Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Ship's "SECRET" cabins

With alot of help from you, I'd like to write an article about the "Secret Cabins" on various ships.

Most ships have a few "secret cabins" which are different than other cabins within the same category. They could be different because of larger balconies, or large cabin because of the layout, etc.

Some examples might be the "hump cabins" on RCI Radiance Class, or the FVs on Celebrity, the aft cabins on many ships.

If you've ever stayed in one of these secret cabins I'd appreciate you posting the ship, cabin #, and ammenities that you felt gave it that something extra.

Also would like to hear about the awful secret cabins. Those that are noisy because of a bar or disco around it, etc.

Again.. please be specific, with ship, cabin #, and reason to avoid.

Thanks in advance with the help for this article. Hope I can get enough input to make it work.

Post Edited (11-10-04 14:45)
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Ship's

I've got one. I went on the Sovereign once by myself and found a good rate for a cabin on the Promenade deck. These cabins only extend from the centrum forward and have a window overlooking the promenade. People walking can look in at you. Well I took an inside #7001 all the way forward. It appeard from the deck plans there were only a handful of these and it looked like there was an exit onto the promende forward. There was not and due to the shape of the forward superstructure, the wall sloped at 45 degrees over the beds. It was not a problem for me but some may have been disappointed as it seemed even smaller than the typical inside cabin. I still managed to get lucky in there though. These cabins don't appear to be part of the original deck plan. See attached deck plan.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM
elli

Default Ship's

Hi Kuki,

One such cabin comes to mind. On the Carnival Spirit, there are some balcony cabins with obstructed views that you could get for a reduced rate, and the view really isn't that obstructed. The specific cabin I am thinking of however, has an extra large balcony, but doen't cost extra. There are a few such staterooms on the ship, but the one I sayed in was #6232. If you look at the deck plans of the ship, you can see that the balcony is twice the size of the rest. It was a very enjoyable part of our cruise.

~elli
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM
mrshark

Kuki,

We stayed in cabin 7600 on Radiance of the Seas. Right in the middle of the "hump" Extra benefits of this cabin were:

1) Right next to the elevators
2) Better view of the ocean below since we were on the hump

Friends stayed in the same class of cabin not on the hump, cabin looked identical to ours.

Hope this helps.
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Overtyme100 Send a message via Yahoo to Overtyme100

Is the balcany larger or smaller on the "hump" in the radience class?
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Yeoman

Hi Overtyme...the "Radiance" hump balconies answer is that it depends on which deck you are on. The "hump" on decks 7 & 8 are a mixture of category "E" cabins, deck 9 is all category "D" and deck 10 is all suites. SO.....when we stayed in 7608 we had a small , very nice balcony BUT next door in 7606, the balcony was a sliver while 7610 was large due to handicapped accesibility. Even on deck 10, we stayed in 1556 ("B" or "GS" now) and the balcony was twice as wide but no deeper than other side balconies. It was also not a great location for sun worshippers due to the overhang on deck 11 but we loved the view over the water (plus it was an upgrade which made it sweeter).

And to Kuki; my secret location has been exposed on the boards since most folks know about the aft cabin extended balconies now. BUT the secret may be knowing which cabins to book and when. My expertise is the Radiance class and 1104 IS the cabin but only in cold weather. Reason? "Windjammer" outdoor seating area is above you and can be quite noisy with talking and chairs scraping back and forth as people seat themselves, etc during a warm weather itinerary. So I have 1104 booked in May for the first Alaska run ("Radiance") but in September we have 8672 booked through the canal ("Serenade").

Any specific questions I can chime in on, I answer all my cruise e-mail. And no, I am not always cruising but am blessed to be able to go 2 or 3 times per year.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Nancy/Chicago

I don't cruise til January, but my 8A balcony cabin #6450 on the Carnival Valor is just forward of the aft cabins. Cost was same as other 8A's, but 6450 is 'sideways' and has a 75 foot balcony (the size of a 9A 'deluxe balcony' and instead of the regular 35')

Nancy
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't remeber the cabin number but my friend and I booked a guarantee inside cabin on the Sensation. We were thrilled to get a 4 category upgrade. We wound up across the hall in an outside cabin. Since we were almost all the way forward, the cabin was a rather unusual size due to the curve of the ship. That wasn't too bad though. What we didn't realize was that we were right over the anchor chain. We found out about the chain when we docked at 6:30 AM. Who needed an alarm!!!! So beware of forward cabins.

Judy
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Uh oh, what do you mean by sliver in room 7606 on Radiance of the Seas for the balcony. I'm not a person requiring a lot of space. I just want to know there is enough room for two chairs....can you let me know Robbie?

Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Yeoman

Hi Auggiemom, there were 2 of the small chairs there but I remember our neighbor complaining that it was easier to stand. Our balcony (7608) was recessed so we had room to sit comfortably.
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
jpno318

KUKI I AM NEW TO THIS BOARD FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS AND WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR RESEARCH AND KNOWLEDGE.IT REALLY HELPS ALOT .BIG THANK YOU
JOHN
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Im on deck 10 of radiance of the Sea ..... but I don't have a suite....... So there are "normal" cabins up there.
~Cassie
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Well, too late now to change to a different cabin. I'll let you know when I get back how 7606 (on Radiance) really is. I'm sad now, as this was the first time we were getting a balcony, as our travel agent made it sound like it was a great cabin midship portside. Guess you can't trust them. Oh well.

Iberostar Quetzal - Mexico 11/06
Old November 16th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Marysunshine

Default Re: Re: Ship's

I am in 8606 on Serenade of the Seas for next April. I would really appreciate your report when you return. Looking forward to reading it.
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Great idea.

Carnival Triumph (also Victory)

(1) Verandah deck 8 category 9a AFT cabin#8428 and #8433:
(2) Empress deck 7 category 9a AFT cabin #7422 and #7425

(1) Great 3 sided balcony with views directly out from the side which allows you to look forward the entire length of the ship, plus a long 45 degree section AND a portion looking directly aft. View-view-view

PROS: very private, sunny, gentle breezes-if any, long-very long. VIEW!
CONS: standard width, so deck recliner/loungers must remain sideways, chairs may face out however you'll need to step over the legs of the person next to you to pass.

Room itself is equiped with a REAL QUEEN bed-not 2 twins pushed together. Lots of windows. Space was sufficient for a couple but barely adequate if entertaining, especially with the couch, everyone would have to stand. Some scuffeling sounds from above aft pool deck early am.

(2) Only differences are: no straight section looking directly aft - not a problem.
PROS: quieter cabin, much better layout yielded room for moving about and entertaining-even with the couch. CONS: none to speak of.

Conclusion: given the choice I'd do EMPRESS deck over verandah.

Willy
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Admiral

RCI, Mariner of the Seas #1690 and 1390 on deck 10 Category D1 - same price as other D1s. Aft cabins are wider and longer with much more walking room, balcony was double width and length holding 2 full lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table. Also, #1688 and 1388 (corners Port & Starboard) are much wider cabins with a pole in each cabin but a porta-crib plus a pull-out sofa are accommodated well. Balcony is wider and a bit longer, but the steel hull does cut the periphial view and space. As you go down each deck, the configuration does change and the cabin & balcony sizes are smaller.

Carnival Pride & Legend, #8232 (?): There are a total of 6 extended balcony cabins but 3 are designated HP on the striped decks. When looking at a deck plan, look at the rear bank of elevators. Those cabins that appear on the Port side near or beside the elevators are actually separated by a stewards ice closet; no elevator noise. These balconies were triple length from right to left not width and were also great. They had two full lounge chairs and two regular chairs with a table.

Celebrity Millennium; FV cabin Port & Starboard aft corner (#7??? cabins). This is a two room cabin with divider but one bathroom. Closet space is fabulous, plus there is an entry hallway for storage and two door bells. The balcony was triple width and length plus the veiw was aft and port side with no obstructions. There were two lounge chairs, 4 regular chairs and a patio sized dining table. The Living room had 2 sleep sofa's which converted to accommodate 3 children. However, our 3rd child was 12 yrs. old and they would not allow her to room with her two younger siblings as they considered her an adult. If Nana wasn't cruising too, I would have questioned if she would have been allowed to purchase her own cabin, but she roomed with us right next door in a triple. These cabins are right above the Presidential Suites. As you go up a deck level, the balcony is recessed thus slighty smaller. People can be seen from above if they are standing or lounging nearest to the rail.

Bon Voyage
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
T xo

Default RCCL

Has anyone ever stayed in ajoining rooms 9614/9612 on Navigator of the Seas?
We were wondering how the "BUMP" affected the balcony space? Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Ilene

Auggiemom - Plan on getting on the ship as early as possible - then if you see the room/balcony and aren't happy, go to guest relations and complain. I can almost guarantee you that they will move you, if at all possible. We did that President's week (and there was a big sign that said the ship was full). We were moved from a room overlooking the lifeboats (mid ship - Radiance - 7th floor) to a room, Aft with a Huge balcony that looked right over the water. Good luck!
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Matt Karp

If I tell you my secret, it won't be a secret anymore. I'll give you a hint, it involves Radiance class ships. There is one cabin, off the stern, that has a much larger balcony than all the rest in this category of staterooms. You'll have to check the deck plans to find out. Consider this a treasure hunt.
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to Dave Pearce Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Pearce

Was that the Junior Suite Cabin 1100?

Ruby Princess - Nov 11-18, 2012
Monarch Of the Seas - Oct 18-22, 2010
Radiance Of the Seas - Oct 14-19, 2009
Sovereign Of the Seas - Sept 26-29, 2008
Explorer Of the Seas - May 15-22, 2005
Voyager Of the Seas - May 19-26, 2002
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Yup that is the one I Stayed in it on 11/28/04 JOS. Great room. I had oceanview deck 2 upgraded for 250. I am sure it will not happen again.

Old March 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Just back from the Brilliance. We stayed in cabin 9576. This cabin is midships, just in front of the suites, and the balcony is wider than other balconies because is slopes out to meet the "hump". All in all we were very pleased with it.
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Cindy777

Default Re: Re: Re: Ship's Brillance

Any good tips for the ship Brillance...don't know my cabin # but I'm to be placed on 7th deck. Any good or bad cabins, how do you change if it's bad.
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Captain

Rhapsody of the Seas
Cabin 8088
We had 35 friends in the cabin and on the balcony for our champagne sail away,
no one was crowded. The only way to play..............
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM
First Mate

We leave in 2 days on Explorer in room 8310. Tried to get more on the "hump" but this was as close as we coulg get. REALLY wanted an aft cabin and was told we couldn't...this was thru cruisesonly.com. Disappointing as we booked our cabin in AUG!

mary

Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
dkoitz

We just sailed the Splendor of the Seas 3/26/05. We were in balcony room 7014. According to RCI website our shower should of been a rounded glass enclosure shower. It wasn't, it was a curtain.
The guy in the suite directly above us on floor #8, said he heard lots of noises through the day and night from the I believe the kitchen or bar.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Joemo-

I have cabin 8088 & 8086 on the Radiance. Are both the balcony's as large as they look? Do you know if the partition between the 2 balconies can swing open making ine HUGE deck?
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Millenium CABIN #8176

and all the AFT cabins - Decks are huge and it is very quiet back there. Watching the wake & sunset with a cocktail in hand as you pull out of St. Thomas - nothing better!

Beware that much of the deck is in the shade most of the time - not a bad thing in my mind though!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Andre

Having just returned from RCI's Majesty of the Seas, I have a couple of tips:

Don't book deck 7 "ocean view" cabins. What you actually get is a view of the promenade deck and its pedestrian traffic (a friend of ours was sitting in his cabin and some guy pressed his face to the window looking in at him - kind of disconcerting!).

Keep in mind that the outer cabins on deck 6 are directly below the walking/running track of the promenade deck. Guests ARE asked not to run or powerwalk between 10pm and morning - and maybe they adhere to that, but you take your chances.

I also suspect that there are A LOT of obstructed cabins on decks 8 & 9 (there has to be - the lifeboats are up there). No firsthand on this though.

Oh, and despite reading to the contrary, there are not "safes in every cabin." We were in a deck 5 ocean view, and the only "safe" was the purser's desk. Maybe suites have them?

Great cruise though.

Andre
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Passenger

Stayed in #9092 on the Brilliance. It's just as the deckplan shows. Regular roon, but enormous balcony! Room for 4 lounge chairs.