Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default how private is private?

I am thinking about booking a West. Carib. on the Navigator for next year and wondering if a balcony is worth the extra $300 or so. ($300 that I could spend on shore excursions if I book just an oceanview stateroom. )

How private is private? Is that the- "I have a glass wall between me and strangers" kind of private? Or is it "I can lie naked on my balcony and no one would be the wiser" private?

And is it true that the aft balcony cabins are the same price as all Deluxe Balcony cabins?

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Dave P

Default Re: how private is private?

Hello...We have been on the Navigator twice. Once in a suite and once in a Delux balcony. Sorry to say that I cannot help you about the price of the Delux balcony roon versus an aft balcony.

However, your question about how private is private is this. As far as I know, there is nothing that is totally private. Usually in a delux room with balcony, both sides have a partition and a roof above. So basically, it's private from side to side and above. However, anyone can lean over from their cabin on either side of you and almost climb onto your balcony. So, the people on either side of you can see everything. All they have to do is stand at the edge of their balcony and lean over into yours.

We are going on the Adventure in October, and for the first time will be staying in an Owners Suite. We have been told that this suite is about as private as it gets, whatever than means.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure someone else will respond ahd help you with your concern about the price of the cabin.

Regards,

Dave
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:18 PM
hcat

Aft balconies are usally spaced like terraces so anyone on the aft back deck can look down--some may have canopies--not familiar with this class ship! But a balcony is definitely worth it--many other uses than lying naked out there! You can read, have a glass of wine, mediatate, watch the stars, the sea, watch for dolphins/whales etc...so nice anytime of the day--can't cruise without one...
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
browezilla

I'm generally of the opposite opinion in that I prefer to get an interior cabin and save the money. Ocean view and balconies to me don't offer much value add because I spend so little time in the room. However, I believe I'm in the minority here. Most folks prefer ocean view (for the natural sunlight during the day) or a balcony. Several of my traveling companions will only cruise with a balcony (but the cost is of little consequence to them). It really comes down to personal tastes. If you are going to spend a lot of time in your room, I would splurge and go with the balcony. If you are going to use it as just a place to sleep and change change clothes, then I'd go with the cheaper room. I fall in the latter camp.
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Passenger

We had a suite on the aft of the ship and it was wonderful--never windy so our clothes wouldn't blow away! I would never go back to an ocean view as was our first cruise it always will be a balcony--if you have more than a few people with you it is also another private space and you can listen to the sound of the ocean anytime you want! The way I look at it, if you were in a hotel, would you ever choose a room with no windows? Not going to happen. We have a family so we need the extra space a balcony provides--not spending any time in the room doesn't happen in our family. Younger children always need their down time as do adults for a quick nap etc. I couldn't even consider having an inside cabin.
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Captain

We love our balcony cabins...ever since we booked our first one
years ago...we can't go back to oceanview. We don't spend alot
of time in our cabin, but it is great to get fresh air, hear the sea,
have a quiet drink, read a book, look at scenery while in port
or days at sea...saw a terrific double ranbow off the coast of
Curacao, that we probably would have missed had we not had
a balcony cabin...I for one, don't think you have to spend alot of
time in your cabin to justify the cost.

Is it private,,,not absolutely, but another thing you'll find is that
many folks that have balcony cabins, don't use them, so chances
are yours will be somewhat private.
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:33 PM
L Diana

we were on the voyager this summer with a balcony...the side partitions were opague glass. there were some with solid steel on both sides but just a few...kind of in the middle of the ship. Regarding privacy, there was a newlywed game one night and the oldest couple described making whoopie on the carnival balcony last year because it was very private and did not this year on the voyager because her son and daughter in law got caught with the opaque glass sides....so it depends what you're doing on the balcony.

We use our balcony to dry our bathing suits, store kids gear, and send them outside while we were taking turns in the shower.
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Yeoman

We love the balcony! Its great when our son wants to take a nap. We can close the curtains and sit on the balcony. We can chat, read, watch, etc. Its also fun in port as we can watch the docking and departing procedures, see the people who are late scurry to the ship, and if on the right side, see the port itself. Last time in Cozumel we watched as a storm moved across the island, and a rainbow form. At night we would leave the door open for fresh sea air, unless it got too hot (and we stopped doing this when our son wasnt sleeping in a crib for fear hed walk out there and us not know it). The sea air knocks us all out quickly some days! As for privacy-the glass is frosted, but you can still see shadows if the lighting is right. You could climb from one balcony to another, but Im not going to try it! Also, we had college kids next door, and the one girl would come out to her balcony and yack on her cell phone for an hour when in port. That was annoying and I really didnt need to hear what all she was saying! So for us, the balcony cabin is well worth the extra $$ and it provides extra room. When you have a 2+ yr old, extra room is a big +!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Emm

I love balcony cabins, but i have a $$ limit before I'll upgrade to one -- . I figure how much per day its going to be extra to have an OV, or balcony -- and how much i'd use it. Having even a window is an extra -- its not like you cant have a view from anywhere else on the ship -- if the window or balcony means you wont take a shore excursion, then its not worth it imo. Sometimes you can get the balcony for not much more than the inside, sometimes its a huge price increase. I like value with my vacation $$, guess i'd rather take 2 cruises for the price of one -- some people prefer the highest class on one trip , it just depends on what floats your boat .

Oh, one other thing i've learned -- If you get a balcony, get late dining -- leaving port is a great time to be on your balcony -- and if youre in the shower or in the dining room when the ship is leaving, you're missing out on the best part of the balcony.
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Garf

I had an oceanview on my first cruise but a balcony gave a whole new dimension to cruising.Some people are only in their cabin to shower and sleep thus an insider is all that's required. If you enjoy late night cocktails under the stars or early, early morning coffee like I do, naked on the balcony, it's the only way to go. I didn't mind paying the extra $. I'll never get anything but a balcony again.
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:14 PM
buchie614

For Hubby and I, balcony is the only way to travel. If someone "peeps" into my balcony, they might see something they don't really want to see. I never spy into anyone's balcony, and hope they don't spy into ours.
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Scott100

To answer your question about how private is private, somewhere in between.
If someone really wants to see onto your balcany, they probably can, but would have to lean way over the railing to do it.
Other than that, feel free to dis-robe on your balcany (but make sure you send me plenty of pictures).

-Scott