Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Sharon Coray

Default Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas

Hello Curises mates,
I just got back from the first Atlantic crossing of the Jewel of the Seas. This was a wonderful cruise, I can't say enough good things about it! Gorgeous weather in each port. The staff were so friendly and they worked very hard, we had to trun around out of Ireland during the night as a women took ill and the helicopter could not get to us becasue of fog. Then the following morning a gally worker fell and broke his neck in the galley and was killed. It was a very sad thing as he was so young and left a family.
This ship is absoultley beautiful, and I felt so blessed to have been on it going on its maiden voyage across the atlantic, we had such good weather. I plan to put up a site and show our trip and will let this board know as soon as I do it. If you want me to answer any questions you can e mail me now at shiningfeather@comcast.net. One thing, they let you purchase liquor in the store on borad and did not hold it for you until you docked. We could buy mini bottles and take them to our room and have a drink if we wanted or we could buy the large bottles.
I do have one pet peeve, and that is the spoiled Americans on the ship who think it is their duty to critique everything that is going on. The complaints about the lack of the little bottels of lotion and shampoo in the room, just sent me over the edge. There was shampoo and conditioner in the shower, the room was beautiful, the service was great and they complained about the little bottles of lotion! I was emabrassed for my fellow American passengers quite a few times as I heard them get real ugly about the smallest things......I actually apologized to a lady who was the person helping the passengers on the buses at the end of the cruise because a women in front me acted like a real *****!. She was pushing her way through the crowd like she was the only one who wanted on the buses, the nice RC lady politely asked her to wait a minute and keep the area open so everyone could get on the bus, instead of waiting her turn, she yelled in her face, "Just wait a minute", there was no cause for this treatment, and I was embarassed for her total lack of class!
Also to the ladies who put thier bare feet on the chairs in front of them in the theater, you really showed the world your ignorance! And to all the people who seem to think it was ok to butt in front of others who had been waiting in a line.....well guess what, your not the only people who count! Just learn to wait your turn.
We are so blessed here in America, I just could not fathom why one would go on a cruise and ***** the whole time about things that didn't matter. They tried to ruin it for lots of happy people who just had the best cruise ever, me included. The next time I am seated by a "complainer" I am going to get up and leave. If your whole goal is to be the ship "critiquer" why don't you just save your money and stay home??? Perhaps this is thier way of getting out of tipping, if they complain a lot then they may feel it is ok to not tip those nice people who serve them!
OK I am off my soap box, all in all this was the best crusie, best ship and great food.
I highly recommend it to anyone who loves to sail!
Sharon Coray
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas

You are so right about the behavior of fellow passengers. I was on the Jewel of the Seas goin gto Scandinavia and St. Petersburg from 5/28/-4 to 6/09/04. There was pushing, jostling, and just plain bad manners throughout the ship.

Passengers were walking everywhere in torn shorts, t shirts and flip flops. I'll have you know it was not warm.

What I resented the most was on formal nights, when we all dressed up, there were passengers in shorts, etc. all over the ship (granted, not in the dining room.) I felt that was totally inappropriate nevertheless. Why must my fellow Americans (especially the younger ones) be so darn informal and downright sloppy?

Joan
Old September 12th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sharon.
Its great to hear you loved Jewel, we're scheduled to be on her in Jan, can't wait. Did you take some pics you can post in the Gallery, we'd love to see them.....

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
emmy

Sharon,
Thanks for posting your thoughts on your Jewel cruise that brought her over to this side of the ocean as she gets ready to do some Caribbean sailings later.

We will be on her last Caribbean sailing this upcoming season April 23/05 last sailing before she heads back over the 'big pond'

Will look for any photos you may post... would love to see them.

Emmy
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Why should people outside of the dinning area be dressed formally? This is a vacation for people and most just want to be comfortable and relax. The formal night is only for the dinning area so why does it matter to you what people are wearing. People get dressed up for work everyday of there lives and so what if they enjoy being comfortable. I understand maybe torn clothing isn't o.k but what is wrong with wearing shorts and a t-shirt inside of a ship. Hope you don't go on cruise in warm weather were everyone walks around in bathing suits.
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas

Dear sandman,

Who says formal night(s) is/are only for the "dinning area"? And what area is that??
And also, is it impossible to be comfortable in formal dress???
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Personally I am not as comfortable in a suit on vacation than wearing shorts and t-shirts. Maybe I was mistaken but I thought it was only a rule to were formal wear to the restaurants. If this is the case, then is there any part of the boat that you don't have to wear formal clothes? I think it is absolutely ridiculous to complain about people wanting to wear what they want on vacation. I also feel that the comment complaining about people wearing t-shirts is crazy, this is a boat. I guess I am lucky my next cruise is in the southern carribbean, atleast I can wear a bathing suit on the boat.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Admiral

I agree that I too feel comfortable dressed casual, especially oudoors and in areas
like the Southern Caribbean. However the cruise described was on the North Atlantic
and most probably not the best for wearing a bathing suit. There are no "rules" as to
Formal wear. It says in the daily Compass: "Suggested attire for tonight´s dining is Formal" (or Smart Casual or Casual). Casual dining is always available in Windjammer (or Seaview Café, if open). Also, shorts and sleeveless shirts are never permitted in the Dining Room during dinner and dress suggestion for the speciality restaurants for dinner is Smart Casual. These guide-lines are for RCI, so please check if other cruise lines will allow you to wear what you want on vacation.
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Captain

We were also on this cruise. It was our second transatlantic crossing (Brilliance in 2002), and this voyage was as good as the first.

Sharon: did you know that several pieces of luggage were dropped overboard while unloading baggage in Boston? Two of our fellow passengers saw it sink, and I think the bags were recovered. Also, the report we heard was that four crew members were taken off in Portland, Maine, suspected of homicide in the death of the crew member. Whatever the situation actually was, it's sad for the family.

The Jewel is as beautiful as her sister ships - this is our favorite class of ships from Royal Caribbean. If anyone is thinking about a voyage on this ship, by all means, do it. Just ignore the few jerks you will run into. I've always thought there should be a special cruise for this sort of person. It wouldn't actually go anywhere (maybe a couple of miles offshore), then drop anchor, and have activities such as:

Contest to see who can save the most seats in the theatre.
Race to put towels, books, etc. on lounge chairs by the pool.
Most complaints within 5 minute time frame.
(Insert your favorite pet peeve here).

The winner gets a free "sit on the stairs and block all stairways" cruise.

Old September 17th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Sharon Coray

I did hear about the luggage, and if it is true about the 4 men taken off the ship becasue of homicide then I am just sick! I would like to hear the truth about this, it could just be a rumor. You have made me laugh....I love your idea, especially about the seat saving....I was on a cruise once where the pool side lounges had signs located near seating that said you could not save your seat if you got into the pool and stayed for a long time. Well we wanted to sit down and there was no seats, they all had books and towels on them. So I just picked up the book and towel on one of them and sat down I was there a good hour, then a heavy lady came out of the water and told me something in German and pointed to her book and towel. I pointed to the sign and she yelled at me and just sat down on the lounge and started pushing me off!! Can you imagine???Have you ever noticed that when they announce in the theatre that you cannot save seats no one listens! I am disgusted with the way Americans dress, the casual attire is fine at times when you are near the pool and in the areas that are not meant for a more dressy attire, but when I see someone go to the party for the returning guests which was by invitation and stated on the invitation that it was "Formal" showing up in shorts and sandles with no socks it just sort of ruins it for the rest of us who have taken time and pride in how we look.
Sharon Coray
p.s. I have post a few pics.
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Paulxytz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeagoingJLW
You are so right about the behavior of fellow passengers. I was on the Jewel of the Seas goin gto Scandinavia and St. Petersburg from 5/28/-4 to 6/09/04. There was pushing, jostling, and just plain bad manners throughout the ship.

Passengers were walking everywhere in torn shorts, t shirts and flip flops. I'll have you know it was not warm.

What I resented the most was on formal nights, when we all dressed up, there were passengers in shorts, etc. all over the ship (granted, not in the dining room.) I felt that was totally inappropriate nevertheless. Why must my fellow Americans (especially the younger ones) be so darn informal and downright sloppy?

Joan
I´ve been on the same sailing like Joan and her husband Irvin (Jewel of the Seas - Northern Europe 5/28/04) and I´m not really surprised to read her comment here. I have to say I didn´t recognized these pushing, jostling and just plain bad behaviours throughout the ship, although I have to say there have been very few people that can be entitled to this behavoiur. Two of them I had the "pleasure" to get to know. Their names have been Joan and Irvin. Pushing the people on excursions to get the first in line, on and off the bus to get the first row, ...... You know those kind of people. Women always screaming for their husbands to come. Offending the tour guides with rude behaviour.
Well told us she had been a teacher in NY. I was sorry for the children.

BTW Joan after the cruise you complained a lot and said never again RCCL.
Why have you booked another crusie on the Jewel?
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Just got off the Jewel Of the Seas

What is clear is that different passengers have different expectations and intentions regarding the objectives of their cruise. What this issue often boils down to is whether anything makes one person's expectations and intentions more worthy than someone else's. I've rarely seen a condemnation posted that didn't seem just like one person trying to say that what they wanted was more important than what someone else wanted.

With regard to the "formal night," there is an inherent conflict. The words of the guidelines are such that it can readily be interpreted as applying to the night rather than to just the dining room. However, rational logic dictates that you don't wear a tux to go swimming. So there is a line between where formal attire is expected and where it is not. The guidelines therefore require application of personal judgement, and I do not believe anyone can defend imposition of their own personal judgement regarding this conflict on to anyone else. We'll draw the line in one place (Reflections, Chops, Portofino = formal dress; Windjammer, pool area, spa = casual dress; other public areas = whichever you wish) -- someone else may draw the line differently. Neither of us are wrong.

Roland brings up the question, "And also, is it impossible to be comfortable in formal dress???" This is a Straw Man fallacy, and doesn't serve to shed any light on the issue. Sandman's point was that people want to wear what they feel is comfortable, not what someone else wants them to feel as comfortable. It isn't for anyone to tell someone else that they should or shouldn't feel comfortable wearing a specific type of clothing. I think many folks overlook that comfort is not just a matter of fit and texture and other tactile aspects, but also a matter of how the wearer feels about the clothing. I remember a time in my life when I was uncomfortable in short-sleeves and shorts -- even in the heat of the summer. Comfort is both physical and emotional.