Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Default I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect my cruis

Hi all..

I have 2 bone spurs that are cutting into and inflameing my Plantar Fascia (The ligaments on the very bottom of the foot) and Achilles Tendon.

My doctor is trying to avoid surgery by giving me pain killers and anti inflamatory's along with cortisone shots on the bottom of my foot and icing it down.

If that does not work then she is going to try Physical theraphy. I would do that 2 times a week for a month or so. If that don't help then i may have to have surgery.

And I have a cruise booked in Dec.

My foot is beging to affect my job. I am a EMT (Emegency Medical Tech.) I am ALWAYS on my feet and my Doctor thinks that is how I got the bone spurs. It is getting harder to work and even do everyday things. When i am at work I am in alot of pain.

If I have surgery it seems like the timing would be a moth or so before my cruise. And It takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal all the way. Including even more Physical theraphy.

I won't know untill after the 1st round of therapy if Ihave to have surgery.

I will be on the Radiance. How hard would it be to get around with say crutches or in a cast. If I have to have it before I cruise. HOPEFULLY if I have to have it I can postpone it untill after my cruise.

Any thoughts would help!!!

Thanks Susie

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:56 PM
crusguy

Default Re: I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect my c

That's what trip insurance is for. If you can't make the cruise, you're covered.

Good luck...Hope you can make it.
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Admiral

I can't just not go... Cause if I can't go I will have to wait untill nxt year to go.. I would hate to have to do that!!!!

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:45 PM
crusguy

sounds like you really want to go. And I don't blame you. You will not be the only person on crutches( If that has to be) Some even in wheel chairs,,,,You may get better care than some with no problems..... GO! You won't regret it
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Never thought of that... Hehehehe.. I might get some special treatment... No just kidding that I really don't care about but I just am wondering what i will and will not be able to do IF i have a cast...I hope i won't be left out....

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Yeoman

What and what not to do, hmmmmmm!, if your in a cast, DO NOT GO SNORKLING, no kayaking, don't try to climb Dunn's river falls, stay out of the deep end of pools, basket ball is out. What can you do? Drink, gamble, watch shows, people watch, play on-board brain games, kareoke, and most of all EAT. You will STILL have a great time.
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Can I go swimming at all? Can I swim in the ocean? I want to. i am going E. Carb. so i am going to Coco cay, St thomas and St. Maarten.. I want to shop as well. Does Rccl let you use wheel chairs and take them off of the ship?

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect

Your cruise is roughly 5 months away, why not schedule your surgery soon so that the 6-8 weeks is up well before your cruise. I know you said you have to go through several things before they will know if you need surgery but if you plan wisely I'm sure you can either scedule it 2 months before you leave or wait until you come back. There is no way I'd want to be on crutches or in a wheel chair on a cruise unless I absolutely HAD to. And if you have a cast on any part of your body you can't get it wet, even with ocean water so that means no swimming anywhere. Schedule 2 months before or wait, that's my 2 cents.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I will Know in the Middle of Oct if I need surgery. I cruise on dec 5th. I just hope if I have it in Oct . That will be enough time to heal to be able to go.

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

ssatterly....

I just sent an email to you regarding my experience with the same foot problems. let me know if you received it. :-)

BTW....It will be coming from my other screen name....MszKitty@--------. ( I don't want you to think its spam.)

Post Edited (07-20-04 12:00)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:24 PM
2 cruise

My husband had a similar problem 2 years ago before our Hawaii cruise. He works in a hospital pharmacy, on his feet all day and his doctor gave him orthotics to wear inside his shoes and it worked. He still wears them and has had no surgery. Also rolling your foot on a tennis ball, but you already mentioned physical therapy. Best of luck.
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Woody

Skip the p.t. and everything else. Get the surgery, get it over with, go on the cruise, have fun !
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:11 PM
holden

i have the same problem (i'm a teacher). i did pt for about 4 months and it really helped. best thing i did: wear an arch support (bought at the store "the walking company") and NEVER walk around without shoes on. i usually wear sneakers (even to work when i am dressed up). the months of pt really helped, but i still have pain sometimes.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
First Mate

I concur with Woody, get the surgery sooner and enjoy yourself! If not, you will still have a good time. You will just have to drink a bit more.

Old July 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I concur with Jasonalec, just drink more. The other benefit is that the more you drink, the better you look.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Hey holden:

About how much did PT cost you? Did your health Insrance cover it?

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Passenger

I know that I am not a doctor but I have had that surgery on one foot and it took many, MANY weeks to actually get back to normal. The healing process was painful and I regret having it done. When the other foot started hurting the next year, I tried a suggestion from an herbalist to take 500 mg of Magnesium daily. After about 4 weeks, the pain was gone and the x-ray showed that there was no more spur - so therefore no more inflammation of the connective tissue. I know it sounds nuts but it works. Magnesium can cause diarrhea in some people but it also works to calm your nerves - which is always good for me!

If that doesn't work, please look into another treatment called extracorporeal shockwave. It's becoming more available in the US and it makes sense. It also has worked tremendously for friends. Don't go barefoot and wear good running shoes and Birkenstocks when you can. That really helps, too.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Admiral

The shock wave treatment IS NOT covered by my insruance and it cost about $5000 to have it done. That is something I can not afford......

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:36 PM
First Mate

ssatterly...

Just wondering...did you receive the email I sent you? If not, I can just post my advice here on the board.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:01 AM
Passenger

Just a couple of comments. First, I am not a doctor or even in the medical field.

That said, Having had a bout of Plantar Fasceitis, the best non-surgical relief came from wearing Birkenstocks!

Secondly, if you have the surgery and still have an incision that is not completely healed, use the bags that the Sunday Newspapers come in to wrap your foot. My wife recently had surgery for a Lisfrank fracture (4 pins and no weight bearing for 6 weeks) She used the bags for showering very effectively.

Finally, with foot surgery, DVT is a real possibility during flight. Make sure the Dr. gives you a prescription for an anticlotting drug. Even if the trip is 4 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:20 AM
Admiral

Lauire I did not get an e-mail from you.

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
holden

my pt was covered by my insurance. also, Dansko is a really good brand of shoe to wear too (if you want an alternative to sneaks or birkenstocks). my brother-in-law is a doctor and that what all the docs/nurses wear at his hospital. you can buy danskos at j.jill and other stores (on the web too).
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Hmm...I wonder why my email didn't go thru? Oh well...here is a copy of the email I sent:

Just from a personal point of view, I would avoid the surgery until after the cruise.

As a matter of fact, I would try everything possible to avoid surgery altogether.

I, too, have had the same problem as you. I was in such pain, that I wanted the surgery ASAP. However, my podiatrist wanted to go the less evasive route by doing cortisone shots, anti-inflammatories, and physical therapy. The thing that eventually worked the best was custom made orthotic supports to wear in my shoes. At my doctors office they took a mold of my foot and made supports made of heavy plastic. They would only fit into tennis shoes, so I couldn't wear cute shoes, sandals, etc. I wore those daily for about 8-12 months along with doing special physical therapy foot exercises. I never walked around barefoot or wore slippers or flipflops. (Oh don't get me wrong, for special occasions I would wear the cute shoes, but that would only be for a couple of hours or so for the particular special occasion. Then I would go right back to wearing the tennis shoes with the supports.) That was 10 years ago. To this day, I am pain free and have never required the surgery. And...I get to wear whatever type of shoe I find comfortable. :-)

All I'm saying is WAIT...think looonnnng and hard about the surgery. Give the cortizone, anti-inflammatories, and physical therapy time to work. A couple of months isn't long enough to be completly pain free, but it should be better enough for you to go on your cruise without having to deal with casts or crutches or wheelchairs. However, if you do decide to do the surgery, wait until after your cruise. I have a friend who had the surgery and regretted having it. Its a painful surgery and takes a long time to heal. And, apparently, there is no guarantee that the spurs won't eventually return.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
Admiral

I am going to try not to have surgery.. I sure hope I can get out of it...

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
First Mate

ssatterly....

Check out these websites regarding heel spurs and plantar facia. They are very informative. Patience...give your feet time, and you will be ok without surgery.

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

http://heelspurs.com/_intro2.html
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Yeoman

If youre stuck in a cast, avoid swimming at all, even if its the type you can get wet. The ocean and pools on board are defintely out of the question. When the water dries, your left with crusty salt and even worse, all the little critters (the ones you cant see) that live in sea water start to die and smell. Imagine your cast after a few days! Rinsing it out wont help much either!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Admiral

EEEEW I never thought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:51 AM
bevgee

I put off surgery on both of my feet for years and finally last November I had to have 2 bone spurs, a bunion and also a large neuroma removed. Ended up with an implant in my right foot and on crutches for 8 weeks after. I had a cruise schedule for January and did go through with it. The only problem was that I could not wear any shoes except sandals which I was barely able to squeeze my foot into because my foot was still so swollen. So we opted out of the formal nights and missed out on alot at ports etc.
I had the other foot operated on in March thinking that I would be back in good shape by Spring and Summer. I still am having discomfort with the first surgery but the second is going well.

My advice is to wait until after your cruise if at all possible to have surgery if you possibly can.

I am glad though that all of this is behind me now and am looking forward to cruising again in January, 2005.
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:05 PM
elen

I wouldn't want crutches on the ship. I had foot surgery last year, for a different reason, broken foot (3 screws) and was on crutches for 6 weeks and then a boot. There was a teenager on crutches for a birth defect that became friends with the group my son hung out with and he had a hard time, and the seas were not very rough, a little rocky , that's all. He ended up using a motorized vehicle like you see in the grocery store, that the ship provided for him. We'd see him at night scooting around with other teenagers hanging off the scooter! By the end of the cruise, 2 other teens were in wheelchairs and had to be pushed around everywhere by someone. (they fell somewhere....) I had a hard enough time keeping my balance on crutches on dry land. Good luck to you.
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
John L.

I concur with some of the other "doctor" postings. About 12 years ago (I'm now 68) I had terrible pain when I would walk after sitting down for a long time. The cortisone treatments plus the custom arch supports did wonders and it went away. The doc also said to wear soft sneakers, like "walking" sneaks. There are dress shoes that also have soft inserts. This spring I, again, had pain where my 2nd toe joins my foot. An x-ray showed no calcium build up and doc said it was just inflamation. The cortisone didn't work at first and he ordered new inserts from a cast. I wear them all day and took 2 Advil each morning. The pain went away and I'm down to l Advil a day. When I come into the house, my shoes come off and I sometimes wear slippers around. I noticed that the doc had an indent in the insert where I had the pain. I would put off the surgery until all else fails. Good luck with your treatments.

John L.