Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Default Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Lets ry it again. Anyone going to be on that ship with me? Hope to meet you.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:20 PM
JudyJ

Default Re: Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Carol... you won't be alone on this cruise. There will be me & DH from Kansas City, his mother from Indiana and friends we met cruising from Houston. We will be celebrating birthdays as well.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:45 PM
The Hills

Jean, Kathryn, Iva, Tim, Francine, Rosie (8) and Sydney (6) will be sailing with you.

We will be in cabins 7526 & 7528 - Drop by and say hello!

Escaping the Canadian winter and celebrating an 80th birthday!

The Hills

Ottawa., Canada
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:45 PM
JudyJ

Default Re: Re: Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Hi Everybody... it's a very gloomy day here in KC, wish these days would go alittle faster.
We will be in cabins 8525,8526 & 8527. Have you cruised on RCI before? This will be our 8th cruise but 6 on RCI, and 1st on this class ship. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Judy
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Hello everyone from Ohio. Glad everyone is starting to post, lets keep it going. This will be my 7th cruise and the first on RCI. I have always wanted to try it, as I have heard so many great things. I was just on the Caribbean Princess Set. 18 2004 for 9 days thanks to the hurricane. This trip will be to celebrate my 50th birthday. It will be myself and Ron (42). Hope we can all meet to say hello the day we board. We are in cabin 8052. What is everyone planning to do while we are in port? Tonight at 5pm we will be down to DD!!!!! Lets count this down together. Hopefully more will join us. On my last cruise there was about 50 of us that met the day we boarded and then did things together or just said hello throughout the week, it was nice. Have a great day

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
JudyJ

Carol....this is so funny, we were on the 9 day Carbbean Princess cruise on 9-18 also. We had such a good time and probably seen you at some time.

Judy
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
The Hills

Hi Carol & Judy & other Radiance of the Seas travellers:

Looks like we are up to 14 in total that have responded.

This will be my 6th cruise and I have been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas before but it will be the first cruise for my mom and her sister.

If you like snorkelling, St. Maarten has a great underwater snorkelling park on the French side of the island (Marigot). The shopping at the port in Phillisburg where we dock is great. They sell hugh mobiles of colourful hand carved wooden fish that were great gifts for folks at home!

I have been checking out the shore excursions and think the 4X4 Jeep tour in St. Maarten sounds like a great time. In the past we have tried to take a 3-4 hour tour in the morning, come back to the ship for lunch and then shop in the afternoon right at the pier. This tour combines seeing both sides of the island, a stop for a swim, and some back road adventure. It is 6 hours and 30m minutes so shopping at the port will be limited!!! I have previously done a jeep tour in Alaska and had a great time splashing through the mud!

I also like the St. Maarten Natural Wonders Tour as we will have a 6 & 8 year old with us and they would love the monkeys, bats and parrots. It is a 3-4 hour tour so would leave more time for shopping at the pier.

I have heard very good things about the Amercia's Cup Tour in St. Thomas. I have also heard that the St. John tour is a must to see. Maegans Bay is mentioned a number of times on the shore excurisons board. I have been on a jet boat in Niagra Falls, Canada and will never forget the speed and 180 degree turns so if you are looking for some excitement that would be a great tour! You are guaranteed to get wet!

Shopping in St. Thomas is a must. You can enjoy afternoon drinks in the outdoor courtyards between the stores.

Let me know if you hear of any other good ideas or feedback on shore excursions.

It is hard to think about the sunny caribbean when we are tied up tommorrow going ice skating on the Corel Centre Ice (home of the Ottawa Senators NHL team who are on strike) and my 9 year old's first hockey game!

My brother time is looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay in in Ft. Lauderdale so if anyone has any suggestions let me know by posting on this board.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada

Previous Cruises:

Canrival - Jubilee - E. Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Sun Viking - W. Caribbean
Princess - Ocean Princess - Alaska
Princess - Sun Princess - E. Caribbean
Carnival - Carnival Legend - Exoctic Southern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas - Jan 2005!!
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Hi all !!! Yes Judy it is really funny that we were just on the same cruise. I am sure we have past at sometime. It was a great cruise and I sure did not mind staying out 2 extra days. On that one it was my sister and my 19 year old daughter. We sure did have a GREAT time. Ihave never been to the Vi so I am looking forward to going there. I did not mind where we went, but I had just been to Cozumel in Jan., but it still was fun.

Well I hope the hockey game went well. I am sure he had a good time.

As for St. Thomas, we are going to take the tour I was suppose to take in Sept when I wnt. The Godfrey tour. Have you heard of that? I have only heard great things about it. He picks you up at the ship and takes you for 3 hours of shopping, then a tour of the island for 2 hours, then to the beach of your choice and back to the ship by 4:30 for $20. People said it is VERY worth the money. He has a web site if anyone is interested.

St. Maarten I have no clue. We would like to take a tour, don't know to book one or just grab a taxi. Any suggestions? Then we would like to just go to a beach or something with a litle shopping. If anyone hears of anything good let me know.

So, are you flying in Sat or Sun. I know the Hills said you are flying in on Sat. To FL or Miami? I was thinking maybe we should fly in on Sat also, just in case of bad weather or something. I want to be sure to get on the ship. Usually we just fly in the morning of, but since it is winter I am thinking I want to spend the money and go a day early.

Well must go for now. Have a great rest of your weekend.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:41 PM
The Hills

Default Fly In times

Hi Carol & Judy:

Just a note to clarify the Hill's fly in times. 3 of our party are flying to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday and then the remaining 4 of us are flying into Miami on Saturday.

Jeremy 's hockey team won their game 4-3 so he is happy. Now he has a 6:00a.m. practice tommorrow morning. The life of hockey parents!

Our travel agent is trying to book us a hotel in Miami (near the airport)that has a shuttle to and from the airport and also a free shuttle to the cruiseport. Our current plan is to fly in on Saturday, take the hotel shuttle to our hotel, relax, enjoy a nice dinner in Miami and then sleep there Saturday night. On Sunday morning we will take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and have booked the RCCL cruiseship shuttle from the airport to the pier. I think it was $15 each.

When we disembark 2 of us will be flying home that day so we booked the shuttle to the Miami airport as we will be short on time to catch our flight.

If we can find a hotel that provides a free shuttle to the port that would eliminate going back to the airport on Sunday morning. I don't htink the 4 of us and our luggage will fit in a taxi so thought the shuttle might be the best solution.

Any suggestions on airport hotels in Miami that are reasonably price and provide free airport & port shuttles would be great.

I am not sure when Judy 's group is flying in from KC.

I think we all have each other's cabins so feel free to knock on the door anytime!

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
The Hills

Default Old Review of Radiance - Lots of Info

Carol & Judy:

Found this review which gave a great overview of the ship including menus, but I am sure they are out of date.

http://home.tiscali.nl/t411310/radc/radiance13.htm

Printed if off to share with the new cruisers!

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM
JudyJ

Default Re: Old Review of Radiance - Lots of Info

Hi Everybody....well the week-end is almost over, which means we're 2 days closer to our cruise (lol). We are all flying in on Sat. to miami, I booked rooms though Priceline, something must be going on in Miami that week-end because I couldn't get the downtown area, so after 6 try's we got the Crown Plaza at the airport, I think it has free shuttle service and it's only 6 mi from port.

We've been to St. Thomas several times, but have never done a tour. We shopped alot, and have done the sea trek (underwater helmet dive) which was alot of fun and did the beach. Not really sure yet what we're doing in Jan.

St. Marrten I think we're just planning a beach day, not sure if it will be dutch or french side.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Congrats on hockey game, I remember all the running and practices, we have 3 son's and there was always a sport.

Take Care
Judy
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone. I am at work and always check the boards before starting my day. Shhh don't tell my boss. Anyway we decided to fly in on Sat also as you never know how the winter weather in Ohio will be. I book everything on my own, so I did buy airline tickets on Sat. We will be in Miami by 3pm. I don't have a place to stay as of yet, I will start looking for them.

Glad to hear about the hockey game. 6am is awful early for practice, especially on the weekend!!!

Have a great week. Hopefully more will join us soon.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Hello all had to get this back up to the top so we don't lose each other and hopefully more will join. How is everyone doing? We are getting closer to the 80's!!!!!

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM
JudyJ

Good Morning.... it's another rainy day here in KC, sure makes for long days. I'm really surprised we haven't gotten more people for our cruise, maybe we'll have that big ship to ourselfs!! Hope everyone is having a good day.

Take Care
Judy
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM
JudyJ

Good Morning.... it's another rainy day here in KC, sure makes for long days. I'm really surprised we haven't gotten more people for our cruise, maybe we'll have that big ship to ourselfs!! Hope everyone is having a good day.

Take Care
Judy
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
The Hills

Default Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Hi Judy and Carol:

My travel agent hasn't book us a hotel yet so do appreciate the heads up that the hotels downtown are filling up. We will try to book the Crowne Plaza as well. I will keep you posted.

The Hills
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Hello CarolB and Everyone
I was on the Caribbean Princess with Carol and her family, and probably saw Judy, too!!! By the way,Carol, her daughter and sister had horse #2 in the final race, and the rest of us had #6. It was a nice friendly rivalry.
Anyway, I just want to let you know that Carol is a great gal and I know you will just love her! I wish I were going with you all, but Santa has to be REALLY rich, and I have to be on his "good" list! We were supposed to go on the Godfrey Tour with Carol, too, but we went west instead of east. I want you all to have a great time. I'll check in from time to time, if you'll let me.
Take care. I just know that you'll have a great Roll Call thread going like we did. Keep it up! Love, Lynne

Old October 31st, 2004, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Hello everyone and Lynne I am glad you checked in. Crazy weekend for me as I had to put my 17yr old dog to sleep. Still am crazy. Hope everyone else had a good weekend. We are down to 90 and counting.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:13 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I'm enjoying your countdowns! Trevor told me today that he might check into a short cruise for us out of Ft. Lauderdale in December when my son is down.I may make it to Nassau after all! Or maybe Bermuda or Freeport--but, at least it's a cruise!!!! We'll have to see what happens. If nothing else, we'll ride on the Jungle Queen around Ft. Lauderdale and see all the fancy, expensive homes--"The Venice of Florida".
A guy who is going on the Caribbean Princess next week lives in Ft. Lauderdale and took some pictures of her while she was in port. She is backed into her berth-parallel parked, but Skywalker's is facing the Bridge and not the bow of the ship. I didn't think there was enough room for Her to turn around in there. Hmm.
The Radiance of the Seas is pretty big, isn't it??
Take care. I hope you get some sleep tonight, CarolB. Love, Lynne

Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:56 AM
Admiral

Well my friends we are in the 80's now. I hope more will join us soon.

If you have not purchased travel ins yet and want a good one it is travel insured. I used them on the cruise I was on in Sept. and I received my check yesterday. They paid for everything. Hotel, food, taxi, air fare diff., extra days for my car, ect. It even paid for my sisters trip to the Dr. while she was on board. It covers the air and cruise. It is lots cheaper than the cruise lines and covers you from the time you leave home until the time you return. I am going to use them again this time. If you want to check them out it is travelinsured.com. It goes by your age and the cost of the trip. Mine last time was $44 for me, and $39 for my daughter. We paid $130 for 3 of us and received back $367.

Hope everyone is having a Great week.

Post Edited (11-02-04 06:30)

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM
JudyJ

Hi Everyone...Well we've lost 2 from our count, friends from Houston called sunday and said they had to cancel because of work, I told them we would think of them slaving away while we have fun in the sun with the drink of the day. Has everyone made their choice on hotels yet? I think with all the holidays coming our time will start flying by.
Well got to go vote, so hope everyone is having a good week!

Take Care
Judy
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just missed you!
I'm sailing on Radiance February 13-20/05, you'll have to let me know how it was!
What type of cabin did you book?
You can reach me at ckrobyn@hotmail.com
Happy cruising!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:20 AM
Admiral

Hi Robyn, sorry you could not go with us. I have a balcony cabin on the 8 deck. 8052. I had my first balcony cabin on my last cruise, there was nothing like it, it was wonderful. I am a early riser and my daughter is not, so my sister and I would have hot tea and fruit on the balcony every morning. I loved it. Spoiled me real quick. We will tell you all the details when we get back,
Judy, sorry to hear about your friends, I am sure they will be thinking of us while we are out.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Carol,
We booked a Junior Suite on the Radiance (1586) I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next few months until the cruise! I'm obsessed with finding as much info on cruising as I can....so if there is anything you can tell a first timer.....I'm all ears!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
The Hills

Default Re: Re: Re: Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Hi Robyn:

Looks like we have CarolB, JudyJ, and the Hills all going on January 30th with you!

A couple of things to pack that I found helpful:

- roll-up jewellery bag which hangs on the back of a door like as coat hanger. I think you can find them at Sears, or at a luggage store. You can put items such as a travel size bottle of hairspray, and hand lotion for the sunburns!!!, earrings, necklaces and braclets into the various pockets.

- I found a night light is handy as the rooms are pretty small and if you have to get up in the night you don't want to trip over anything! the bathroom lights are pretty bright.

- the cruise lines usually have theme nights one of which is western, so pack some type of western shirt and jeans!

- the cruise lines also have a "horse race" and sometimes you can purchase the horse and can decorate it so think about somethings you might have around the house that can be used for decorations.

- I also like to pack a "fanny" pack to carry a bottle of water, you room key and some cash. You want to avoid heavy backpacks etc. This also comes in handy when travelling though the airport as you can have your passport and tickets in an easy to reach bag and your hands are free to pull along your luggage!

Maybe we should all think about some door decorations for our cabins. If you look back through this thread you will find all the cabin numbers. The Hills will be flying in Saturday and probably staying at the Embassy Suites or maybe the Miami International Airport Hotel (heard the pool was closed until June 2005 so told my agent to look for another hotel).

- in terms of shore excursions, try to book a 1/2 day tour in the morning and then come back to the ship for lunch at the buffet and take the afternoon to shop and tour. As we will be docked in both St. Maarten and St. Thomas it is easy to walk off the ship. Once you have your bookign number you can pre-book the tours. I think some of us will be doing the Butterfly Farm/Marigot trip in St. Maarten and others in our group will be doing the Natural Wonders Tour. See the RCCL site under Before you Board for details.
In St. Thomas we are looking at the Godgrey Tour.

- I also like to bring along a bottle of Baileys to enjoy an evening nightcap on the balcony.

Hope that helps and see you on January 30th.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada

P.S. I heard on the radio today that it someone has spooted some snow flurries so I am counting days to get to the sun!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
The Hills

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Hi Robyn:

Looked over the thread again and I guess we won't be crossing paths as you are going on February 13th if I read the mails right. Oh well have fun anyways!

Guess it is just the Hills, Carol B and JudyJ so far on the 30th.

The Hills.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/30/05

Yup, February 13-20/05 are my cruise dates.....
Sounds like you all are going to have a great time, I'm hoping to find people that are cruising on the same dates as myself....the more the merrier!
I hope you are planning to write a full review after your cruise, I'll be waiting for it!
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:31 PM
The Hills

Carol or Judy:

Still haven't heard from travel agent but did see on Expedia that the Holiday Inn Miami International Airport has a complimentary Value Package that is fee and includes free round trip transaportation to/from airport and to the pier. Have either of you stayed at this hotel or know anyone that has?

I also asked her to check out the Crowne Plaza but it was going to be $233 per night and we would like 4 seperate beds. We will be having 4 in a room for the cruise so want to spend that last night apart!!!

The cost seemed pretty reasonable.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM
JudyJ

Hi Everyone....well another week closer to our cruise!! It's a beautiful fall day here in KC. Hills...we've never stayed at any of the hotels near the airport this will be our first time. Hope everyone has a good week.

Take Care
Judy
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Admiral

Good morning everyone. I have been off on a camping trip and have not been able to check in.
Robyn, I am also doing the Godfrey Tour in St. Thomas. I don't know if you are doing the Eatern or not. If you are you might want to check him out. Only $20 and everyone says he is great.

I have booked at hotel. I can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head. It isn't the top of the line, but it will be somewhere to lay my head. We don't get there until late, so we didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. I will have to look at my papers. It picks you up at the airport, but not to the peir. It also gives you a breakfast buffet in the morning. It didn't look like to bad of a place. As long as it is clean is all I care about.

Hope everyone has a good day.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09