Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Sherry in KY

Default CocoCay is OPEN

We just returned today from a 4 night cruise and CocoCay Island is open. Woo hoo!!We stopped there on Wednesday and we were told that it was the SECOND day that it had been open since the Hurricane 5 weeks ago. The beach is pretty, water has about 80% visibility as of now, about 10% of the small island is still closed and under reconstuction (as we were told by a RCI employee on the island). We were also told by the kyak tour guide that there use to be a big aquatic park on the island but it was all destroyed by the hurricanes. Most of the huts appeared to be new or partially new. Most of the Palm trees are missing the majority of their branches and you could see the marks on the tree trunks that appear to be from a chain or strap used to hoist the tree back to a standing position. There is Abosolutely no shade left on the island from trees. My mother in law had to sit under a very crowded canopy to avoid the sun. The Coco loco drinks are good and so was the BIG huge BBQ lunch (burgers, BBQ ribs, Chicken, hot dogs and all the fixin's!) The food was good if you could get past the watermelon carvings that were literally covered in swarming flys.

We did the snorkeling & the Kyak excursion as well as rented a beach mat. The best part of the Kyak trip is picking up the live animals at sea. You are tguided in your Kayak in 4 ft deep water on about a one mile path up the beach and at one point you are told to get out of the kyak and you can pick up, Sea Cucumbers, star fish, Conch and other sea life. It was incredible.

The beach has a lot of small rocks (hard to walk on barefooted in some spots and I walk barefoot a lot) and you could see a lot of bare sandless spots where they still need to bring in more sand. We seen the chickens and large lizards in many places and 100's of flys. Feel free to email me personally if you want any more info about CocoCay Island after the Hurricane repairs.
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: CocoCay is OPEN

Thanks for the update.

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Thanks for th info. I have been there 4 times and is one of my favorite stops next to Labadee. I think I will take the kids on the Sovereign of the Seas again in the spring.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 16th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Sherry,
A lot of people have been asking about Coco Cay, glad its finally open.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Sherry in KY

I took some photo's of Coco Cay and the visible hurricane damage if anyone is interested email me and I will send them to you.