Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dawhiner
Default birth certificates vs. certificate of birth registration

Okay, so I'm cruising in just about three weeks with my parents and my older brother, who is almost 22. Our docs. came today and me -- the lucky 15-year-old -- got to take care of the online guest information forms. However, as my mom and I were looking through our files, we noticed that my brother's birth certificate has, erm, temporarily been misplaced. In place of it, we have the certificate of birth registration, which pretty much has the same information. It's just lacking the seal.

Can we use this as his boarding information? It's too late to get passports/visas, and it has all the information we need.

Also, can we bring copies of all four of our birth certificates? Or do we really need to show them the originals because of the seal?

Let's just say it's been about seven years since we've last cruised, and no one can quite remember any of the logistics!

Any input would be gladly appreciated!

Enchantment of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: birth certificates vs. certificate of birth registration

They are supposed to have the embossed seal, not copies. Where was your brother born? Is it possible to get a certified copy w/the seal? Or is it to far to drive to the county he was born in? You maybe should call the cruise line. Would hate to see you get to the port and they telll you that the certificate of registration is not good.

Also, does your mom have a certified copy of her marriage license? this will show her name change, as on her birth certificate it is her maiden name. So far, they have not yet asked me for it on a cruise, but last month when I went to Mexico, I had to show that. One lady did not have hers, and they were not going to let her go, but then they did. If you do not have the correct documentation, they can deny you boarding at the port.

Hope this helps you out.

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

My dad called our TA earlier and he told us the bit about the seals... that's what I had been thinking. As far as the copy, thanks for that. It's not too far, so worse come to worse, we'll get that.

Thanks for the marriage license, also! I'll let my mom know.

Enchantment of the Seas
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:02 PM
Frodo63

Default Re: Re: birth certificates vs. certificate of birth registra

I can be a little pricey, but online services will rush you a certified birth certificate.
It may be expensive, but it is certainly better than missing the cruise.
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If it isn't too far to drive, get the certified birth certificate. If it is too far use an online service if available or phone them and see if it can be sent and charged to a credit card.

The worst thing that could happen is to get to the check-in area and be denied boarding.

You can also just tell your brother he can't go. My brothers used to do that sort of thing to me all the time. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:06 PM
browezilla

For future cruises, a Passport is much better. Not only is it good for 10 years, but many cruiselines will except a passport that has been expired for 10 or less years. One big advantage is in how much faster the line moves if you have a passport versus a birth certificate...and the bc MUST have a raised seal!
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, needless to say, my mom just brought the certificate of birth registration to our bank and got it notarized... rci and our ta both said it'd be good enough

so, with that said.... two weeks!! we can't wait!

Enchantment of the Seas
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:41 AM
BoozeBabe

A Birth Certificate and a Certificate of Birth are 2 distinctly different documents in our state. A Birth Certificate IS official. A certificate of birth is NOT. On our info from RCI it said an original NOT a photocopy. The raised seal is from the county of birth and NOT a notary seal.

If I were you I would definitely take one issued by your county and get them to put their raised seal on it. They also ask for it at the airport when they ask your final destination.

My brother went to Ireland last month and had to rush 2 days before departure to get an "official" BC after he was told that most countries will not accept anything but that.

Since 9/11 all sorts of horror stories have occurred......Don't become another one.
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Sooshie

Since 9/11 the rules are definately being closely followed. The certificate of birth registration is NOT a birth certificate nor can it be used in place of one. It is simply a piece of paper that says there's a birth certificate on file for this individual. I would highly recommend getting that birth certificate.

Also I have never experienced any faster check in using a passport. The only time I experienced faster check in is by doing the embarkation papers on line.
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Its true its true, friends i know were denied their cruise because they did not have a raised seal on their BC. It has to more with immergration than with the cruise line its self.