Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:20 AM
nlr0108

Default Luggage

A friend of mine said that instead of putting their luggage out in the hall the night before departure they just rolled it off with them. Each one of them and their kids had a large roll bag so they didn't have to "look" for it in the mass drop off. Is this possible? What is your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Luggage

Anything's possible. I would say it depends on how much stuff you have to schlep. It's very congested at disembarkation, and you will have to manuver whatever luggage you have through crowds. I would say that if it is no more than 2 bags wheeling per person it is doable.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Dan P

You have to remember that when the bags are taken off the ship they are checked by customs and the dogs.If you carry yours off not only will you be holding up people from getting off,you may have to go through custom and they may check all the bags and cause you to be later getting out of the pier.Just to bust your chops they may have you open all your bags.So I would think about that.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM
nlr0108

Default Re: Re: Luggage

That is true. I didn't think of that. I was just trying to figure out a way to avoid the mass luggage area. Thanks.
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Yeoman

We can pretty-much rely on the fact that if there ever was a good idea to get around a delay, everyone else would quickly follow-suit, thereby creating a delay in the alternative!

My philosophy is to attack the hassle from a different direction: internally instead of externally. That's something I can completely control, in terms of setting my own expectations for what I'll experience. If I understand the situation (thousands of people leaving the cruise ship at once, all with their own needs to get on with their journey onward or home, but with only limited space and resources to facilitate the debarkation) and the ramifications (staged debarkation, some crowding and delays for luggage retrieval, etc.) then when I encounter that I'll not experience much stress or dissatisfaction in that regard.

Old October 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Yeoman

Where are you sailing from? If Miami-getting your bags is just like at the airport. They come out on a carousels. Each color tag has its own carousel location. If you take your own off the ship, you will also be dealing with escalators and crowds. No fun trying to manuver bags through it. Now if youre sailing from Ft Lauderdale and its still the same set up (I will never sail from there again-the airport was not equipped to handle cruise crowds) then they pile up the luggage in warehouse, tell you about where your stuff would be and then you go hunting. You might want to dress up your luggage with something bright to make it stand out. One of my bags was buried under others and I thought it was gone. A real pain.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM
hcat

Re Miami luggage procedures. PLs clarify . If we are taking ship's transfer to Fll airport from Miami pier, do we pick up our own luggage at cruiseport & then take it to the bus & then get it as we get off? I want to be able to track it every step along the way--do not want to get to FLL not knowing if luggage made it....-