Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What happens if theres a hurricane???

We are cruising in 10 more days and are watching Hurricane Bonnie and Charlie. They will be long gone before we leave but I was wondering what does the cruise line do if there is a hurricane in the area? Will the cruise be cancelled or what is the standard procedure??

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:22 AM
aqusis

Default Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

The only reason they will cancel your cruise completely is if your port of embarcation takes a direct hit. If the hurricane is in the area of one or more of your ports, they will either take you to a different port, skip the port completely, or entirely change your itinerary. We cruise in less than a month. You just need to be flexible this time of year and realize that your itinerary may change. I don't worry, as long as we're on the ship and they take me somewhere with the sun and a beach, I'm happy!
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

I agree! I just want to go where the sun is shining!! We booked all of our excursions thru the ship so if they decide to change the itinerary we will be alright! I just hope we get out of port without another storm. This year seems to be a bad one already!!
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM
First Mate

The cruise line has already changed some ports of call due to the weather. We experienced weather related changes when we were on a cruise. Don't worry they have all the available radar to keep up with what is going on. They know 24 hours ahead of time. Relax and let the Captain get you to the wonderful ports. Have a great cruise.

Old August 14th, 2004, 01:53 AM
First Mate

They will adjust the itinerary if neccesary to minimize rough waters. The ships have sophisticated live radar and they can easily avoid problem areas.

Old August 14th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

jasonalec are you going on the navigator on august the 21st??
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Yeoman

Have you seen theres a new tropical storm Danielle and a new depression #5 out there. Be prepared for possible changes!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 14th, 2004, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Patricia

Yup... can't wait!

Old August 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

oh cool!! I'm on the same cruise as you!!
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Where are you from?? I'm from Holland and this is my first cruise.
Have you been on a cruise before??
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Brian J

Re Hurricane Danielle - it is mid atlantic - will not effect any caribbean cruises
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dawhiner

Earl will!!! My cruise tomorrow has already been rerouted from Key West to Freeport, and then back to Cozumel and Belize City assuming Earl doesn't close in on us a few days earlier than expected.

Watch out for Earl... it should hit the Western Caribbean within a few days.

Enchantment of the Seas
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:32 PM
First Mate

I'm from Colorado. I've been on this ship once before and 10 other cruises. Mostly Voyager class. Perhaps we can meet up for a drink.

Old August 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
dissappointed

Be careful if you decide to cruise on Royal Caribbean. We drove all the way down to Florida to sail on Soverign of the seas and saw our ship pulling out 3 hours before scheduled due to Hurricane Charley. People were in line, even had their luggage on board and they just shut the door and left with out them. Some people were told that they would leave early and then went to shop around and the boat still left with noone around. Understandable that the coast guard made them pull out, however, they had terrible crisis intervention and customer service. The RCCL people were rude, unsympathetic and even brash. The kicker is that they are planning on refunding our money and giving us a 25% discount toward a future 3 day cruise… that’s it. Every other place in the Florida area had an announcement about closing early (Disney, Kennedy Space center). Not RCCL. We pulled up to the gate and there was no one around. We had to wait for an hour and a lot of phone calls until someone finally came out to tell us what was going on. Don’t get cruise insurance either. It did no good. Bottom line is that this company did not do what it needed to make the customer happy and wanting to return. We have a cruise booked in December and we’re going to cancel it. I do not want to cruise with another RCCL.
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

that sounds like fun!!
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM
lisa croce

Hey Kimmie

Are you going to be on the Majesty?
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

what did you think of the navigator??
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, we are sailing on the Mariner. What itinerary is the Majesty going?? I sure hope the seas aren't too rough because of the preceeding storms!

Old August 16th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kimmie -

Just keep checking the RCCL website for HURRICANE UPDATES.

RCCL lists most changes to itineraries on their site.

Have a great trip!

Sharon

Voyager 9/04
Empress 7/04
Serenade 9/03
Horizon (Celebrity) 9/01
Monarch 1/97
Sovereign 2/96
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
First Mate

Patricia... Loved Navigator, thats why we are sailing her again. The steakhouse is awesome (extra charge but well worth it)

Old August 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

ok thanks fo the tip!! I'll try it !

Anymore tips??
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Here are some veteran Voyager class tips. The ship does not seem crowded but there are times when strategy helps.

Sometimes you can get a free spa treatment if you get onboard early and volunteer to be on display while they give tours of the spa.

Make your reservations for Portofino and Chops when you board to get the days you want. The maitre d will have menus for the week to help decide which days you may want to pass on the main dining room.

Also book any of the smaller, more popular excursions immediately when you board. You can do it via the tv in your cabin if you have not yet done it on their website. The Malfini beach tour in Labadee only takes a handful of people for example.

Check you dining time. If you have early seating and want late (or visa versa), go to the main dining room and put your request in as soon as possible. We like to be able to return to the boat at a leisurely pace and work out before dinner so we always take the late seating but we are used to eating late.

Try to get out on deck early on sea days. Sometimes it can be tricky getting a chair on deck. Don't save chairs. It only makes things worse when everyone saves chairs.

A few of my favorite things....

Reading a book on the promenade. Usually empty and very peaceful.
Floating in the adult pool at dusk. Again, usually completely empty and very relaxing.
Going to the front of the ship at sunset.
Wining piles of money at the craps table
Late afternoon snacks at Johnny Rockets (lunch can be crowded)
Chartering sailboat for a cruise to nowhere

Ahhhh.....

Old August 18th, 2004, 10:08 AM
vegasstakes

Default Re: Re: Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

will be on the Mariner on 8/22 also. What is your handle? Are you on C.C. also?
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

we sailed on the navigator in July - our first cruise - and we had a WONDERFULLY FANTASTIC time. We are now hooked and will continue to cruise!
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

3 days and counting!! We can't wait!! Now I have to finish packing!! What excursions are you doing??

Old August 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Brian M

jasonalec, what time do you suggest getting a seat at the pool?
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:09 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What happens if theres a hurricane???

Doing the Malfini beach tour in Labadee and planning to charter a boat in Jamaica. Probably go to the sting ray city in cayman and rent a scooter and find a nice beach in Mexico.

Shouldn't be a big deal but on sea days it is better to try to get out before 10. I prefer to sleep in and slug it out myself or read a book on the promenade. I can't sit still in the sun very long. 1am here and I just finished packing. Gonna be a crazy day at work to get everything done. Can't wait till I start making my way to the airport and putting the real world behing me!!!

Anyone wanna make a meeting spot, I'll probably be in the 19th hole for disembarkment.

Old August 20th, 2004, 06:51 PM
First Mate

I don't remember the name of the hurricane....but I was in one last summer on Rhapsody of the Seas on RCCL. The hurricane was supposed to come into the gulf of Texas on Sat or Sun and we were sailing out of Galveston on Sat at 4pm. I called RCCL to see if the cruise was still on the Thurs. prior to sailing and they said, "yes, the ship will sail around the storm". Well, guess what? Sometime after midnight that first night we left port, we were in the hurricane with sustained winds of 110-120 mph for about 12 hours. Couldn't sleep the whole night due to the severe rocking (and we were in the middle/lower part of ship with least movement) and the incredible "thunder" we kept hearing as the waves hit the ship. It was impossible to walk without holding on to something the next morning. I was told by a crew member that many of the crew were sick during those 12 hours! Everyone took bonine (anti-motion pills free to passengers) and went to bed. That's all you could do until about noon the next day (Sunday), because you couldn't sit or stand without getting sick. I felt that RCCL took a big risk by sending that ship out into a hurricane, instead of cancelling or rescheduling. It would have been a disappointment to miss the cruise...but the scare of bobbing like a cork in a violent storm in open seas was worse! Cruise lines should offer passengers the option of getting a refund rather than forcing you to take a chance and go or lose your money. P.S. - We did have a good time after the sailing out of the storm and we were glad it was over at the beginning of the cruise so we could recover for the rest of the trip!