Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
RI_Tom

Default Cape Liberty

Hi all,

I'm going to be on VOS on 8/27 and due to the Republican Conv in town that weekend I was thinking of avoiding the traffic by taking Amtrak down to Newark and then Taxi over to the port. Has anyone else done this? How far is the port from the Amtrak station and how much did the taxi cost? Are taxis easy to get at the end of the cruise at the port?

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Dan p

Default Re: Cape Liberty

You will have to take the amtrax to Newark ,then a cab from there.i think it will cost you about $50 for the cab it will take about half hour or so to the ship.You do not say where you are coming from?It may be easier to drive,but not sure how much it will cost to park there.BTW I used to work in Newark.
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM
RI_Tom

I'm going to be coming from Providence, RI which is an easy drive but as a backup I'm considering Amtrak just because I'm hearing horror stories from my NY friends on how they plan to get around that area during the convension.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Aloha512

Hi Tom

I'm also cruising on Voyager on 8/27. Three more weeks....... can't wait! I know you're excited too. Anyone you know on this cruise going solo and looking for a buddy to hang out with??

Was wondering the same thing with the taxi situation. Heard there aren't too many of them.

See you on board!

~Salli~
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to ydoodle

Have you thought of looking at limo services from Newark airport? We've taken then before and actually saved money. Since there were 5 of us with 2 pcs of luggage each,. a taxi seemed out of the question. The car was definitely more comfortable to ride in.

Nancy
Old August 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cape Liberty

<<I'm going to be coming from Providence, RI which is an easy drive but as a backup I'm considering Amtrak just because I'm hearing horror stories from my NY friends on how they plan to get around that area during the convension.>>

Tom,

Assuming you would be driving from Providence via I-95? If so, you can (and definitely should) completely avoid going Manhattan. You can take I-95 to the George Washington Bridge, go over the bridge into NJ, and continue on I-95 south (NJ Turnpike south) to exit 14A. From there take 440 south and you will see signs for the cruise terminal. Parking is $12/day.

There is also RCCL bus service from Providence if you would rather leave the driving to someone else.

Here is a link with info about getting to/from Cape Liberty.
http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/i-capeliberty.pdf

Have a great cruise. The Voyager is an awesome ship!

Carnival - 3 times
NCL - 1 time
Premier - 1 time
Cunard - coming up soon
Staten Island Ferry - many times
QM2
Explorer of the Seas
Veendam
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Passenger

i just drove (july 30) from massachusetts and had no problem. you don't go into ny at all. just follow the directions from the post above. that's the way we went. the only problem was the bottleneck at the toll on the way home. it was somewhere before the g. wash. bridge. we were stuck in traffic for about 40 minutes. the rest of the ride home was very smooth. enjoy the cruise. we loved it!