Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:58 PM
L Diana

Default dress shorts in dining room

Are linen dress shorts appropriate for casual nights in the dining room for my husband?

Thanks.

7/30 Voyager
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: dress shorts in dining room

Only during breakfast or lunch. For dinner he could wear Dockers or similar slacks with a polo or golf -type shirt.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Passenger

I have seen men in "nice" shorts in the dining room on casual evenings. Linen sounds just fine.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Sorry,...I have to disagree with Bloomie. Check all the info regarding dress suggestions and they all say "no shorts in the dining room at dinner". No shorts means no shorts...linen or otherwise.

Breakfast and lunch, shorts are fine...but not dinner.

Post Edited (07-26-04 00:13)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I too have to disagree with Bloomie. For dining room it should be dockers, and polo shirt. Save the shorts for the windjammer.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Whoa! Good go know! My hubbie is a shorts fiend. Either we'll be doing room service or the Windjammer every night!

Old July 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM
hcat

PLease no shorts at dinner!
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

I agree and I am always in shorts, even in Alaska BUT NOT at dinner pulleeze!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:53 PM
rkamen

No shorts at dinner in the dining room.
Not only is it not appropriate, but it will rub a lot of people the wrong way. Me included.

When I go to the dining room for a mutli-course meal served by waiters and busboys, I am not interested in looking at mens legs, hairy or otherwise. It might be acceptable in Bermuda, or at your local Outback eatery, but please, let's try to preserve some of the old ambiance of cruising. What next - tasteful, clean t-shirts at dinner?

Just one man's opinion of course.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree - saw three people only one night in shorts during dinner - they really looked out of place! On the one formal night we decided to relax longer at the pool and go to a later dinner, so we merely ate at the Windjammer.

Some people even get dressed to eat dinner in the Windjammer. Most nights it is dimly lit, quiet, and easy to get a window seat.
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: dress shorts in dining room

Right on with your comments however let,s take it one step farther and mention that people should pay attenton to the written suggestons on the appropriate dress code for each nite at dinner and in particular those nights calling for formal wear.This appears not to be a problem on Holland andCelebrity as much as this line andCarnivel.This is my main peeve with those who are not willing to agree to the written suggestion put out by the cruise lines.Getting off this multi discussed subject.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Shorts are a no no in the dining room but I don't think he would be very comfortable in shorts at night anyway. It is pretty cool in there.

Old July 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
L Diana

Thanks for all your comments. My husband has never worn shorts on a cruise but contemplated it after visiting some Caribbean resorts the past few years. He agrees with all your comments and states that you're right....he will not wear them on our cruise starting Friday!!!

Thanks.
Old July 27th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Admiral

L Diana,

He can wear shorts on the cruise especially during the day for comfort, just not in the dining room for dinner.

MARINER 8/29/2004, SPIRIT 11/17/2004
Star Princess 2003, Glory 2003
Star Princess 2002, NCL Star 2002
Westerdam 2001, Inspiration 2001
Jubilee 1989, Jubilee 1991, Elation 1999
Azure Seas 1982, Tropicale 1988
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Dad Son team

Isn't the dress code a little more flexible on the 1st night? When I was on the Mariner in April, many people wore shorts the 1st night as their bags had not yet arrived in time for the early sitting, and on another night, my table mates returned very late from their excursion(ship arranged) in Cozumel, and did not have time to change. They apologized and asked if it would be ok if they ate "as is". Of course I said it was ok as I was enjoying their company.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:56 AM
hcat

They shold have gone to the Windjammer or done rm service.
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Dad Son team....

Quote:
" and on another night, my table mates returned very late from their excursion(ship arranged) in Cozumel, and did not have time to change. They apologized and asked if it would be ok if they ate "as is". "

Its nice that your table mates asked you if it was ok for them to wear shorts, but what if you thought it wasn't ok, did they really think you would tell them "no...go change"? And if you did, would they?

Being late, does not give one the excuse to not dress properly for the dining room.
They obviously made it back in time to make it to the dining room, they could have taken 5 minutes to put on a pair of long pants (or for the women, a skirt or sundress). I would rather have had them be 5 minutes late to dinner, than wear the shorts. And if they were so late that they couldn't have taken 5 minutes to change into something more appropriate for dinner, they should have eaten in the Windjammer or room service.

Post Edited (07-28-04 13:23)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: dress shorts in dining room

1st night shouldn't be a problem as sometimes luggage gets delayed or lost. I dress according to the code set forth out of respect for others and because I enjoy getting dressed up occasionaly. Once in a while my wife and I will chuckle at someone who is wildly out of their element. But how some people can allow someone not wearing proper attire to ruin their meal and their evening amazes me. I also don't quite understand why people who detest getting dressed up for a meal would want to go on a cruise where it is such an established tradition. It all goes back to consideration in my humble opinion. Some people just don't take others into account whatsoever. They live in their little bubble and to heck with everyone else. I find it so prevalent in the US right now that it is very disturbing. Even on an itnernational level, we tend to tell the rest of the world that they don't matter. Sorry.... didn't mean to get political.
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:15 PM
happytobeme

I was surprised on even the "casual" nights, how nicely MANY people were dressed. In many cultures (Europe) they tend to dress very nicely on a daily basis, so the bar is set a little higher.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:34 PM
First Mate

I agree, no shorts at dinner. Agree with jasonalec's comments.

On Mariner last april, on Formal night, saw guys at the next table wearing hawaiian shirts and dockers, these were middle-aged guys, not kids. Didn't spoil my dinner, but I thought it odd and sort of depressing that they couldn't make the effort for 2 nights to put on a jacket. And since most people cruise as a couple, you sort of have to match each other in attire, so it meant their whole table was way underdressed for formal nite. I agree that dressing up and the long leisurely dinners are one of the most enjoyable things about cruising. And if you don't like to dress up, the food at the buffet is really quite good and the setting is nice, so by all means go there!
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Passenger

O.K. everyone, when I replied about nice linen shorts, I was only replying to "Casual" night. My husband always wears long pants and nice shirts, but on Casual night I have seen men wearing very nice shorts & shirts...not jeans etc. Sorry. I, too, prefer nicely dressed in the dining room, but I have seen other... Most of our cruises are with Royal Carib. (10) and a couple of others in addition (Princess). What I have noticed over the last few years is MUCH less formality. I like to dress nicely especially on cruises, and I do like to still maintain the formal nights.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM
JD1

L Diana, your husband can wear shorts! They will not enforce the code. Quite a few men usually wear shorts in the dining room.

However, I don't think he should. It degrades the ambiance of the restaurant. It lacks class to wear shorts to the dining room.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:59 PM
hcat

Casual is not the same as casual around the house-- Shorts are for the daytime & for the ladies in some ports short shorts are even not a good idea--offensive to local sense of propriety.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Dad Son team

Laurie, my guess is that had I tolded my tablemates that it bothered me that they were wearing shorts, then they probable would have gone to the Windjammer. The reason they didn't change before they came is because they were already 20 minutes late. Also, it was a night listed as "casual", and given what other people were wearing, they we still better dressed than some. They were not shorts over bathing suits. They were nice walking shorts for a land excursion, and once they were seated you couldn't tell if they were naked. Yes, I too sometimes get a chuckle out of what people would wear to dinner, especially flip-flop's slapping by during my salad, but it is all part of the cruise. It might be annoying, and you might not agree with it, but I certainly would not let this take anything away from my cruise.
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:35 PM
First Mate

According to the RCL website, they have suggested guidlines for how to dress. They are not rules, but just some guidelines to follow. I did not post these guidelines as they are on the RCL website, but they are pretty easy to find.

Also, Nat there is no need to swear please. Thanks!

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Sorry to disagree with some, but it IS a rule NOT a guideline, NO SHORTS in the DINING ROOM for DINNER ONLY!!!! I have seen men turned away. Is it really that hard to put on a pair of slacks for dinner?

And Nat, wow, what a potty mouth. Do you kiss your spouse with that mouth? Please list the cruises you're on so we can be sure not to book the same one. Who wants that attitude.
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Know Nat, We're all cruisemate here, please use a little discretion. Most of us perfer to follow the rules. whether it be "No Shorts" in the dining room or posting messages on the boards. Do have a good day?
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

It looks like Nat is the one with the problem! Ever heard of anger management?
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM
First Mate

I've been on three different boards almost daily for three years, and I have never seen anyone post an obscenity in all that time. Guess there is a first time for everything, unfortunately.
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Passenger

Personally, I'm not concerned about what my fellow passengers are wearing, and to be honest, I really don't care what other's think about my wardrobe! Although we packed clothing for the dining room, we never made it there.

It's a vacation folks, relax and have fun!! Why are you all so concerned about what your tablemates are wearing? It's what's on the inside that really matters -- right?? Perhaps some people are too materialistic?