Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk
Default Questions about Shore Excursions in Nassau???

Hi I was wondering if any one has gone on any of these shore excursions and how they were. The Historic Harbor & Discover Atlantis tour and the Stingray Snorkel & beach break are the two excursions i'm looking into and I was wondering how they were. I went to Sting ray city in the Cayman Islands, so I was looking foward to swimming with the Sting Rays again. Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm going on the Sovereign of the Seas on Aug 30th

Thanks!!!
Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Kathy Sylvester

Default Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nassau???

We did the Historic Harbor and Discover Atlantis shore excursion. My husband and I had stayed at the Atlantis Resort for our 20th anninversary in 2000 and we wanted the rest of our family to see the resort. It was a great tour. However, be prepared for a lot ot walking once you get to the resort. Because of a lot of construction occurring, we had to walk around it in order to get to the beginning of our tour. It was also quite warm. You may want to bring bottled water with you since there is no time to take a drink or potty break.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Stingray swim in Nassau is not bad but not as good as Grand Caymen. If it is the same one we did, they have them penned in near the shore and you can swim around with them. Not nearly as nice as standing on the dune and having them swimming free.

Atlantis is nice but I felt like an unwanted visitor there. Pricey for a hotel tour. I would reccommend renting a jeep or scooter and finding a nice stretch of beach. Perhaps a chartering a boat.

Old July 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM
donnad

We are on the SOS in September and we booked a snorkle tour with Stewart's Cove. It's not through the ship. I've read some positive posts about the company and it sounds like fun. If you go to their website one of the three stops they make on the snorkle dive is they feed sharks on the bottom of the ocean if you dare to be on the top of the water. My husband is going in, I don't know if I am.
One other thing I liked is that they pick you up at the Pier early about 8:00 and you get back around 1:00 so it still leaves plenty of time for other things.

Have fun.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:50 AM
cruise chick

I just got back from the Navigator last saturday and I went to the Atlantis. Dont take a tour...buy the wrist band and walk around on your own. Than you dont feel unwanted...they don't know the difference if your a guest or not. The slides are fun and the aquarium was nice. The beaches were beautiful and the pools were very nice too, you couldn't purchase any drinks though.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nassau???

We have booked a room at the Comfort Suites for $180.00. Cheaper than doing an excursion throught the ship for 4. You get full access of Atlantis, its beaches and slides by staying at this hote. We are just going to check in, get our wrist bands and check out and enjoy Atlantis.

Old July 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from Navigator on Saturday. Also agree, don't do the tour - they are long and dragged out. Just get the armband, we got ours for $20pp, and this allowed us to use the pools, the waterslides and the beach. The pools and waterslides are not included with the tour.
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

What arm bands are you talking about and where did you get them? I was told the only way to use the pools and the waterslides was to be a guest at the Atlantis, or the Comfort Suites. If this isn't true, I am going to cancel my reservation and just get the arm bands.

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=08&year=2004&day=22&hour=16:00[/img]

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nassau???

You can take your own cab over to the hotel and buy a band. I don't recall exactly how much but I think it was ~ 20-25 for the wristband and $6 each way for the cab per person.

Old July 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM
iamlisad

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nassau??

Can anyone give more details on these armbands? If this is true, it is a complete reversal of Atlantis policy for day guests.... and very exciting news for cruisers who want to use the facilities. No offense to those who have posted, but I'm a bit skeptical. Can you throw out some more details? I may end up doing a dance of joy!
Lisa D
Pittsburgh, PA
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM
iamlisad

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nass

I called Atlantis this morning to ask if there was a new wristband policy and they denied that there is. They said you could pay an admission fee to see the dig but that's it. Makes me even more curious to hear from those who have had other experiences with Atlantis and wristband purchases. Anyone?
Lisa
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about Shore Excursions in Nass

We went to get wristbands but only had a couple of hours so we were naughty and snuck in through a service door. Neat place but I would rather find a secluded stretch of beach somewhere else and have a corona moment.

Old July 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Yeoman

I want to hear more about the wristbands as well. When we stayed there the only ones allowed in the pools/slides-even outside the hotel were those with wristbands (guests). There were "guards" posted just outside the doors. For $20 Ill do it in a heartbeat! By the way, when we stayed there, we didnt even feel like a welcomed guest. The staff rarely smiled or acknowleged us, and didnt help when there was a mix up in rooms (I wonder if this was done on purpose-I had paid for an ocean view in the "cheap" building, and they stuck us in a roof top/parking lot view in the midprice building, saying it was an upgrade. I complained and said I wanted ocean view. We did a lot of walking and lugging suitcases that day as the place is huge!). For what you pay for, its a rip off. The food isnt that great either! We ate mostly at the pool grill.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:25 AM
iamlisad

I contacted the poster who said she bought wristbands for $20 directly via email. She emailed me privately and said that while waiting to buy dig tickets at the tour desk at Atlantis, they were motioned out of line by an individual who took them outside to a van and sold them wristbands that gave them access to the pools, too, for $20 per person. Obviously, there aren't any legal arrangements for using the pools for this small price... but if you happen to run into the mysterious wristband seller or have an ability to sneak in, you're in great luck. Keep those reservations at Comfort Suites if you want to be on the safe side!
Lisa D
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

Thanks for all your help!!!

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004