Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:29 PM
SeaBreeze

Default Safe remedies for sea sickness

I am going on my first cruise in January on the Adventure of the Seas. I'm not sure if I will be sea sick or not, and surely don't want to take any chances. Is there anything I can take and still be able to enjoy a few cocktails? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:49 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Safe remedies for sea sickness

Many of the remedies are very good. Patches behind the ear, Bonine, and pressure wrist bracelets. I've never had to use any, but I have several friends that have used Bonine and the patches and find they are effective
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:50 PM
ConcreteDreams

My mom always gets a shot for seasickness when she gets on the ship. it works very well for her.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:59 AM
Yeoman

You shouldnt feel much if any movement , unless its stormy and rough. Thats when everyone heads to the medical office! If youre going to be drinking I would stay away from pills. Some make you drowsy as it is. Id try the wrist bands first. If you feel queasy, get into open air and look at the horizon. A bathroom or confined space is the worst place you can be. Ill tell you when I do feel it though-its after the cruise for a few days. I get back on land and feel like Im still on the ship. Laying in bed it really hits me, but I dont get sick.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Passenger

Wow, I thought I was the only one that happened to....getting sick AFTER the cruise...I had huge issues just walking on land after the fact, but it still wouldn't stop me from going again.

Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:49 AM
Happy Camper

If taking Bonine - which works great - be very careful with the alcohol! I twill amke you feel drunk after only one drink - probably not good to mix it.

Candied Ginger is really good to eat - I got it from "Penzeys" spices here in Houston. They have a website where you can order - but you may be able to find it at a local grocery store with the spices. I think it is also called crystalized ginger.

Debbie
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM
Jennie V

A comment on the ear patches... they cause terrible cottonmouth!!!!!!!! Try cutting them in half or use bonine instead.
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always take Bonine, it dosen't make me drowsy or stupid. Be sure to start taking it 24 hours before you sail, and one or two days after. I don't drink alcohol but it might give you a cheap drunk :<)
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Dave P

Hello...I get sea sick just being in the back seat of a car, or even in a small bus that bounces around a lot. When I took my first cruise several years ago, I was terribly ill and they gave me medicine on ship.

After that, I told my doctor about it, and he suggested I use the pressure point wrist bands because they are very effective and you don't have to take any medication. I don't know if they work for everyone, but I have to tell you that I bought those wrist bands, and have never had a problem since. I wear them all the time, except when the ship is in port. No sickness, no strange feelings at all. I have suggested the wrist bands to several people and they have all told me that their seas sickness problems have ended.

If you're worried about taking any type of medications, you might to at least try the wrist bands first. You have nothing to lose and they only cost about $8.00.

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your cruise. We're on the Adventure Of The Seas on October 17th.

Dave
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:14 PM
SeaBreeze

Default Re: Re: Safe remedies for sea sickness

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. Since I am on vacation, and going with friends, I know that we will end up in one of the clubs during one point or another of this cruise and I know that drinks will be a part of that night. I just want to take something that will be safe with alcohol. The wrist bands and ginger sound like the safest bet yet. Anyone else have any other feedback in regards to these? Again, thanks for your great comments.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Safe remedies for sea sickness

I've always used bonine..I take it at night just before bed. Never a problem

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old September 22nd, 2004, 07:24 AM
SeaBreeze

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe remedies for sea sickness

Alot of responses are saying that they take Bonine. Doesn't it say on the package not to take when consuming any type of alcohol? Just curious, because I'm looking for something that will be safe with alcohol. How effective is the ginger, and the wrist bands?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

My BIL got the seabands for his Alaskan cruise in July. He was convinced he would get seasick (as he already has inner ear problems). He didn't. The seabands worked great!

Our Wal-Mart ordered them for us for $7 something a pair--they don't keep them in stock, but they will order them and receive them the following day, so just call the pharmacy a day ahead and they'll have them for you.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:05 PM
SeaBreeze

Default Re: Re: Safe remedies for sea sickness

Thanks Ruth. Did he need a prescription since he ordered them through the pharmacy?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Yeoman

Regarding the wrist bands- I used an electronic version (much more $$ and you can adjust the strength) when I was pregnant and it helped with the all-day-sickness. Same concept though-applies pressure to certain points on your wrist. Some people say it doesnt work, others swear by it. Also, re ginger-they say that also helps with morning sickness (ie giner ale).

Auggiemom-as soon as the cruise is over (funny it doesnt seem to bother me in port as much as it does later) is when I feel it. In the car, standing, lying down (thats the worst) I feel the motion of the ocean! Takes a few days to completely disappear too. The only time on board that I feel any motion is if its rough out, and maybe the first night in bed. It doesnt bother me though (I grew up swimming and boating) and it actually helps me to fall asleep. Weird!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal