Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default width of cabin doors on Monarch of the Sea

Does anyone know what the width of a typical cabin door is on RCCL's Monarch of the Seas?
I have a group of 50 friends and family members going on cruise in Feb and my brother, a leg amputee, wants to join us, but there are no handicap rooms available.

His motorized wheel chair has a wheel span of 24 inches. (that sounds quite narrow to me, but thats the measurement he gave me.)

Does anyone know if that will fit thru a regular cabin door?
If the chair doesn't fit thru the door, once he's inside he could use crutches, but could he leave the chair outside the door in the hallway?

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: width of cabin doors on Monarch of the Sea

I don't have the door dimensions, but I can tell you the cabins on the Monarch of the Seas, under a Category B are TINY.

Unfortunately, unless he can get a handicapped cabin. he will have problems with his chair, even if he can get it in the cabin.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:59 PM
BoozeBabe

I don't know how one could possibly turn a wheelchair around in a cabin. You can hardly do it standing up!!!!!! And then there is the bathroom..........YIKES
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Laurie, perhaps check again with your TA to see whether they can bump someone from a disabled cabin. We had one on the Monarch and would have gladly given it up. Just a thought.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Harry....

I saw the pics you posted of your cabin on the Monarch. As its turned out, I was able to book that EXACT same cabin (2007) for my brother. (odd thing...when I spoke to my group representative at RCCL, I was told they were sold out of handicap rooms. But when I spoke to the "special needs" representative, that room was available.)
The only thing is, now he's not sure if he can swing the cost (he's on limited income due to his disability). He has to pay the current rate, which is $170 more than when I first booked the group. If I had known he was interested in going on the cruise with us, I could have requested a handicap room at the time of the original booking and it would have cost the same.

BTW...I found out the door width for regular cabins on the Monarch is 23 inches. (his chair is 24 inches!...one stinking inch is costing him $170 more.)

Post Edited (10-27-04 20:38)
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess