Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Sis

Default Damaged luggage

Just came back from vos, and luggage was so badly damaged is there anyway to be compensated for that.......and if so how?
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Damaged luggage

Hi Sis,
If you purchased travel insurance, I'd go that route and see whats covered there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It would also depend on if you flew. Damage by the airline wouldn't be covered by the cruise line.

If the bags were damaged by the cruise line you may find some compensation from them.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Sis

Thanks all.
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Doris Miller

We had our luggage dropped in the ocean by RCCL after our Alaska cruise. We did not find out until the pier and customs. They had a RCCL employee take a claim and they said they would take care of it. To make a very long story short, I had to file a claim and after many phone calls and letters we received $600.00 which is the max. for 2 people. If you just have luggage damage I feel it would not be worth your time and all the stress involved. I wish you luck!
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:10 PM
browezilla

RCCL bought me a new pullman when it was damaged in transit from the ship to the dock, however I reported the damage at the dock so there was no question as to when it occurred.

I have always found RCCL to be fair in such matters.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM
browezilla

Just curious, but in the previous append "We had our luggage dropped in the ocean by RCCL", I think the luggage is moved off of the ship by port authority workers and not RCCL employees, but I may be wrong.
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Dan P

I agree with brow.We had damage done to one of our bags,and we reported it to the cruise line befor we left the dock.After filling out the claim we were giving a copy of the complaint and told to send the damaged bag to a location on the report.It was sent to Miami for repairs.We had to pay for the UPS but received a check from RCCL within three weeks for reinbursments.We got the bag back within a month and all repairs were complete.
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

i went on my second RCCL cruise on the navigator for my spring break this past april. We picked up our luggage at the airport, and it was fine, however when i got my luggage on the ship there was a HUGE hole in my brand new luggage (so big that you could see almost all of my clothes inside!!) anyways, RCCL did not compensate by giving money or anything, they just replaced the suitcase. When we got home to the detroit airport, i picked up my BRAND NEW suitcause from the baggage carousel only to find that my luggage had been damaged again - this time by the airline.

disney wonder - 4/02
voyager of the seas - 4/03
navigator of the seas - 4/04
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Damaged luggage

I am still fighting both NW Airlines and the TSA for damaged luggage from a flight over a year ago. They are both pointing fingers at each other and no one wants to take responsibility.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sis

Default Re: Re: Re: Damaged luggage

Well we flew and picked up our own luggage took a taxi and then handed it over to the porter at the cruise ship pier. Luggage was find when we got it from the airport. The damage was done when they brought them on the ship. I have no receipts, (who keeps receipts for luggage), so I don't think that they would do anything about it. I had 3 suit cases damaged and 1 garment bag damaged. Was so happy to see our luggage arrive in our room when we did but very shocked to see how damaged it arrived. Funny how the airlines can handle it with no damage but the cruise line didn't. I still would like to go about putting in a complaint to Rccl about it. I called and left message but of course nobody has returned my call and I doubt very much they will. I took insurance out but don't see what good it will do.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sis.. When your luggage was delivered to your cabin damaged, did you go to the Guest Relations desk to report the damage?

That should have started the claim for damage right there.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 12th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Sis

Kuki,

The line was so long at the guest relations desk I just said forget about it I figured I could of taken care of it when I got home. I guess that was stupid on my part.
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sis - unfortunately, if you don't start the reporting process immediately, you will lose out. Even if the lines are long and the wait seems interminable, you have to report it immediately or there is no way the cruise line will take any action to compensate you. You will be telling the truth, but how can you prove it? And with all the bogus complaints filed against the cruise lines every day, they just can't assume you are telling the truth. That is why it is so important to start your claim immediately.

I'm sorry your luggage was damaged so badly, but if it was that bad, I would have gone down and waited in that darn line as long as it took to start the claim process.