Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Default Shows aboard the Royal Carribean

I am trying to plan for a cruise for the whole family next year. We just went on a cruise this year on Disney Magic. We are considering Royal Carribean next year. Can anyone tell me what the evening shows are like ?On Disney they were very family oriented. I have an 8 year old and an 11yr. old who are not really into the kids programs. I've read that the kids programs on the RCCL are wonderful but if children do not praticipate what entertainment is there available for them?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM
stuff&things

Default Re: Shows aboard the Royal Carribean

The shows on RCI are great - the ice show is wonderful, the variety shows are really good. If a show says it is for adults - IT IS. You will run into raunchy humor in those shows or a good bit of skin. RCI says if a show is for the family or if it is adult. Also the cruise director can give you good advice about this.

Old July 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM
kroozeguy

VOS has the spectacular show "Ice Jammin" (the ice show), as well as two great productions, Dreamscape, (a "Cirque de Solei" type show with people flying around that had every little kid staring at the stage) and a Broadway type musical, all very suitable and well-liked by just about everyone. Outside of these three main shows are the variety shows, comedians suitable for the whole family as well as magicians. The only thing that may bore little kids is when the variety show is solely a single singer... that could bore anyone. But we only had that 1 out of the 9 nights.
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Shows aboard the Royal Carribean

The Mariner had a great ice show your kids should really like outside of that I don't think that the shows were fun for kids under 12 - comedians and dance productions that were boresome to me. There is a large arcade but very expensive so kids don't play in there long. If they don't do the adventure club, then most kids I see are running around the ship. Not alot of activities for kids at night.
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
browezilla

Voyager-class ships will cater more to families. Many of the shows are suitable for children, although they are not targeted to children.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Kathy Sylvester

We just returned from a cruise on the Navigator. My uncle had his grandchildren with him who are 7 and 10 years old. They had a great time. I would say the majority of the shows after dinner were family oriented, especially the ice skating shows and the Broadway style show presented by the RCCL Singers and Dancers.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Also just returned from Navigator. Shows are very family oriented. A few late night shows are "recommended" for adults only, but even those are pretty benign.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Got2Cruise

You kids might be disappointed with the shows after being on a Disney ship. The shows on Adventure of the Seas were wonderful for adults, but not geared to children. The shows are more of the Las Vegas type shows. Even the Coasters, the headliners, who gave a wonderful performance, and brought the house down, are not appealing to kids, especially teens. The humor is not "raunchy", but the comedians do talk about sex, and their exes, and make many double entendres. The ice show was great. And there is a family oriented dance party. But other than that, the kids are encouraged to stay in Adventure Ocean. There is even a disco for the kids where no adults are allowed.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:55 PM
cruise chick

i just got back from the navigator. i found the shows on board to be very entertaining...the ice show should be a marvelous experience to the younger kids, but you will enjoy it too. Some of the shows are recommended for adults only, such as the newlyweds game...it was too bad...but its late at night anyway, so will they really be awake? the other thing was the quest...you may not want to take them in under the age of 11 or 12. On the navigator (and maybe others) there is the sports deck which has a rock climbing wall, ping pong, basketball, and a miniature golf course...also a roller skating area...you can rent the skates. There are also special times designated that you may ice skate. You are required to be waring long pants for this. You can rent those skates as well. Whenever i saw the kids clubs they seemed to be having a ball. You may want to try it just for a day. There is also the arcade available. If you ask your stateroom attendant, he/she will be able to provide you with a daily list of kids activities. There is also the pool to hang out at. It is quite small and i should warn you, part salt water so dont open your eyes! The chairs are plentiful but not necessarily the actual space in the pool. The bar service is quick & there are people walking around. I reccomend getting the soda cards. although the m ixed & frozen drinks are not free, they are very good. They run from 6-10 dollars and you can keep the cups...which some of are pretty neat. Other than that the kids are pretty much free to do as they please, just like any other cruiser...
have fun!
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Texas Cruiser

If you are cruising out of Galveston on the Splendour or the Rhapsody, don't expect the shows to be clean enough for your children. I would have had to leave the shows if my children had been with me. I was embarassed for the children who were there. Way too many inuindos and sexual body language in the variety, Broadway, and special entertainer shows. The only one that was suitable for children in my opinion was the talent/magic show. The Voyager class ships are better about this from what I hear. We each have our own tollerance levels for our families, so just be prepared.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Tiffani

I would have to agree- I was on the Navigator in March and will be sailing on the Voyager this coming March and I leave my children in Adventure Ocean for the shows. I get ice show tickets and they go to that- but none of the main shows after dinner. I maybe saw 2 that my children would have liked and that I would have wanted them to see. Tiff