Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:35 PM
roastedbagel

Default Using a birth certificate to board...

Hello all, well I'm going on Explorer of the Seas this month, Im really excited about it,
and had a question. I have been reading through many of the posts on here as other sites as well and wnated to know of any first hand experiences if any, of you had, I know that traveling with the passport is a whole lot easier however my car is out of comission and havent been able to get accomodations to the post office, etc. plus getting off work to do so was tough, So I wanted to know if anyone has used the birth certificate to board and how was it different than from having a passport, cause the rest of my family going with me does have a passport, so I hope someone can clue me in on what to expect, like if the difference of having that or a passport is a dramatic difference boarding wise, lines, etc. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:51 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Using a birth certificate to board...

The birth certificate must be an official copy (e.g. raised seal). If your name on your bc isn't the same on your driver's license, then I would also carry a copy of whatever document caused your name change (marriage certificate). Sometimes, they will have separate lines for BC folks and passport folks. The passport line moves much faster, however the rest of your party can go through the BC line with you. The line is slower because they scrutinize BCs more than passports.

By the way, some cruise lines will take passports that are expired, if the expiration is no more than 10 years old. Kind of makes sense when you think of it, any passport will ID you as well as a birth certificate.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

We travelled with birth certificates & driver's licenses. It was no problem. We were never put in different lines from passports and I don't think it was really any slower. You must have your driver's license or some form of picture ID as well as the birth certificate though I'm sure. You might want to check the RCI website regarding the acceptable forms of ID.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
First Mate

We boarded with birth certificates and driver's licenses with no problem. My name is different on my bc because I'm married now, but I didn't have to have anything else to prove who I am. I guess they figure women change their names. It wasn't a problem at all.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
sailgirl

We traveled with BC and driver's liscence and had no problem. Actually we got to the port nice & early on both Royal & Carnival and were practically the first one's on board. However, in today's world i'm sure it's best to have the passport. We are planning to get them this year.