Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Default Friday the 13th: Sovereign vs Charley

I just wanted to give a short review of our 3 day cruise on Sovereign last weekend. I had reservations about doing a 3day, thinking that the service would not be good & we would be over run by out of control kids. Nothing was further from the truth.
Starting out last week, we watched Bonnie & Charley gather force & start a march toward Fla. that could ruin our cruise but we were determined that we would go if nothing had changed by Thurs. We left Thurs afternoon to overnight in Jax & get to Port Canaveral early Fri & start the party as soon as we could get on the ship.
At the hotel Fri AM we watched as Charley made his intentions known to SW Fla. We called RCI & were told Sovereign would put to sea @ 3PM so its off to Port Canaveral.
When we arrived we dropped the luggage off, parked & started embarkation. I was very impressed w/ the way its handled @ P.C. we were on the ship in no time. We ate lunch as we were told that the cabins would not be open until 1pm. When we got to our room our luggage arrived shortly after but it is off to the pool & try out the "sea pass".
I must say I was impressed w/ the number of waiters @ the pool & how quickly they came to know their customers. This was the way it used to be on all RCI ships. ( note: we had sailed Serenade in Jan & did not even see one waiter @ the pool & half the time one of the pool bars was closed)
At about 1:30PM the captain announced that all persons not sailing were to leave the ship immediately that Sovereign would leave ASAP. We were leaving port @ 2:30pm.
It was sad to see cars lined up @ the locked gates.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Disgruntled

Default Re: Friday the 13th: Sovereign vs Charley

Glad you had a good time. You probably had great service because the ship was only about half full. I was one of the cars at the locked gate. In fact I was the sixth car back from the gate. I drove over from the west coast of Florida running from the hurricane and arrived 10 minutes too late. It was alittle disheartening when we got there and they would'nt let us on. Royal Caribbean did agree to a 25% discount on our next cruise. The problem with that is It has to be the same type of booking as this cruise and it has to be taken before Dec. 15 2004. Well, I have looked for a new cruise to take advantage of the discount but there is nothing available, so basically I am out of luck. Anyway, I'm glad the people that went did get to have fun.
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:18 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Friday the 13th: Sovereign vs Charley

I'm sorry you were late. Now I understand why people were upset with the discount offered. Its not always easy to fit even a short cruise into such a restricted time frame.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"