Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
mcw voyager #2 this yr

Default bermuda ports pros/cons

i am planning to cruise to bermuda next year. my ta says kings warf is not really desirable. it seems rccl is using that port more. can someone with bermuda experience discuss hamilton, st georges and kings warf?
thanks,mcw
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser
Default Re: bermuda ports pros/cons

Hi. I have cruised to Bermuda six times and its my favorite place. A beatiful island with nice beaches, good standard of living, and nice people. This is long! So read on if you want .

Hamilton is the main "city" or port. The thing is the channel into the harbor is on the narrow side so it limits mostly smaller ships to dock there. Like ships that are about 50,000 tons or less. That is why you will find ships like Celebrity's Horizon & Zenith and Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas docks there. These ships are in the 40,000 ton range. Now from my understanding there is now 3 peirs there. There used to be two but I think they now use the cargo peir as well on some occassion. Hamilton is the most convienent port. Basically when you walk off the ship you have Front Street right there. On Front Stree you have shopping and places to eat plus easy access to cabs, buses, mopeds.

St. Georges is smaller then Hamilton and is very quiant. Now to get into St. Georges the channel is even more narrow and again limits the size of ship that can dock there. So again you will find ships that are 50,000tons or less going there. And if the weather is overcast or foggy even those ships may cancel there stop there because it is a tricky channel to manuever. But from what I remember there are two peirs there and they are both within easy walking distance to quaint shops and there is also a replica of an old boat that sailed to Bermuda way back when within walking distance. Also you can easily get a cab as well from there.

Kings Wharf or also known as the Royal Naval Dockyard is located on the opposite end of the Island. This dock can accomodate very large ships. And I am sure you are aware the Voyager and Granduer of Royal Caribbean are coming here in '05. Royal Caribbean's Empress has been going there for years only because I think its a little less money to dock (so it keeps the cruise cost a little bit lower) plus for scheduling reasons (too many ships in Hamilton and St. Georges). Now I was at this dock back in 1989 so things have changed! I have had clients who visited that dock a couple of years back on the Nordic Empress (now Empress of the Seas) and they said that there is some shopping and a muesum I believe within walking distance from the ship (10-15 min walk). But thats about it. There is really no center of town over there. However you can get a cab from there and go to the small town of Somerset which is a10 min. cab ride or you can (I am not sure if they run this still) take a ferry from kings wharf to Hamilton (it used to be free). They ran this ferry when I was there and even when my clients where.

But remember Bermuda is a small island! So from anywhere you can get a cab to the beach. I beleive that beaches like Horseshoe Bay are actually a little closer to the Kings WHarf area.

So I know this is long but I hope it helps. If you have anyother questions let me know.

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: bermuda ports pros/cons

Is there a place to rent mopeds or scooters in Kings Wharf?
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just came back from an 8-night cruise to Bermuda last week. The Empress of the Seas was beautiful and the food was outstanding! The service on RCCL ships are the best!

This was my second cruise to Bermuda. King's Wharf is a bit out-of-the-way, but we didn't have a problem with taking the ferry to Hamilton for a day. We went to Hamilton from King's Wharf because when we docked in Hamilton (7/29 & 7/30) it was a holiday and almost all the shops were closed. At the Wharf you can rent motor scooters. The shops are nice - don't miss the Glass Works Factory. New to King's Wharf is SNORKEL PARK. Although the main food court/bar wasn't finished, the beach was clean and great for families - and snorkeling! King's Wharf is also home to the Frog & Onion pub and another bar that the locals frequent.

If you have any questions you can email me at: sharon_psu@yahoo.com

I noticed that RCCL only has the 5-night Bermuda cruises posted for 2005 so I emailed them to see if they still plan on doing the 6 & 8 nights cruise...if they do I'll be back next year!!!!
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Texas Cruiser

Bermuda is such a small island, none of the ports are bad stops in my opinion. When I was there several years ago, there was public bus system taking people all over the island. It was very inexpensive and especially handy for people who didn't want to rent scooters. You can get anywhere on the island relatively easy. You should have no problems no matter where your ship comes in. All you have to remember is your ship is coming in!
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Familiar Face

Dolphin Encounter is also located at Dockyards/KingsWharf. The #7 bus also runs out to the beaches (Long Bay, Elbow, Horseshoe Bay) the stop is right at the end of the pier by the ferry dock. Cheers!
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Passenger

I WAS DOCKED IN KING'S WHARF LAST YEAR. WE WERE THERE FOR 4 DAYS SO WE DID THE 4-DAY MOPED RENTALS (5 MINUTES FROM SHIP). WE EXPLORED THE ENTIRE ISLAND ON MOPEDS. IT CAN BE A BIT SCARY THOUGH! THERE IS A SMALL MALL WITH AN INTERNET CAFE RIGHT NEAR THE SHIP. THE BEACHES ARE NOT FAR BUT YOU WOULD NEED TO TAKE A BUS, CAB OR MOPED TO THEM. I LOVED BERMUDA! HAVE FUN.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM
sailgirl

We just came back from empress of the seas to bermuda. Personally, I liked King's wharf better than Hamilton. It was a beautiful area with a nice beach and snorkle area. The beach is free but you can rent chairs, floats, snorkles, umbrellas, kiacks and paddle boats. We did not rent anything but a paddle boat. We brought our own snorkles. It was a bargain afternoon in port for a family of 5(3 teens). The beach is within walking distance of the ship. There was also a museum which had nice views. The ferry is right there. There is a shopping area also. On the second day we hopped on a bus to Horseshoe beach. It was a great day. We really enjoyed the scenery from the bus ride as you are riding along the coast. I found Hamilton to be much more of a city. I guess your port preference depends on what you like to do with your time.
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:57 AM
holden

where you dock in bermuda is a non-issue. the public transportation system (ferries & buses) is so easy to use, and it's cheap. just be careful to avoid traveling on buses during "prime time" - i.e. if you go to elbow beach, try to come back to your ship before 4 or 5pm when everyone else is coming back to the ship. we did the beaches early in the a.m. and didn't have any problems with buses/ferries. we did hear people complaining that they had to wait because some buses were too full later in the day. you can always catch a cab, but they are expensive.

i'd go back to bermuda in a heartbeat! it's much better than the caribbean. it really doesn't matter where the ship docks, you can get anywhere you want to very easily.