Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
CruisinJames'

Default Monarch of the Seas

Any tips for sailing on the Monarch of the Seas? It would be on the 4-day cruise out of Los Angeles to San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. (There is a great article by Harry on Ensenada that anyone going there should read!...Thanks, again, Harry). Anyone else have any tips/suggestions/comments? All is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Monarch of the Seas

James,

I did a review on the Monarch from our March trip and look at Harry's pics in the gallery. An older ship but the public areas are like new after the refurbishment. We had a great time on that trip. have fun!

richard

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM
CruisinJames'

Default Re: Re: Monarch of the Seas

Thanks, Richard. Enjoyed your review and thanks for your answer. It is appreciated!
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Hey James, did want to point out that the Monarch has the rock climbing wall added after the refurbishment, too. (Not that I did it -- there are many other ways I could break my neck). :-)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
First Mate

We were on Monarch last January, hubby, me and 2 small kids in an inside quad room. We did the 4 day.

We loved Monarch, thought she looked really well, we were happy with the service. Thought the food was actually better in the buffets than in the dining room. My husband liked the sushi in Jade (there's a charge for it, but he thought it was worth it). Kids had a blast in Ocean Adventure which wasn't crowded because it was not a school holiday.

Our cabin carpet was wet, when we told our cabin steward, he took care of getting it dried out. Then we discovered why it was wet! The bathroom drains were clogged and if not careful, the water spilled out of the bathroom . I don't know why the previous occupants didn't report this, but we did, and maintenance took care of it. We placed the call to maintenance, but then also told our cabin steward who was great about following up on it to make sure it all got fixed, it did that day.

The inside cabins are quite small, but organizing all our stuff the first day was key, using the small drawers and any sheving in the closet helped, put the suitcases under the bed and dirty clothes went directly in there, then as the week progressed all was well.

As far as activities, have rented golf carts and also booked tours on the pier (not through the cruise ship) on Catalina. Also, I always stock up on bottled water and snacks and anything we may have forgotten at the Vons on Catalina to take back to the ship. The bus tour takes you up the hill and you get a really lovely view of the island/harbor from up there plus learn a bit about life on Catalina and it's history. RCI has really nice ramps to the tender boats (unlike Carnival which you have to step on to a bobbing boat -- a real challenge for my elderly mother, wish I'd have known about that difference)

Ensenada, one of my favorite things to do is take the La Buffadora tour. Again, I just book this from the tour operators, not cruise ship, safe reliable buses, great fun shopping at all the stalls on the short walk to the Blow Hole (Buffadora) (jewlry, leather goods, linens, etc, barter for great prices) and beautiful scenerey, the guides tell you about Ensenada and the area, v. interesting.

San Diego, well been there lots of times, so just strolled a bit and then took a taxi to the shopping plaza.

You'll have a great cruise, the Monarch is very nice looking ship.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
sw-cruise

I was on Monarch last Thanksgiving with some friends. It was my first cruise. The ship was in great shape and the crew was excellent. I booked a last minute deal and ended up on Deck 7 (Promenade) with a window room. I should that on this deck, people are walking right outside your window. However, it can be an inexpensive way to get a window room. Noise doesn't bother me as I can sleep through anything. I really appreciated the central location of the cabin.

If you have kids with you on the trip, SeaWorld is a short drive away (in San Diego). It could be cheaper to rent a car. Also you can get a discount on your tickets by purchasing them ahead of time on their website.