Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
margaret read

Default christmas

Has anyone spent christmas onboard ship. We have cruised several times including one new year but this is the first time at christmas.
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: christmas

Before I got married my family did a few Christmas cruises, including a Panama Canal trip (Christmas and New Year trip), but now since we have a 2 yr old we go over New Years so he can have Christmas at home. Im trying to remember what all they did......the ship was decorated and we did ports on the 24th. Chrismas was a sea day since shops in ports were closed. Dinner was a little more festive than usual and I think the show was Christmas themed (might be wrong on this one since that might be a touchy subject with different religions of the cruisers). Santa did find his way to our cabin too thanks to some decorations we put up and the stockings we brought from home (we opend up the big stuff back home before our trip). It wasnt the same as being home, but I was college aged so it wasnt a huge deal. Looks like this year we will be doing Christmas a day earlier since we have to be in Port Canaveral on the 26th and were driving (some of which will be done on Christmas). I will know, but hopefully my son wont mind!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:40 AM
margaret read

Default Re: Re: christmas

Hope you have a good trip. We have been on a new years trip before and it was great.My eldest daughter is having christmas at home with the children and my youngest is going on a ski holiday this year. So rather than spend christmas at home on our own we decided on this trip. We have been on several cruises but the Majesty was the first ship we went on quite a few years ago. We realise this is now one of the older ships of the fleet but hopefully the service will be the same. We went on the Grandeur of the Seas at new year.
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
bpm

We spent Christmas of 2002 on Navigator..Had a great time..Was kind of strange being away for the holiday but we adjusted.. I dont think I would do it again because it is a time of year when we already have plenty of things to do. It was also more expensive compared to early December /January cruises..Try it..Im sure you will enjoy.. Good luck..

bpm
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM
rkamen

I have done Christmas cruises in the past and would never do another. We did them out of necessity because of the kids school schedule. They are grown now.

Christmas on board is hectic and there are tons of kids on the ship. Far too many to really enjoy all of the ammenities that the ship offers. There are also a lot of passengers that take only 1 "big" vacation with their family and expect the staff to wait on them hand-and-mouth. Not your typical experienced cruiser.

Also, Christmas is always a premium as far as pricing goes. We typically now cruise the week or two before Christmas and the cost (with discounts which you do not get during the holidays) is usually 1/2 what people pay during Christmas.

I find no benefit whatsoever to cruising over that holiday. I would not cruise over Christmas even if it was greatly discounted - which it never is. Too expensive, far too many kids, too crowded in general. If you are a school teacher, or have school age kids that you are taking, obviously, your timing is limited and I certainly recognize that fact.

Just my own personal opinion.
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:42 AM
margaret read

Default Re: Re: christmas

What ship did you go on?. I did'nt realise there would be many children as I would have thought people would spend christmas at home with children. We are going on the Majesty and as it is one of the older ships, I have read reviews and people seem to think this ship is mainly older people. Lets hope so as I works with pre-school children and although I love them dearly, Its nice to have a break from the little darlings.
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Yeoman

Since you are on one of the older ships, there probably wont be as many kids as there will be on the Voyager class ships since they have so many activities. Over New Years last time on Navigator, I think they said there were more kids than adults on board!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
rkamen

I might agree with Alison in regards to Majesty attracting less families with kids than a Voyager class ship. We just got off the Sept 24th sailing of the Voyager out of Bayonne. We had well over 200 kids on that trip under the age of 5. Because of the size of the ship and the great job done by the Adventure Ocean day camp - it was never really an issue.

My sister-in-law who is a travel agent was offered a last minute "deal" on a Christmas sailing last year on Royal Caribbean. I think it was a Radiance class ship. Even though she paid travel agent rates (dirt cheap), she said she'd never do another Christmas cruise. The ship was packed to the rafters - kids everywhere - mostly unsupervised and being "kids".

I understand the constraints of your work scheduel - so go with an open mind, chill out, and you'll have a great time.
Bob