Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
sueryan

Default Single-not romance-cruise?

I want to take a singles cruise...but they all seem to be geared to meeting that special someone. I just want to go on a cruise, not find love. The prices are way too high alone, so I need a roommate. But it seems all the singles cruises assume romance is the goal. I'm 57, need a break from all the family, work and stress, so just want to take a cruise. Can someone suggest a ship or line that would work for me?
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Single-not romance-cruise?

If you don't mind an inside room, voyager class ships on RCL are fairly inexpensive. Generally, there are some great deals the week before major holidays like Christmas.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

My first solo cruise was a 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Dawn Princess in 2002. I had an inside room and it cost 150% of one person's share of a double price. I thought it was very reasonable and enjoyed having my own cabin. There was Anytime Seating in the dining room but I went to the buffet often. I ate in the dining room for breakfast by myself and enjoyed the experience. I had a nice vacation with Princess and would sail them again.

My second solo cruise was with Norwegian on the Sun in 2003 to the Western Caribbean and it was also quite nice. I sailed 7 days with them with an outside window cabin. That was nice but I paid 200% and I'm not sure it was worth it as a single. Same dining experience-I just did my own thing. NIce cruise and ports and I enjoyed it a lot.

In my opinion, Princess was a tad better but they were both enjoyable and the ships were great.

In 1997 I took a marvelous Cruise-Tour to Alaska on Cruise West. That was spectacular and I was only on a small ship for 3 days. We slept on land. That kept my singles cost share down. It was very casual with wonderful people and it was probably my favorite trip so far.

They were all great experiences and not a romance in sight for me. I am a 44 year old woman now and I'm looking forward to a solo cruise full transit through the Panama Canal end of January. I've booked inside cabin on RCCL. I like the ship and itinerary.

You should definitely sail solo if you want to. I just do my own thing and never even go to the singles mixers. If you are more social than I am, there are certainly opportunities for that but it's not a requirement to enjoying a cruise! I go on the excursions that I want to or just hang out in a sun chair or bum around shopping by myself in the ports. Very enjoyable.

Kris
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

sueryan - check your email.

Old August 17th, 2005, 12:48 AM
JCR

Hi. I think that this is an older posting, so I'm not sure if you're still looking for a cruise roommate, but just in case... I'm looking at some of the Alaska cruises on the Serenade of the Seas in August/September. Chances are that I wouldn't be in the room at all, but looking for somebody to share the "double occupancy" charge. Best wishes, Julie
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Admiral

Just wanted to say even though the singles cruises are marketing themselves for those in search of a romance there is no obligation, it's a good way to get a roomate and make friends. I did one with Cruising for Love and my cabin mate was a married gal who booked with the agency for the price, she had a group of women traveling on a bachlorette party at sea they did their own thing a lot but they were all very nice, they didn' t book to hook up with someone. I myself was not interested in any of the guys from our group and put the word out, no one harassed me, the guys were friendly but respectful. I ended up making a whole lot of new friends and that was truely the best thing about my cruise. We are keeping in touch via e mail and I hope to travel with some of them again in the future. Single can mean single traveler, it can mean married but your husband doesn't like to cruise, it can mean a person is happy and in a relationship but needs a cabin mate, so keep an open mind and give it a shot, this way you will have a whole group to pick and choose who you want to hang out with and you won't be alone and lonely at sea. Just my thoughts