Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
mrshark

Default how could this happen?????

I called up RCCL to inquire about my final payment for Explorer of the Seas 2/6/04. They gave me a total amount about $800.00 higher than I had anticipated. I asked for a breakdown of the charges, and the c/s rep told me airfare of $798.00.

I never booked or requested air from RCCL, and booked my own airfare to fly down a day early. I had RCCL remove the air, but does anyone know how this could have happened?

I asked the reservations agent when I booked the cruise to explain to me how custom air worked, but never requested any air be booked. They booked me same day flydown which I have learned is a no no during the winter here in Connecticut.

Any ideas???????
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: how could this happen?????

Here is just another reason why using a good Travel Agent is important. Sounds like you booked directly with RCI. The end result is that they can back out/cancel the air line reservation and it should not inconveniece you nor be assessed to your credit card. People make mistakes. It sounds like a simple misunderstanding on the reservationist part. Had you not bought your own air, at least you would have had flights. $400 pp for airfare is a lot of money, too especialy since Southwest flies into FLL.
Bon Voyage
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
mrshark

Default Re: Re: how could this happen?????

yes nanatravel,

Since RCCL did away with the discounts for travel agents, I figured it would make no difference if I called and booked directly with them. After I booked the cruise, I booked my own airfare. Guess it could have been just an honest mistake, and the rep I just spoke to had no problem just taking off the air.

I understand mistakes can happen, glad I called in advance of my final payment to make sure everything was all set. Next time back to the travel agent.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Since RCCL did away with the discounts for travel agents, I figured it would make no difference
That isn't necessarily so. RCI is still offering group rates to agents, so if you find one who's consortium is holding group space, you can still save $$$.

At worst an agent costs you no more, and you get service over and above what a cruise line order taker will provide.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
mrshark

Default Re: Re: how could this happen?????

Kuki,

Thanks, I did not know that. So far been on Grandeur, Vision, Legend, and Radiance, and never had a RCCL problem. Guess human error was to blame here, and I figured I was eliminating the "middleman" by booking directly w/RCCL.

Next time I will try to find a TA with the group bookings you were talking about. I like having a TA I can call with questions/concerns.

Regards
Mrshark
Old October 24th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

Aside from believing in the value of a good T/A, last year I e-mailed "RCI Custom Air" a question regarding the price difference for an air upgrade on an existing booking. Imagine my T/A's surprise when he found out (months later) that they had cancelled my $99 air special and BOOKED the upgrade! The T/A remedied the problem (since the $99 rate was no longer officially available) but it brought to light the same problem as this poster. How/why is "RCI Custom Air" bridging the gap between what we ask them for and what they are providing?? Hope they figure it out because I am still loyal to them though and plan to be "Diamond Plus" in 2006!