Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default St maarten, Front St

For any recent cruisers to St maarten, could you tell me if you were advised specifically, of construction, on Front St, or just a general construction advisery..thanks

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:19 PM
BoozeBabe

Default Re: St maarten, Front St

I've heard about "construction" on Front St ever since our first cruise there. Remember they are on island time there. And yes there is always construction going on. Just walk around it. The street is only about 15 feet wide and traffic only travels about 5 MPH. And sometimes people stop their cars to do "transactions" right there with absolutely no regard for the 40 cars backed up behind them.

My advice: If you rent a car DO NOT DRIVE DOWN FRONT ST. There are parking lots just one block back on the next street.

Mostly all you can do on Front St is shop or get a bite to eat anyway. And it hasn't stopped the throngs yet.
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:16 AM
rkamen

We just got back from St. Martin and Front street was closed to all vehicular traffic.
The street surface was non-existant and was all sand. Most of the sidewalk was torn up and they are installing new brick paver sidewalks. Lot's of jack hammering going on.

We were told by local merchants that they expected to be completed by December - in time for the winter season. Being most locals operate on "island time", I was just wondering what winter season they were talking about 2004 or 2005, or even 2006?

We are going back in mid-December this year and I am curious to see how much did, or did not, get completed. My money says it won't be done by December 2004. January or February 2005 is an outside possibility.

By the way - the on-going construction did not hinder us in any way from walking around town or shopping. The street is too noarrow for vehicular traffic - so with it being closed, it made walking a bit easier - but a bit dirtier and dusty.

Bob
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Dan P

We just returned from our cruise yesterday on the Empress of the Seas.Front street to the left of the ferry pier was just about finished,to the right of the pier was a mess.
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St maarten, Front St

Dan P -

Can you give me the scoop on the Empress? I'm cruising on the Empress on December 20th and I am anxious to hear all about her.

Old November 8th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: St maarten, Front St

Just got back yesterday. Front Street is a mess! only good thing about it is you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car cause the road is closed to vehicles. Be careful when crossing or walking on the street cause there is alot of debris & uneven pavement from the construction. Great shopping though!