Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:35 PM
First Mate

Default Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

Wld like it clarified if the fee charged actually includes the tips for meals in an alternative restaurant or not? Usually add another $10 'cause service is always wonderful as it the food but know from a question on another board there is confusion... If some folks aren't tipping and should the 'creme de la creme' of the waiter/waitresses are getting 'stiffed'..... Happy cruisin' all :-)
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

Cover charge in alternative restaurants is for tipping, so no extra tips needed.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

Roland ,Where did you get your information that the charge includes the tip in alternative rest.?Good to hear from cruize crazy and I am more likely to agree that an additional tip would be appropriate and your $10 is my thinking also as the service appears to be outstanding each and every ocassion.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

I've heard the same as Roland, around these message boards and other cruising message boards.
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cara

Default Re: Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

Good evening all.

On our June 27 Canada cruise we ate four out of five dinners in Portofino. We had absolutely no issue with leaving $10 each night. We agreed in advance that this is where we wanted to dine and budgeted accordingly. If you truly want a nice quiet venue for two people, it is most definitely worth the extra cost.

Also, I did check with Guest Services and was told the tip was not included. I had no reason to believe this information not to be true, but then I suppose you never know. As I said, it was worth it to us.

PS: to Big D. (Big Dancer?) On the Voyager there was a wonderful group called "The Rosario Strings". We danced every single night and had a ball. Perhaps your ship will have something as wonderful.

Cara
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

According to the Cruise Compass the fee for the specialty restaurants includes the gratuity.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or

I checked with the concierge on the Serenade about the tipping at Portofinos or Chops. She said that only $1.95 of the $20.00 per person surcharge was for the gratuity. We left an additional $20.00, as the service was truly outstanding.
Ginnie
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes

Hehe... sounds like the concierge is trying to help out his buddies the waiters! <grin>
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM
First Mate

We also left a $10 tip in addition to the meal charge. I figured those waiters probably don't make that much money and we did appreciate the wonderful service at Portofino's on the Mariner.

Margie
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Alternative Restaurant Tipping - Yes or No??

Tipping is required in addition to the cover charge. On two different ships we were told by the waiter (tipping is not included) so of course we left a tip. We were also under the impression that the cover charge took care of the tip!

Happy Tipping!

Carol
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Yeoman

I wouldn't believe the waiter, quite frankly. I'd ask someone who doesn't have a vested interest. When folks have asked RCI directly, they're reported back that the surcharge does include the tip for the waiters.