Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Default VOYAGER OF SEAS: 7/30 ochos rios jamaica

HI, WE'RE GOING ON THE VOYAGER OF THE SEAS JULY 30TH. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY SHORE ACTIVITIES THAT SHOULDN'T BE MISSED? IT'S GOING TO: Labadee, Hispaniola,
Ocho Rios, Jamaica ,
George Town, Grand Cayman AND
Freeport, Bahamas

I WAS READING SOMEWHERE THAT DUNN'S FALLS IN OCHOS RIOS IS NICE. ANYONE BEEN THERE? THANKS FOR INFO.
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: VOYAGER OF SEAS: 7/30 ochos rios jamaica

If you can take the Cool Runnings catameran boat to Dunn's river as it is a blast and the best way to go as they take you from pier to beach. Either way don't miss Dunn's river. Nothing else is really worth seeing in Ocho Rios.

Grand Caymen don't miss Sting Ray City if youv'e never done it. It is best to see on a private tour of 25 people as we booked online from local tour company. Much better than 100 or so people per boat on ships tour. There are also a number of other neat things;
Turtle Farm
Seven Mile Beach
Submarine

In Labadee it's a beach day but there is much to do. Rent a jet-ski early (on-line) as they sell out fast. The water is great. Sit back and relax with a Labadoozie or have fun in the water. This is a great private beach.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We also did the Jet ski tour in Labadee and it was a gas, do pre-book that early on-line, because they do fill up quickly. I also rented a floaty mat for $10.00 early and that was nice too, in the sand and water.

We also did the falls in Jamaica and that was fun, go with a group excursion there

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Passenger

My husband and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary on the 6/18 Voyager cruise. We were also on Voyager last year for our 25th anniversary (obviously we LOVED it!)
LABADEE is a beautiful beach and the warmest water you will experience on this cruise. I would recommend bringing a small raft (I packed a "swim ring" floatie; it took hardly any room to pack, cost $1 and blew up in seconds); it cost $10/person to rent one of the rafts at the beach). Definitely experience the beach for a while (you tender there) and then WE got back on the ship and had the pool and jacuzzi's practically all to ourselves (most of the activities are closed until the last tender returns, but you can always play miniature golf ,good to do while the ship is stationary; otherwise it can be VERY windy and crowded). Last year we had the BBQ on Labadee but this time we went back to the ship for lunch (good time to hit Johnny Rockets - no crowds). Beware that the vendors in the little market on Labadee are extremely aggressive: I made it about 20 steps inside the building and had vendors grabbing me - freaked me out and I left immediately (it's hot and cramped in there too). They are all selling the same stuff too. OCHO RIOS: we went to Margaritaville (walking distance from the dock). There is a nice beach there (free) and if you are adventurous, there is a slide going thru the bar and into the bar pool. You get to the beach by walking thru the bar. There was entertainment too. I can't comment on the excursions this cruise because we didn't go on any , but I heard from fellow passengers that the Dolphin Swim (where you are actually in the water with the dolphins) was fabulous and worth the hefty price. In 2000 I did an excursion (different cruise line) that was snorkeling (crappy, we were within feet of the ship and there was practically nothing to see) and then a boat trip to Dunns River Falls, with free floating mats and beach time once there. THAT was fun (unlimited rum drinks on the boat ride over). Dunns River Falls IS worth seeing (we didn't go there this trip because my husband hates cold water - and it IS cold in the falls ) but I would go by sea and not by land (bus tour), but that's my personal preference. Be aware that if you go by land you have to pass thru a market area and the vendors (again) are very aggressive. The guides that take you up the falls will also come after you (verbally) if you don't give them a big enough tip. GRAND CAYMAN: This trip we just got off the ship to sourvenir shop, because we have spent weeks on Grand Cayman, diving, previously so are very familar with the island. Stingray City is a "must" in my opinion. It's unique and very cool - the bellys (where their mouths are) of the stingrays feel like velvet. It might not be
AS much fun snorkeling or standing in shallow water (we were diving with them) but fun anyway. On board, don't miss the Ice Jammin Show. And what WE found really enjoyable was being judges for the karaoke competition (just go there early and ask to be a judge - the first night it's a cinch to get on the judging panel; after that people are running over each other to be the first to get to the "judges' chairs"). I'm almost done; just want to leave you with a tip about embarkation: We arrived at the dock an hour before the ship was leaving and from cab to cabin was 20 minutes. Many passengers told us about waiting in line 2 hours and more (it was hot that day too) to get checked in.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

You will have an AMAZING time!! Bon Voyage!
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: VOYAGER OF SEAS: 7/30 ochos rios jamaica

THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH. YOU'VE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL. IT'S HARD TO PLAN THINGS WHEN YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. ENJOY THE REST OF THE SUMMER!