Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Tova Natasha

Default booking a cruise a year ahead and are the cruises getting mo

Hi all...just posted this at Cruise Chat too. Want to know if it is better to book a cruise a year ahead, or is it more money and should I be booking a few months before cruising to get a better last minute rate.
Also, do you think that the cruises are becoming more expensive? I heard that they are about 20% higher than last year! What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: booking a cruise a year ahead and are the cruises gettin

Hi Tova Natasha - got to agree with u that cruises are getting more expensive and will again next yr too (as long as the economy stays strong that is). I wld and always do book as far in advance these days as possible - best rates - u can always keep an 'eye' out for discounting (or get your TA to do it for u ) as time progresses. It used to be better to wait 'cause they had trouble filling ships but not anymore..Hope this helps & happy cruisin'!
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Toya,
I also agree, prices seem to be up. I'd always book as soon as possible, especially if you want a specific cabin or catagory, waiting to the last minute really limits your cabin selection.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Yes, they are more expensive. After 9/11 tourism including cruising went to all time low numbers forcing the cruiselines to lower rates to lure passengers. Tourism including cruising is now on the rise (a healthy thing). I agree that booking early enough to get the early booking discount is a good idea. I've found that waiting now is not a good idea because the price often goes up, esp. if you need/want a certain type of cabin. We travel with young children so need a cabin that accommoadates 4, and those book fast and hence tend to get more expensive. You can usually get the early booking discount from 6-9 months before the cruise, I'm not sure if it's a bigger discount if you book a year in advance.

Margie
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just booked a cruise for April 2005 three weeks ago. Already it's $40/pp more now than what I paid for it. I try to book as early as possible and then just watch the prices. If they come down before final payment is due my TA gets me the credit.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

Easy to forget the old days when new ships and the "HollyDaze" sold out quickly.

We wanted to do "Route of the Vikings" on "Vision's" inaugural transatlantic so booked 16 months out. If I remember correctly it was sold out well over a year in advance.

Sad part is, I doubt that "RCI" will increase the staff size back to what it was... Oh wine steward..where did he go???
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
First Mate

I'm sure the prices are up. Seems like everything is more expensive lately. I just paid $2.29 for a half gallon of milk today. I suppose cruises will be no different.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

We have had a cruise booked for over a year, and I just checked what the same cabins are going for now, and they have gone up $140 per person, and that is only for a 3 day cruise so yes, they are going up. Book early is the best bet.

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Yeoman

The economy is definitely improving, so it is natural for prices to increase to make up for the hit the industry took during the recession.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Passenger

We're done it both ways - same ship (Voyager), same month (June), same cabin category (balcony) and here's what we experienced: For our 2003 cruise we booked 11 months in advance and paid $430/night total cruise cost (for 2 people minus trip insurance and airfare), which I thought was a good price after extensive research; for our 2004 cruise we booked 4 months in advance and paid $412/night. We were lucky to get the cabin we wanted this time, and if you are not picky about cabin location (we are) and are conveniently located to get to the embarkation port on short notice (we're not) then last-minute booking might be your cup to tea. There are some interesting looking web sites that advertise some great looking deals. Hope this helps with your decision making.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:51 PM
browezilla

I've been pricing 3 cruises, and yes, they are definitely more expensive this and next year compared to what I've seen post 9/11. Still a very good travel bargain though