Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Gerri

Default Do you really need a travel agent?

Hi,

I was just wondering if you really need a travel agent when you are booking a RCI cruise? I mean it looks somewhat self explanatory when looking at their website and the RCI cruising catalog. How much do you really save with a travel agent versus no travel agent? Plus, I have heard so many horror stories about hang-ups with using travel agents. Would like some input in this matter.
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Do you really need a travel agent?

We have always gotten a better deal using a travel agent or a travel web site versus the prices that RC lists on their web site. I think it's because most travel agencies purchase from RC in bulk so they can pass the savings along to their customers. Good luck.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

Sometime it doesn't work out. We checked with four cruise-specific TAs, and still got a better package deal from Travelocity than any of the TAs.
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's a 50/50 shot, Travel agents sometimes have bulk space on certain cruises for discounted prices but websites such as Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, etc...also have similar bulk package prices. I've seen past posts about some of the advertisements on this website and they were pretty cheap but I would really look into all the rules and restrictions before booking anything. I've heard the horror stories about certain states getting better rates than others and people having to pay the difference when they're checking in for their cruise.
Just be careful and make sure you fully read through everything...
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Beginner

I have a great TA, she has given me great prices because of the bulk group rates she gets...

Also as prices go down she is looking out for me, I have gotten a reduction many times

www.
*** edited to remove the commercial***
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:01 PM
paljoeysmom

I also have a DYNAMITE TA who monitors pricing & has excellent pricing, + OUTSTANDING customer service. On our last cruise he got us upgraded from
a cheap balcony to a FULL SUITE (526) square feet of luxury for FREE. He also
gave us a $100 cabin credit. On our next cruise on the Sapphire Princess he got us a mini-suite for the same price as an LARGE INSIDE CABIN. No joke!!!! It was during a Princess Flash Sale.

For more details e-mail me @ ksiggins@faroudja.com
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
venice

yes,yes,yes...the main source of inventory distribution for cruise lines is thru the TA community and if you have a great TA who is a "prefer vendor" with one or more lines you will always stand a better chance for many "perks"..and more important if you have a "challenge (I never say problem) the TA becomes your advocate to resolve the issue

the internet is great, a human being who knows what they are doing is even better
Old July 10th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Passenger

I went through Liberty Travel when booking my RCI cruise to Bermuda and ended up getting it 200.00 cheaper than on the RCI website. Just look check around w/ different travel agents and you'll probably find it cheaper than RCI has it posted for.
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

All you will ever need to realize the true value of a land based or internet Travel Agent is a problem. TA's can get you at least a 5% additional savings than the direct sale through a cruise line. TA's want your repeat business and will do everything possible to make your vacation memorable. Cruise Line representatives are Order takers. This is fine if you know exactly what you want and that there will be no changes, problems or snaffu's. Always do research by contacting at least 3 different agents or sites, then decide who's service, price, cabin location and itinerary are the best for you.
Bon Voyage
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to volcomsurfer724

I always find the absolute cheapest price online then take it to my TA who will always match it!
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
browezilla

You will always have a TA, either RCLs or one of your choosing. In general, web TAs or cruise sites have better pricing than RCL's website (see www.icruise.com). However, once RCL had the best price for me (don't recall why - may have involved a coupon too) and I cruised once on Costa and it was far and a way cheaper with them directly versus with another TA. In some cases, you can save hundreds off of the RCCL rate. If money is a concern, try icruise.com and their Visa card promotion. It is one of the best affinity program I've seen. Me and my friends have used it to save thousands of dollars.

If you need assistance with your travel plans, it is better to go with a TA that probably doesn't discount like the bulk web agents. The web TAs have very thin margins and usually expect that you've used the web to understand the cruise industry. If you just need a TA to take your reservation and handle payments, then most web TAs will do. I recommend reading the cruise lines web sites and sites like this one to become savvy :-)
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Ruthie

Have always booked with a travel agent...I shop around. RCCL prices are always higher and I use them as a bench mark and know I can work down from there. Triple A is also very high. Have several agents I contact each trip and usually one is willing do reduce their original quote when I advise them of the others. And I will return to that one for future cruises. I also return to ones who are knowledable and personable. Enjoying their job helps make the booking process easier all the way around.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:00 AM
WOODY

Always used a TA until this last cruise i booked for Nov. Price has always been the same as RCI fare, (bulk TA is less). Found it much easier to use my C&A coupon and my platinum memberdiscount when booking directly with RCI