Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Sis

Default Getting Nervous

With all the hurriances and all this reading on here about people flying out the day before and doing a pre cruise thing, I'm beginning to get nervous and was wondering if I should do the same. I have my air booked for the day of the cruise....leaving from New Jersey going to Miami on a 8:00 am flight....arriving in Miami 11:50 Ship sails at 5:00. Should I be concerned......I had read how some people missed their ship. Can you change your air time a day before and is there a charge for it.....also, where in Miami is a nice resonable clean decent place to stay? Or should I just leave things as they are? Help....
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
venice

Default Re: Getting Nervous

rule of thumb, go in the day before and find a cheap hotel room close the pier.. the peace of mind is well worth it and if something goes wrong you have a day to recover..plus it's nice to wake up cruise morning, stress fress and begin your vacation..the waters look calm for now so hopefully no hurricanes
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Yeoman

I'm in the same boat with you, pardon-the-pun. I've got an 8am flight from Boston to Miami on the day of my cruise, also leaving at 5PM (I couldn't leave the day before due to work obligations). I'm hoping that I don't regret having made these arrangements.

I can't change my airline arrangements even if work allowed. The applicable fare rules say "no changes," not even with a penalty. I'd basically have to discard the tickets and buy new ones (which isn't out of the range of possibility, given that the tickets are on US Airways, and they may not exist anymore by then regardless).

For a January trip, the applicable fare rules say "50% penalty" which basically means that in order to make a change, I lose 50% of the value of the tickets immediately, and then have to make up the difference between the remaining value of the old fare and the full cost of the new fare.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Sis,
I'm doing the same thing in Jan, only leaving Chicago at 7AM and get into Ft. Lauderdale before 11:00, so I think we should be OK as long as weather is [b]not[b] a problem, keeping my fingers crossed.

I would suggest purchasing some travel insurance, its really not that expensive and sure beats having something happen and you'd be out some $.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
CruzCrazy

Sis and Donna,

If you are cruising in the next two weeks, there are no hurricanes brewing out there. In today's Miami Herald the hurricane bureau said that it looks like things will be calmer for October.

As a matter of fact I'm doing the opposite....I'm leaving Miami on Friday to head up NYC for my Canada/New England cruise and I'm not worried about getting out of Miami.

I'm ready for some cooler weather, it's been pretty hot down here. Still in the upper 80's and lower 90's. I need some sweater weather for a few weeks.

In December and January though I'm heading to the Caribbean. Just love those palm-tree turquoise waters of the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Sis

Default Re: Re: Getting Nervous

Cruzcrazy.....

I won't be sailing until the 30th this month October......so I am still worried about how the weather will be by then.......don't know if you can tell this far in advance. I didn't get concerned until I read a post on here that someone's ship left like 3 hours earlier then scheduled. This is what did me in. Now my mind is worrying about everything....what if the plane is delayed......I really wished that I booked the air a day a head of time now.....but it is too late for that. Don't think my Travel Agent knows what they are doing and I am just worried my self for nothing.......I hope. They also tell you to call your airline 24 hours ahead of time to confirm....what if they changed the flight to a later one....omg...

Last time I took a cruise was 20 years ago out of NY being from NJ never ever had to worry about air. Name of cruise was the Oceanic....anyone remember this on. Plus I hate flying....stupid me didn't realize that the Voyager didn't sail out of NY at this time.

One nervous traveler....
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
bmr

get drunk before flying and wake up in Miami
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
bmr

opps ft. lauderdale
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Excited in PA

I'm arriving in Miami on Dec 11 at 3:00 pm and we sail on the vovager at 5:00pm. I called RCCL and they said don't worry about it. Although, their shuttles stop running at 3:00pm, they said take a taxi and I should be there by 3:30. Should I be nervous? What if I wait for half and hour for my luggage?
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Getting Nervous

I know I'd be nervous, but that's just me.

Old October 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Does anyone know how the weather "usually" is around Dec. 12th. (i heard that the hurricane season is over around that time?). We are going to the Western Carribbean then what should I pack is it warm?? Should I be concerned about delay's?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is our first cruise.
Thank you for your time!