Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Atlantis - Beach Break

We are cruising next month and are looking for something to do in Nassau. I heard the stingray swim isn't as good as the one on Grand Cayman. How easy is it to get to Atlantis?? We are only there for 1/2 day. Our ship sails at 2:00 so I don't want to venture to far on our own. I would rather take the ships excursions to play it safe but don't see any that sound like much fun for 12 and 15 year old boys. Any suggestions??

Old July 30th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sportsgalcourtney
Default Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

my parents and i took a water taxi to atlantis (try to get there before 10 if possible, so you can look around for free without paying) then we walked down the street and went to the beach it was very nice...and we did it all for free :-)
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Passenger

oh yea...im 15 and i thought it was fun..if that helps any
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from Navigator one week ago. Took land taxi which is quicker than water taxi. Water taxi waits until it is full to leave the pier. We purchased tour bands for $20pp from a Dive Shop employee with turquoise shirt who approached us - tour is usually $29pp if purchased at the tour desk. (His white van with Dive Shop on it was also parked outside the main lobby entrance.). These bands gave us and my teenagers access to the water slides which they really enjoyed, and the aquarium and the "dig" site and the beach and pool. The only thing not included was the ability to purchase beverages, although they did provide bottled water to 2 in our party who had to take meds. We made it back to the ship in plenty of time. Most of the tours arranged through the ship are more expensive, and the people were still standing in long tour lines on the pier as we left.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

Thanks for the info. What other excursions did you do? We still haven't decided on any for St. Thomas or St. Maarten. Were there a lot of things to do for teenagers? My youngest is only 12 so he doesn't fall into that category but my other son will turn 15 two days after we get back from our cruise.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

Thanks for the tip. So is the ship at a dock or do you have to tender back and forth? How long was the taxi ride to Atlantis? I have a day room booked at the Comfort Suites so that we could use the facilities at the Atlantis, but I am thinking on canceling this and just going on our own like you and others have done.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:51 AM
iamlisad

Default Re: Re: Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

Kimmie -
If you are certain you want to use the pools, I would not cancel my comfort suites room. You can't be certain that you will run into the guy selling the wristbands out of his van. Even though he was wearing a dive shop shirt, I suspect this is not above board. Atlantis flatly denies that they are selling wristbands for $20 per person that includes pool priveleges. If you go on your own and buy the pass at Atlantis, it only gets you in the Dig and the beach. So if you want to use the pools for sure, I think you're safer to go the route endorsed by the resort rather than taking such a chance. I was really disappointed to learn that it seems that these wristbands are not legit but are actually being sold on the black market.
Anyway, have a great time on your cruise -
Lisa
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

You are right and thats why I have yet to cancel. I am just wondering how much time we will actually have since we are only there from 8-2. Do you know how far Comfort Suites is from Atlantis? How far are they from the ship? My concern is that we will be cut short for time and not get to do either.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Got2Cruise

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Atlantis - Beach Break

The Comfort Suites is literally across the road from the Atlantis.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Passenger

they are probably about 2-3 miles from the ship not very far at all. there are alot of teen activities to do on the ship so your sons should have a good time
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
iamlisad

Kimmie -
I'm just "assuming" (and that's a bad thing) that the pools at Atlantis probably don't open until 9 am. If you are scheduled to sail at 2, you probably are supposed to be back on the ship at 1 - 1:30. Factoring in your taxi ride, time in movement, etc., etc., your time for using the pools is probably around 3 hours in reality. You just need to ask yourself if this is a reasonable price for a three hour excursion. I suspect that with my kids (13 & 14) three hours in the pools at Atlantis would be a teaser and they would not be happy about leaving so soon and an excursion that was supposed to be fun (and cost me a lot of money) could become a stressful and unhappy situation. If you're dealing with older teens, this may not be a problem.
Have you been in Nassau before? If not, have you considered just walking around downtown and then perhaps going to the beach at the Colonial Hilton within walking distance of the pier? This is what we're doing on our next cruise.
My kids, and most teens I've met, enjoy the social aspects of cruising more than anything else. I've learned (sadly) that what we do in port pales in comparison to the friends they have made and the shipboard activities in which they participate.
Just some more for you to consider...
Happy planning!
Lisa D
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Comfort Suites is just across the street from the old main entrance to Atlantis. Taxi's wait just outside the pier where you dock but usually wait to fill up to leave. Tell the driver you do not wish to wait around. Taxi fare was $4 per person each way. The drive is short but so is your time in port. If you just pay for a tour of the Dig @$25 each, I don't believe that gives you access to their pools or the Water slide. Contact Atlantis directly to confirm this. If you just want beach time, walk around inside Atlantis them leave by the old entrance, turn left go to the next hotel which was a Sheraton but may be a Marriott now and you should find public beach access there. You will need to leave the island no later than 1 p.m. to be back on board in time for departure.
I know the expense of the Comfort would not be justified for my family for such a short time.
Bon Voyage.
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

i suggest snorking off of Athol Island in Nassau. I did it in June and it was great!