Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
SeaGhost

Default Tuxedo Rental

I was wondering how to go about renting a tuxedo for the formal nights? I didnt see any info for renting one on the RC website, is there a 3rd party vendor who delivers them to your stateroom? I havent worn a tux since high school so Im also not sure what measurements I would need, should I go to a local tux shop to check? I would go with a nice suit but I think my girlfriend would be happy if I wore the tux. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM
hostess

Default Re: Tuxedo Rental

I my husband has rented them thru ship twice. There is a special company call rccl and get name and #. Then go to local tux shop get measured, then call or order it online, they will have it waiting for you in your cabin when you get on ship. You then wear it twice and last day cabin attendant picks it up. It has worked out great for us. It is fun to get really dressed up and have pics taken. Happy cruising.
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Tina B

The ship has tuxedo rental on board rc. However, they suggested you order ahead through www.cruislineformal.com or call 800-551-5091. Make sure to give yourself enough time they close the bookings about a week before the cruise.

Have a great time.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:38 AM
SeaGhost

Thanks for the info, Im surprised there isnt a direct link from the Rc website and more details on renting them. Hopefully they are decent quality tuxes, I really wouldnt want to have to buy one or pack my suit instead.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tuxedo Rental

Details on tux rental are on the RCCL website, hidden under Weddings. They also provide details on tux rentals with your cruise documents. On the Enchantment this year they were hawking tux rentals as late as the early afternoon of formal night.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Doris Miller

We always rent my husband's tux through cruiseline formalwear. They are quality tuxedos and sure saves on the packing and ironing. It is so nice to get to your stateroom and find your tux hanging in the closet ready for that formal night!
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
SeaGhost

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Kellye

Hi,

What is the cost of renting the tux for the 2 formal nights?

Thanks,
Kellye

Rhapsody of the Seas 2/13/2005 - First Cruise!
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
SeaGhost

I checked the website TinaB suggested and it was listed at $85 for the length of the cruise plus $12 for shoes (Im bringing my own) and they also have a combo deal for white and black jackets.
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Sherry in KY

Just returned today from a cruise MOS, and on formal night, I did not see anyone wearing a tux, only suits and most were in shirts and ties while I seen A LOT in just shirts. I even seen some wearing kahki pants and golf shirts. The women wore mostly sundress and clothes that I consider church clothes even pants suits. The women did seem to dress a bit nicer than the men, but this is usually the case anywhere.
I think the tux is just another way for RCI to make another $$.....
THere is a table in the lobby on Deck 4 with a guy sitting there taking orders for tux but I did not see anyone even stop by the table.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:36 AM
SeaGhost

Hope you enjoyed your trip Sherry. So I guess I would look out of place in a tux? Does anyone who sailed on the Serenade agree? Im 24, are there any other younger people wearing them ?
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Captain

I bought a tuxedo just before our last cruise. I had always worn a suit on formal nights on previous cruises.

When I got dressed for our first formal night, I actually felt better wearing the tux. We had our picture taken before dinner, and for the first time, we actually bought one of the overpriced photographs. This time we actually smiled, had our eyes open, and didn't look like we needed to go to a hospital for treatment.

Was this because of my tuxedo? Not likely, but from now on I'm leaving my suit at home and taking my tux for formal nights.

SeaGhost: by all means, take (or rent) a tuxedo. I don't think you will feel out of place.

Old October 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM
SeaGhost

I will, thanks for your input.
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Passenger

I believe cruiselineformals.com is a privately owned company, not affiltiated with RCI.
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
BoozeBabe

My husband decided to wear a tux a couple years ago. Just for the heck of it I looked into buying one. I found an Oleg Cassini tux at Value City for $99. YES $99. He has now worn it on two cruises so it has more than paid for itself. If you have a Value City Department store near you check them out. My friends husband cruising with us this past cruise just bought his there this summer so they still have them at that price. What a bargain.

Tuxes are less prevelent than they were in the past but many still wear them. It is not necessary though. But I think there is nothing more handsome than a man in a tuxedo. Our last cruise was 2 weeks ago and there were more "older" cruisers on board and we saw more tuxes this time than ever before.
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:11 AM
SeaGhost

BoozeBabe,
There arent any Value Citys in my area but thanks for the info, Ill have to check Marshalls or something comparable but Ill probably wind up renting. It sounds like the number of people wearing tuxedos differs from cruiselines and even ships. I was getting such different answers from people I asked that I decided to post my question on here and Im glad I did.
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I saw many men wearing tuxedos during my cruise on Voyager. I too rented through CruiseLine Formals. I didn't feel out-of-place at all! And, I also purchased way too many of those overpriced portrait photos :-)

Jeff
2004 - Voyager Of The Seas (Eastern Caribbean)

Post Edited (10-27-04 15:35)
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:08 AM
jaysay123

my wife and I are going on are our first cruise this December and to tell you the truth I'm looking forward weaing a tuex, by he way how much are these so called over priced portrait they of of you.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

Hey go for it. If this is a onece in a lifetime deal rent one. You feel like a million bucks all gussied up and no you will not look out of place...you look like the owner!
Have fun and strut your stuff...hey you might get lucky too

Old October 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Captain

Regarding the price of the portraits...... On our Jewel cruise last month we purchased an 8X10 portrait, and it was $19.95. I had a "buy one get one free" coupon from my Platinum book, so I actually paid $10 each.

Old October 26th, 2004, 01:03 AM
BoozeBabe

Photos are $19.95 for an 8x10 and $9.95 for a 6x8. Go ahead and have them taken every chance you get. Usually one of them is good enough to purchase. My kids know they are each getting one of those photos in our will. Don't you think they just love that!!!!
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

One more thing regarding those "over-priced" portrait photos:

They have a special with the 6x8 prints where you get a portrait and a "postcard" with your portrait in the center, a border with pictures of your ship, and, your ports of call at the bottom. Another variation of the same "postcard" photo shows the dates of your cruise. The package goes for $16.95. We purchased two of those packages. They look great!

Jeff
2004 - Voyager Of The Seas (Eastern Caribbean)

Post Edited (10-27-04 15:34)