CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Notarized Letter - Tevelling Canada to US (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/236249-notarized-letter-tevelling-canada-us.html)

The Hills October 17th, 2004 10:51 PM

Notarized Letter - Tevelling Canada to US

I will be travelling with my 6 year old daughter on a cruise in January and have heard that I may be asked at the US Immigration for a notarized letter from my husband stating he is OK with me taking our one child into the US. My husband and son won't be going on the trip with us. We are not seperated or divorced! Has any Canadian parent who was going on a cruise out of Miami with one of thier children had any issues at the US Immigration?

I have heard of individuals who were seperated or divorced but don't know if the rules have changed. My daughter will have her own passport.

We will be flying Ottawa to Montreal to Miami.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada

Radiance of the Seas - January 30th 2005!

Lisa October 18th, 2004 12:34 AM

Re: Notarized Letter - Tevelling Canada to US

Double check with the cruise line, but I think you do need to have a notarized letter from the parent who is not going giving you permission to take your child out of the country. If your cruise stops in Mexico you will definitely need it. It doesn't matter if you are happily married or divorced, you will need permision. No one may ever ask to see the letter, but if they do and you don't have it, you will be denied boarding and you will not get a refund of your fare. Even airlines may require it now.

SS October 18th, 2004 09:18 AM

I am from Canada as well, and know that you definitely, 100%, need this letter to travel with your child.
Having this letter will save you from A LOT of hassle from US Immigration. It will take 5 minutes to get a Notary to sign it; but it could save you a lot of wasted time and frustration!

Lisa Jay October 18th, 2004 08:24 PM

Hi

My sister flew to Florida from Toronto with a letter written by her husband saying she could take the baby.
All phone numbers were on the letter.
It was not notarized-She was so sure they would not let her on the plane. They gave her a very hard time.
It was touch and go but they did let her fly-She said she would never fly without a notarized letter again.
I take my older nieces to florida each year with a letter that is not notarized but because they are old enough to say that they know me and want to go there is never a problem.
It is because the baby is too little to speak for herselve.

Lisa October 19th, 2004 12:55 AM

Also - the airlines and cruise lines do not want to be any part of a child abduction.......................they are covering their behinds!!! It is for the children's sake that this is a requirement. I am not saying in any way, shape or form that this is you.....but all of us have to suffer for the actions of the unscrupulous or misguided few.