My husband just picked it up gave him a buck for at least coming and carried it himself. I told you what was in it. We were trying to avoid having to go back to the cabin again
We ended up eating in Windjamer that night. It was great.

Key West Formal Night.
Key West was fine. We walked down to the Most southern point took pictures and stopped at Green Parrot. We went the Mel Fisher Museum. A rip off save your 10 bucks.
Did some shopping. Found great prices on Hawaiian shirts.

We dressed for formal night. Arrived at our table. Waiter took order. We do not drink anything but tea, juice, water, and coffee. We ordered iced tea. Never had water glass filled. Never was given any bread. Appetizer arrived. Asked for tea again. Told he'd be there soon. Salad arrived. Asked for tea. Told one second. Entree arrived. My husband got up and walked to Windjammer and got 4 glasses of tea and brought them back.
After he came back the tea arived with the head waiter apologizing. People at our table that drank wine had it before the appetizer. They agreed it was wrong. We told the waiter we would not be back ate our dinner and skipped dessert due to agrivation. Several people kept coming over to say this has never happened and will never happen again.At this point I had tears in my eyes mascara starting to run. We couldn;t do formal pictures I was too upset.
they brought enough bread to feed a starving nation. But it was too late. I wanted one piece with my salad. So did our family and the other couple.

Cozumel was great. We had a charter planned with Blue Angel Dive Shop.(PRIVATELY)
They have a tour where snorklers and divers can go on the same boat. If you are ever looking for something like this It is the one to use. We arrived at 10:30 instead of 10 were the first ones off the Ship and still were late the shop left us. We were able to have the tour operator call the boat and they went to a pier and we had a nice mexican man whom did not speak english from the shop take us to that pier and we boarded the dive boat. The truck we rode in was everythng you'd imagine minus the chickens. LOl
Very funny experience. The dive my husband said was wonderful. The snorkleing I did was great. The crew and the divemaster Tiki were so wonderful. We wanted to stay there.
If I was a millionaire I would have went back to ship and packed up and stayed in Cozumel.

Belize is a tourist trap. The shopping area they drop you off at is owned by RCI the pharmasist told us. There is no price bargining. But we did find what we wanted at reasonal cost. Purchased some antibiotics and a gorgeous leather hat with Corona stamped on it and a belize hard rock cafe shirt for our college age daughter. A couple hammocks and some neat beaded belts.

The day at sea we mostly laid around Video taped the ship. It is a beautiful ship.
We ate at Windjammer morning, noon, and night. We ran into the couple we shared dinner with they said they went to the dining room one night because windjammer
had a bad smell and they were waited on by 8 people and aske if everything was ok hundred's of times. . We never went back. If we say never we mean never.

We still tipped everyone on our card because it was my understanding that the whole wait staff divdes the tips and the waiters at windjammer were great.

Our cabin steward was wonderful. The room was spacious. We never got sick on the ship. Although I felt pass outish in Belize. Think I had land sickness.

I just don't think Cruising is our name of the game.

We extended our vacation after getting off the ship. Oh wait we had a hard time finding our luggage. Do put something reconizable on black bags. When you debark the ship they are all in color coded areas and people are rushing it is crazy trying to leave. grab a sky cap and you dont have to wait in the long long line they wheel you straight thru customs and out the door.

ok back to the extention. We drove down to Key Largo we had planed to stay in Ft lauderdale but I asked huby if he wanted to dive in key largo. on another dive/snorkle boat. Sea Dwellers was thier name another outstanding operation.

There was no rooms available in Key Largo except for Travel Lodge. They wanted 145.00 a night plus 11.5% tax Hole in the wall dump. No smoking anywhere on thier premisis. The desk clerk said i'd have to cross the street or smoke in an alley way. So we drove back into Florida City.
25 minutes from the 9 AM dive charter. we stayed at Baymont Inns for 59.95. Very good deal. Nice room, pool, and service wonderful.

We had a bad experience for the first 3 days of a 5 night cruise. We tried to make the best of it. really we did. We seem to enjoy staying in destinations longer than the cruise offers. My husand is 40 I am 38. We found the average age to be about that. There were some older people very nice and some unruly younger ones. The people on the ship were nice and you never hardly saw children. I heard they had a wonderful kid's program.

Our bill when we left the ship 87.00

included 2 cartons cigarettes
Cruise in review DVD
Dry Cleaning
misc gift shop purchases

We don't drink but my sister-in-law and brother-in -law do and they spent a total of 130.00 on alchol for the two of them and they had what they wanted. Thought I'd add that I know alot of people ask what bill charges are at the end. They also renewed thier vows for thier 25th. It was a shaby ceremony. Performed by some woman whom laughed while she read the vows to them.

We'll stick to all inclusive resorts I think.

Sorry so long.

ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Worst Vacation Ever Enchantment June 21st 2004

Thanks for the review. Sorry you had such a bad experience. We are leaving on her in January. I am looking forward to the trip and know it will be great.

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:19 AM
First Mate

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Admiral

It seems to me when you separate the complaints about things that RCCL had no control over, you did not have much complaints except for the service during formal night which, unless I am missing somthing, seemed to be a very minor thing to get overcome in tears over. Clearly the snafu with boarding was the fault of your TA. All RCCL knew at that point was the account had money due. As for Belize, it would be tough to blame the shops on RCCL based on a non-experts passing a rumor on. I am sure that RCCL has an "arrangement" with the shops. This is quite common from what I understand. Sounds like you had a good time otherwise.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Well it wasn't your hard earned spent vacation time either.It never really was the money issue moreso the time lost in aggrivation. Sorry I posted my review.
I guess if a woman gets teary eyed because everyone around her is *****ing about
thier experience and it upsets her she is a whiney drama queen. It was more the icing on the cake to 2 days prior. I know it was the travel agent with the booking issue and the added cash expense. I was upset that someone would snatch my Visa card. Guess you would have smiled and kissed her hand for the pleasure of her doing it. Sorry I took offense to it.

ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Thank you for your review. Sorry you encountered so many problems. It sounded like you enjoyed the ports at least, just not the entire cruise experience and had it happened to me I wouldn't have been happy either. Hope your next vacation turns out better.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM
hcat

Sorry your trip got off to such a poor start-- I guess every cruise is different. We've been very lucky & have loved each one. The Enchantment is our favorite--True the food & dining service was not Excellent but otherwise we loved it--our ports were a bit diff also--did 7 nites whihc included Key West Gr Cayman, Costa maya & Cozumel. Maybe you'll try again in the future....
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

Sorry you had such a bad experience. My advice is to give cruising another try! Maybe go for a more port intensive cruise. I have cruised 15 times (going on my 16th in 3 weeks!) and, knock on wood, never such a problem.

Honestly no matter were you go a problem CAN arise. I am a travel agent and I have had crazy things such as what you described happen to me. Not so long ago I had a screaming angry client boarding a Celebrity ship in Vancouver last summer. She calls the agency to tell me that Celebrity wanted $300 from her. So I talked to the "know it all" agent at the peir. Turns out someone made an error and it wasn't us. But I got headquaters on the phone and they resovled the issue. It had something to do with there computer! But in your case it sounds like your agent screwed up.

And then this February I get a call from a family I sent to an expensive resort called Beaches Resort in Turks & Caicos. Family of 5 spent over $9,500 for a week at this all inclusive place. And no they did not have a suite. So they get there, they are all paid in full with tickets in hand and they were told the place was overbooked! So they had to stay at this not so great hotel called the Allegro for the 1st TWO nights. Well they were angry! And they were angry at me! As for I was concerned I did everything right! The expensive all inclusive resort made a big boo boo.

So unfortunately, as with everything in life nothing works out as planed sometimes no matter if you are cruising, flying, staying at a resort mistakes and problems can happen. I have been in the travel industry for 7 years now and have seen many problems with every form of travel. But you have to find a bright side. Try a cruise one more time! It will be better.

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

A side note I forgot to mention. That resort I spoke of above (Beaches in Turks and Caicos) were very rude to me and my clients. Almost 4 1/2 months later I am still trying to get the hotel to remburse my clients for the 1st two lost nights. They instead gave them a $200 voucher! Imagine the hotel almost comes to $700 a night and they get a $200 voucher! Now that is rude and not right.

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:23 PM
ESS

I would give another shot at cruising with another cruise line. I will be going on RCCL this winter, but have gone on Princess and Celebrity. Both cruises were great - with a couple of minor problems. On Celebrity there was such a difficult couple at the table I took the waiter aside and told him to serve us last - that we could wait a few minutes while he made the difficult couple happy. On the Princess cruise some of our food was delivered lukewarm or cold. I learned one does not have breakfast at the formal dining room on a Princess cruise anymore. Other than that - great vacation, great places to visit, great entertainment and great staff and people to cruise with!
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM
CF

It is too bad that you had problems with your trip. All though you can't blame RCCL for the problem with your land hotels. Can you? As for the extra money you had to pay at the pier, know that you are not the first, nor will you be the last to have this happen to them. If you read these board enough, you will see that it is not so uncommon. Agravating? yes. Wrong? maybe. Someone did something wrong, but in the end, you got your money back. I think your negative cruise experiences were nothing that people who cruise alot have not been through at one time or another. I was recently on a cruise operated by a big mouse, and the dining room service was not very good. Actually, it was horrible. But, having been on several cruises, I knew this was not normal. I blame the waiter and assistant that I had and their tips, or lack of, reflected it as well as the conversation I had with the head waiter. I felt bad for the family we were sitting with because it was their first cruise and they were not impressed witht he service. I found myself defending cruising and reassuring them that other cruises are better. As you said, the service in the windjammer was great. Those same waiter will work in the dining room also. Imagine if you had them waiting on you? YOu would have come off the ship feeling differently. My advice, for what its worth, is to try it again. I
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I think you are over exagerating. Most of your issues are minor and have nothing to do with the Enchantment itself. I was on that ship in may and it was one of my favorite cruises of 10. How was the ship, the shows, the pool games, the entertainment?

Who cares about the hot tub at your pre-cruise hotel and the cloudy pool? Maybe you should have a cocktail and loosen up.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Worst Vacation Ever Enchantment June 21st 2004

Regardless of your sex, poor service at dinner is not worth getting aggravated at to the point that it ruins your entire vacation. I can't imagine that you would not try again to see if service improved. You can take steps to ensure that bad service never happens again.

Your snide remark about me kissing her hand for trying to take the credit card was out of line. Is it not a possibility that she assumed that you had the card out to pay the balance due? Is it also possible that due to your agitated state that you immediately interpreted it as a hostile attempt to "snatch" the card?

I certainly hope you really did not let this ruin your vacation. I had an Aunt who was on a fifty day cruise. One day she found a bug in her room. She got so upset that she could not enjoy the rest of the cruise and her only memory of the whole time was "the bug".

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Right on, Doug. I am quite sure that you will have a great time in August!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Shadow 99

Wow,sorry to hear you were so upset about your vacation...I am curious though,about the extra 560.00 charge.Are you a resident of Florida?I have heard horror stories about agents booking people on resident/senior rates,just to get the sale,only to have the passengers stopped at the pier with incorrect documents.I am a TA and I would never book clients at a lower rate unless I asked if they were over the age of 55 or a resident of PA or NJ (our area).Lately,the cruislines have been printing right on the documents that they are travelling on a restricted fare...this way,no surprizes at the pier.If you had that much of a balance due,I am also surprised that the cruiseline released the tickets to Cruise One...someone was not paying attention!Anyhow,I think you should give cruising another try...just remember,you gotta roll with the punches...nothing is perfect and travel in unpredictable..Good Luck.
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Passenger

No, it it not a possibilty that she thought the card was out to pay the balance. The card was in my hand which was propping up my head on the counter, which puts the card up by my temples sticking outwards. there was no gesture or comments at that point that anyone should or would have assumed I was going to pay. It was a definate snatch.

I tried to be imformative in my original post with How beautiful the ship was ,some of the cost we encountered, and the avaliable parking at Days Inn. I have great video of the entire ship we taped on our day at sea. If i only knew how to upload it somewhere I would for people interested in seeing the ship.

I recieved alot of valuable information from this board before we went that helped alot
for that I am thankful. I really wish I would have returned with a great review. I did alot of research here. i packed perfectly ,I tipped accordingly, I knew where everything was located before boarding the ship.That helped immensely.

I added in the pre-cruise issues mainly because that's what I have seen in the past on here. It also added to my reason for the title of this topic.

And no, I do not wish to have a cocktail to losen up. We do not drink. We both have our personal reasons why we do not. My husband is 40 yrs old with one dead kidney and the other one failing all he can drink is water, cranberry juice, and several glasses of tea a day.. He has a blocked urinary track If he was to drink a soda and have it back, b ack into his bladder He'd be in the hospital .Before we left I asked several questions on this board and several others like it about the availbilty of tea on the ship. to us this was an important isssue. If someone was limited to one cocktail a day would you want it when you could have it or sit thru 3 courses at dinner without a drink. ?. I do not drink because he cannot and I feel bad that he can't enjoy one or two So I'm not going to do it in front of him. He is having another surgery in August So this will not be an issue any longer, lord willing.

We have another week together in December So i'm looking forward to that.
Cozumel was great, We'll most likely go back there.

I'm done with this board and I am truely a sorry that I have offended anyone with my actual vacation post. Continue to discredit my orignal posting. i will not defend any longer.

ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM
Passenger

We went on the Enchantment on June 7 and had the best time ever. Ate in the dining room each night and had a wonderful waiter (Adrian from Romania). I even got seasick one night, but would do a cruise again in a second. I would book with a reputable travel agent. Lots of people I've talked to online have had trouble with online bookings.

Sorry about your problems.
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Tova Natasha

I was on the same ship and Cruise that you were on! We sailed on the Enchantment June 21st.

We had the BEST waiters....actually, the assistant waiter was better!
We asked for a small table for ourselves, as I don't like dining with people I don't know, but we were always talking to our dining neighbors...and had a good time chatting.

Did you say that the WHOLE cruise was terrible???? It sounds like it was the dining room and the problem with your agent....whom I would stay away from!

We ate at the Windjammer once in the morning except for the last day where we sat in the Fair lady. The morning Windjammer experience was not my favorite, as all of us were usually heading out to go on our excursions....and it was hard to find a table. We decided to do morning room service after that and never had a problem!

The shows were wonderful! Fantastic! better than a vegas review! Matt the director was fabulous too! Did you go there? What did you think?

Being from Florida, we totally avoided the pool area....except for the adult pool which was so relaxing and wonderful. Being around a pool is something we do every day at home. ( OK we are spoiled! ha)

That LAST day at sea.... with all the TEENAGERS and kids lol...was the only downer as they were a bit loud....but I remember being a kid and it was probably the highlight of their trip!!!!! being together without their parents listening to a Jamaica band...... so we spent a nice quiet time in the Spooner Bar reading and listening to a wonderful piano man. Then we went out on Deck 5 and sat ourside in peace and quiet....looking at the beautiful blue sea!

I DID find the pursers, EXCEPT the one with the grey hair, were stressed and not very hospitible...as were the Shore Excursion people. It seemed like they felt that they didn't have to smile or put them selves out, as the excursions were so sought after....and we were bothering them with out questions!

Our cabin person was fantastic...we tipped her at the BEGINNING of the cruise...a few dollars more at the end too. She was from a place around Belize....very poor country....and she was as nice as she could be!

WE did not do the FORMAL night. It is not our bag, but it sounds like it was yours. Also, if you didnt' have the greatest waiter, you could have spoken to the Head waiter and either changed your table, or he would have made sure you were served those yummy honey wheat rolls before your salad, as we were!

From all I heard. RCCL is the cruisers choice for the best vacation ship. The Enchantment doesn't have all the extras that the new ships have, such as the other alternative dining areas and the skating rink etc., but I would go back any day! We were MOSTLY treated with respect and if there was something wrong, we just spoke up and it was fixed...but one HAS to speak up!

I hope you sail again and this time....go Celebrity....which I was told was a bit more formal....as is the QE . All the excursions are basically the same for any cruise ships...but you HAVE to do your homework and get on the internet and research them as we did before we signed up. We never had a problem!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
Catnip

I'm sorry you had such a negative cruise experience, especially having problems from the first day!
I frequent a few of these "cruise bulletin boards" and have noticed that some people are very defensive and protective of certain cruise lines. They don't want anything bad or critical said. It happens on all of these boards. I have never understood it myself.
I have 2 favorite cruise lines, RCCL & Princess. I have been on numerous cruises and have had bad & irritating things happen on both lines.
But it would be nice to feel free to post your own opinion and/or your own cruise experiences without the loyal cruisers slamming you. Not everyone's cruise experiece will be 100% perfect.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:10 PM
LoriLinay

Good Lord people!!! I can't believe how some of you responded to someone saying they were so upset and frustrated that they had tears in their eyes! We all respond differently to things. Travel CAN be stressful. I'd be a bit ticked too if I went to a hotel specifically for a whirlpool and it was broken. Then to have the whole money thing happen! How utterly crappy!

I hope you do give cruising another try. Sounds like you had a lot of things add up to a big thing. I don't blame you at all for being upset.

Good luck!!!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Whiteknight

Well, I don't have all the answers and even if I did, it's a bit late to help; that ship has sailed. There is one thing that I do know though. If anything is ever unsatisfactory in the dining room and the situation isn't resolved in a reasonable amount of time, all you have to do is calmly walk over to the maitre d' and in a firm but pleasant voice explain the problem to him. I can virtually guarantee you that the problem will be resolved to your satisfaction immediately and you make even receive complimentary wine with your dinner.
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Dave the Cruise Maniac

I don't think the PROBLEM was the cruise......