Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Default Formal nights with kids

How dressed up do the children have to be? Can my teenage son wear a golf shirt with khaki pants? Does he have to bring a pair of black shoes? Can I get input as to what other families have done in past cruises with suitable dress clothes for kids? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM
hcat

Default Re: Formal nights with kids

Golf shirt & khakis are not dress up clothes..OK for casual night. Maybe do the buffet or room svc.on nights you don't want to have them dress up
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Gerif

He should wear whatever he would wear to a fancy evening wedding. I believe Adventure Ocean takes the kids for dinner (Johnny Rockets or Windjammer) on formal nights if the parents just want to dress up themselves and go to dinner in the dining room.
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Yeoman

If you choose to comply with the dress code, RCI has made it clear that it means suits with ties for boys, just like men.
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Absolutely not! A jacket and tie is an OK alternative to a suit, but not casual attire. He will soon be an adult and in the adult world you must dress up for formal dinner. It's better to teach him now.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Returned from Navigator one week ago. My sixteen year old son wore khakis with a long sleeve silk shirt and tie one formal night, and khakis with a plaid shirt and tie the 2nd formal night. All other nights in dining room he wore khakis or dockers with a golf shirt or a plaid sport shirt. He was perfectly attired. Then, most of the teens change after dinner so they can enjoy thier own activities. My teenage daughter wore sundresses and nice dresses, but then again girls enjoy getting dressed up a lot more than the males. My son does not have a suit, they grow out of them so fast, and I certainly was not going to purchase one just for 2 nights. He looked better than most.
Have fun.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Tiffani

I saw the teens wearing all kinds of things on Formal night when I went on the Navigator in March. I had my 6 year old in a suit and he fit in well. I would suggest a little more dressy than a polo and khaki's for your son. Although, I saw all kinds- you all would probably feel more comfortable with him being a little more dressy! Have fun! Tiff
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Passenger

my 2 boys chose to eat elsewhere on formal night. last year we insisted they dine with us, and they wore khakis with white dress shirts and ties. (i brought suitcoats for them but we noticed most kids didn't wear them). this year i let them eat at the casual windjammer cafe on formal nights. they ate with us in the dining room on all other nights. i guess it depends on how old your kids are. my boys are 12 and 15.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:40 AM
L Diana

My six year old son wore a navy blue blazer, white button down, grey pants with tie one night and bow tie another night.
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Dad Son Team

I had my 6yo DS in a suit both nights in April, and I just bought him another suit for our cruise in 2 weeks. It is part of the expense of cruising.
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM
STRAYCAT

My 15 YO step son (not usually into dressing up) LOVES to get all gussied up for formal night...go figure. I buy his suits at thrift stores (he never wears the again) then donate them back after the cruise and take the tax deduction!!!!!

Also, it is a wonderful opportunity to get a nice formal portrait of the family ( and you wouldn't want him wearing a golf shirt in a formal portrait, would you?)

I would definately wear the khakis and golf shirt to the Windjammer ONLY (or room service) on formal night!

HAVE A BLAST!!!!!

Julie
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Both my sons (at the time 19 & 9) wore suits with dress shirts and ties and dress shoes for formal nights.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM
sailgirl

We recently cruised on Empress. My almost 13 year old wore dress pants and a nice collared shirt on formal nights. No one seemed shocked. I did not want to buy him a suit when he will grow out of it quickly. I did not feel the least bit uncomfortable and neither did he. Let your kids do what he and you feel comfortable with. My teen girls byw got a lot more dressed than my son and they enjoyed it alot.
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Passenger

On our last cruise(which was actually our first cruise) my 10 y.o. son wore black dress slacks a dress shirt and tie with dress shoes for formal night and seem to fit right in with the kids there around his age. Most older guys did have the jackets and ties. hope this helps.
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:40 PM
ESS

A number of years ago, I observed a really great T-shirt. It had a tux on it - tie and all. I wonder if that would pass muster for dressing formal. After all - one is "wearing" a tux!
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dawhiner

Haha, my brother wore that tux t-shirt to his senior banquet three years ago!

Enchantment of the Seas
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:04 PM
KimG

Personally I think these "formal" nights are just for the cruise ships to have an excuse to take another picture to sell to you. I have been on at least 5 cruises and each time dress up less (my husband wears khaki's and a polo shirt) and have seen people in the dining room in shorts on formal nights. I wonder if anyone has EVER had the experience of being turned away from the cruise dining room because of how they are dressed???
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Formal nights with kids

I think there is a subset of passengers who really do enjoy dressing up, and a small subset who appreciate having their personal preference imposed more widely than normal.

Check the archives. There are reports of folks in shorts being turned away on formal nights.
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Dressing up for dinner is historical. Look back at the people on the original Queen Mary and the Titanic. It is called the Formal Dining room for a reason and only TWO nights are designated as Formal nights. The rooms are elegantly decorated. It not like anyone going on a cruise doesn't know what to expect. Would a gentleman go to a Black Tie affair in khakis and a polo? They are not asking for tuxes and my husband doesn't wear one but he does wear a suit. Because of those who don't like to or don't want to be bothered, they have the buffet and other choices. And yes, on at least 3 separate cruises, I have seen men in shorts not allowed in the formal dining room on CASUAL nights. It's just out of respect for the art of cruising and for their fellow passengers, the ones that enjoy the traditional style of cruising. You don't have to get your picture taken and you most definately don't have to buy a picture.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM
cricket55

Dressing on on formal nights is not "just" about following the rules and what "you can get away with". As a courtesy to the other passengers, you should make an effort to comply with the dress code if you plan to eat in the dining room, otherwise there are lots of optional places to eat for those that just aren't into getting dressed up, or can't afford it. If you do go to the dining room for formal nights, boys should at least wear a sports jacket and nice pants with a shirt and tie (what my 17 year old son wore) and girls can always dress up a nice sundress and wear nice shoes. It's only for about and hour and a half, they can stand it for that long.

In my opinion, very small children should not attend the late seating of formal night in the dining room, again as a courtesy to others on this special upscale occasion. I'm sure some will disagree with me but we had a table of very rude mothers who completely ignored their toddlers banging spoons on plates, running around the room and being very loud and rowdy, which really ruined our dining experience. it's one thing on the casual nights (and even that's still not considerate to others) but at least let us enjoy the formal nights.
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Yeoman

> Dressing up for dinner is historical.
> Look back at the people on the ... Titanic.

And that worked out so well!

<grin>

> It is called the Formal Dining room for a reason

It actually isn't called the formal dining room. It is called the main dining room.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...23&shipCode=SR

> Would a gentleman go to a Black Tie affair in
> khakis and a polo?

Of course not! That's because it is a "Black Tie affair". Not a "suggested Black Tie affair" or even a "suggested formal" affair.

> They are not asking for tuxes and my husband
> doesn't wear one but he does wear a suit.

You do realize that this violates the "historical" aspect you highlighted earlier, with respect to the original QMII and the Titanic. Suits would not do, back then! Time change, and continue to change.

> Because of those who don't like to or don't want
> to be bothered, they have the buffet and other choices.

You can choose to see it that way, but other folks can as readily and legitimately choose to see those simply as faster dining choices. From their perspective, if suits were required, then the dress code would say "suits required" -- and they're just as correct and appopriate as you or I, dressing in a dress and a suit (respectively).

> It's just out of respect for the art of cruising

Cruising isn't an art. Rather, not wearing shorts in the dining room is out of respect for our hosts, the cruise line, who require long pants there.
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Brian J

It is crazy to dress up. Hell you are on vacation you should be able to wear shorts and a tee shirt.
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Yeoman

There are cruise lines that do allow that, Brian J. Check out Windjammer Cruises.