Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:29 AM
dissappointed

Default Never will cruise with RCCL again

Be careful if you decide to cruise on Royal Caribbean. We drove all the way down to Florida to sail on Soverign of the seas and saw our ship pulling out 3 hours before scheduled due to Hurricane Charley. People were in line, even had their luggage on board and they just shut the door and left with out them. Some people were told that they would leave early and then went to shop around and the boat still left with noone around. Understandable that the coast guard made them pull out, however, they had terrible crisis intervention and customer service. The RCCL people were rude, unsympathetic and even brash. The kicker is that they are planning on refunding our money and giving us a 25% discount toward a future 3 day cruise… that’s it. Every other place in the Florida area had an announcement about closing early (Disney, Kennedy Space center). Not RCCL. We pulled up to the gate and there was no one around. We had to wait for an hour and a lot of phone calls until someone finally came out to tell us what was going on. Don’t get cruise insurance either. It did no good. Bottom line is that this company did not do what it needed to make the customer happy and wanting to return. We have a cruise booked in December and we’re going to cancel it. I do not want to cruise with another RCCL.
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Tbutler

Default Re: Never will cruise with RCCL again

I am sorry you missed your ship, but.... didn't you know there was a hurricane coming? You say that you weren't contacted, how are they suppose to contact you when you are on the road? Also, RCCL has no control over what the coast guard tells them to do! If they tell them they have to leave at 3pm, they leave at 3pm.

I would still give RCCL another try, they are a great cruise line.
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Never will cruise with RCCL again

I agree. We are cruising this Sunday out of Port Canaveral. I have already been checking for updates. I guess thats the chance we all take booking during hurricane season. It would be AWFUL if that happened to us, but, with a Hurricane coming and posing dissaster I can see them having to get out. If I were you I'd chalk it up to bad timing, take advantage of the 25% off and try it again.
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM
venice

I suspect you may be more upset with yourself than RCL. Just curious, was this your first cruise ? if so it would explain your disappointment..you indicated they gave you a full refund and 25% towards a future cruise. In light of the weather situaion at that point, I think that is good customer service. If you stop and think about it, RCL did the prudent thing
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:13 AM
my $.02

I agree. If you knew that Charly was coming, why would you only plan on getting there 3 hrs ahead of time? Sounds like bad planning to me.
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Passenger

It's called Hurrican Season for a reason ... that's why the cruises are cheaper during this time of year. You really have to plan ahead and watch the weather. I agree, arriving only 3 hours before a scheduled departure is just not enough time. I would give RCL another try.
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Admiral

This is a classic example of the disturbing socieital trend toward not taking responsibility for ones actions and unwillingness to accept explanations for changes in plans. Trust me when the CG says it is time to go, it is time to go. They don't make commands like that on a whim. Can you imagine if disappointed was on board and they didn't leave early and the boat was almost swamped in heavy seas? Same litany, different complaint. All I can see is that RCCL made it right by refunding and offering a 25% discount. I am a rookie cruiser and wouldn't dream of showing up a mere 3 hours before sailing. In fact I am flying into Ft Lauderdale a day early for safety's sake. I will be at the dock early and will stay on the boat until it sails. You can also bet that if Danielle or Earl become a threat (thank goodness doesn't look that way so far) I would be in touch w/ RCCL frequently to monitor changes.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM
hcat

Always best to arrive a day ahead--unless you live in the area>
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is disappointing, but it would be appropriate to find out all the circumstances before you rush to judgement about Royal Caribbean. Maybe the word from the Coast Guard came down to them with no notice at all. If they had any warning I hope they would have been rushing the people in line on board.

Out of curiousity - was the line going onboard slow? Was the photographer stopping everyone boarding and taking pictures? How were things being handled in general?

Can you be more specific?

Old August 16th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Yeoman

> This is a classic example of the disturbing socieital
> trend toward not taking responsibility for ones actions

While I agree that this does sound a bit like Entitlement Mentality, I hope an earlier poster hit closer to the mark:

> I suspect you may be more upset with yourself than RCL.

I hope the OP calms down and see the situation differently.
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I visit the RCCL website everyday and noticed the HURRICANE UPDATE on their web page days before the SOS sailing. The SOS early departure notice was the first listed. Just like flying you should always check the day before to make sure no changes have been made to your itinerary. Also, seeing that Charley was scheduled to arrive you should have checked their website for updates.
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think by leaving early was out of Royal Caribbean's control, but up to the coast guard from what I have read. It is unfortunate for you and all the others, but they still has the safety of the passengers onboard to consider. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think by being upset with Royal Caribbean isn't the answer and unfortunately there was no way to get in contact with everyone. At least you did get come compensation.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Passenger

This person posted the exact same thing in ******. A couple of people accused the op of purposely bashing rccl rather than trying to engage in some custructive conversation about the issue. The op never responded and now it looks like the thread has been pulled.
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:09 PM
First Mate

I made it to the ship for 2 reasons: 1) I knew a hurricane & storm were affecting the area & I called RCI Wed., Thurs 2) I went ahead of time (Thurs evening to Jax); I called Fri MORNING; I was told by RCI to get to the ship as early as possible, I did. I made the boarding.
Best cruise lesson I've learned from experience: GO THE DAY BEFORE!

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:13 PM
First Mate

P.S. to prev. post: any questions about this cruise welcome but it was great; this was RCCL of the past.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM
First Mate

Can't blame em for being upset. If it happened to me I would be too (no matter if the weather, RCL or myself was at fault). I'm sure after a cool down period dissapointed will reconsider. Under the circumstances, I'm sure the people at RCL were under a great deal of pressure and probably were not as nice as they could have been. Can't we all just get along??

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

I'm cruising on the Sovereign on Aug 30th. should I contact RCCL the night before and the morning of just to make sure? What is a good time to get to the port? We'll be driving from Sarasota?

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Formulachk,

I live in St.Pete. August 30th is a Monday. Leave early in the Am to avoid traffic in Tampa and the construction through Lakeland. Once you get to the Beeline, it is smooth "sailing". Last time I went on the Sovereign, I made it from St Pete to Port Canaveral in under 2 hours and it was 150 miles. That was a Sunday though. I have arrived at the port before 11 AM and onboard before noon.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Admiral

We do not delete threads or posts on anyone that honestly expresses their feeling on something and explains why. Doesn't matter if they are right, wrong, indifferant or whatever. People have the right to feel free to express themselves openly.
That said, I personally would never get off the ship to browse around Miami or any other port once I had checked in. Too much to do onboard compared to wandering around town, especially when you are aware there is bad weather in the area.
Jim

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Passenger

These are the things that make cruising an adventure, be prepared for change and enjoy the trip.

Freedom of Seas 1/10, Carnival Freedom 1/08, Carribean Princess 1/07, Navigator of Seas 1/05, Voyager of Seas 7/04, Conquest 12/03, Explorer of Seas 1/02, Victory 12/00, Triumph 9/99, Paradise 12/99, Big Red Boat 12/94, Noordam 1/90, Volendam 5/82

Old August 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM
KandK

I have to agree that one must consider the time of year one is traveling and potential weather. We are traveling in December and always travel the day before. We have that nasty thing called SNOW and it can shut down an airport for a day, or just a few hours. Just long enough to help us miss the ship if we were to travel on out sail date.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM
leightex

Where was your travel agent? RCCL & CCL both contacted me and I advised my clients. All were protected on alternate sailings and airline tickets changed prior there departure from home.

David
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sorry you missed your ship but as mentioned before, you booked during hurricane season. It's really impossible for RCI to contact thousands of people individually, that's what The Weather Channel and their web-site is for. If you know a storm is coming, you prepare accordingly. I knew when and where it was going to hit and I live in New England.

I will say this though, I'd be very upset too if my cruise didn't happen when I expected it to but I would definately not hold this against RCI, it's a wonderful cruise line and I have the best vacations with them.

Anything can happen at any time to ruin a vacation, especially a cruise. We always arrive a day before because you never know. Take advantage of the refund and discount and book another cruise with Royal, I'm sure you will not be dissappointed again. I'd bet that every other cruise line docked in Florida had to do the same thing and I'm sure there were a lot of vacations ruined but that's the chance you take when you cruise this time of year, unfortunate but not unusual.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Yeoman

I think you're talking to the wind, here, folks.
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Admiral

I agree w/ Bicker, this apprears to be a hit and run post.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just want her %25 off coupon.I love rccl
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well.... even if it IS hit & run its a valuable post for others to read. The reality with everything these days is that the supplier of anything product has claimed limited responsibility when things go wrong and the customer always has to bear some responsibility.

Old August 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

Good point! It is important to always know what you're actually buying, so you don't rely on erroneous expectations.
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Tiffani

I was almost late for my first RCL cruise- luckily we were on the charter bus by them and they held it for us- but that was too close for my comfort. So, we are heading down the day before this next time and plan to be there as soon as we can get on board. I have learned my lesson and will be an early bird from now on.
I am so sorry that they left without you- I would have been so disappointed myself. I do have to agree with everyone though- do not give up on them- use the great discount and try them again.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
hcat

For peace of mind do not cruise in Hurricane season...but always get there early!