Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Sis

Default Pricing

Does anyone know, if you get a better price if you book your cruise in way in advance, opposed to booking lets say 2 months ahead of time?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Pricing

You can save some money by booking early, but you also get a better choice of a cabin by booking early as well. I try to book as soon as I can.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:35 AM
browezilla

Early being the cheapest was the case for a long time. Then after 9/11 it swung the other direction as cruiselines were discounting cabins heavily just prior to the sail date to fill the ship. Shortly after that it seemed to be all over the place as the cruiselines were trying to get out of the "heavily discounted just prior to sail date" arena and return to their pre-9/11 formula. From what I'm seeing now, passenger volume is WAY UP (estimated to be 30% higher), so I would book as early as possible and keep watching the rates as you approach the sail date.

In the end, it's like the airlines somewhat. Its all about capacity planning. If there is a lot of unfilled capacity on the ship, they will discount to fill the ship. If the capacity is low, the price goes up.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

We always wait till ~ 1 month before the sail date. Keep an eye out but be aware that prices usually drop closer to the sail date. Of course this year things have been going a weird on the Cruise deals so ya never know!
~Cassie
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
Admiral

My TA tells me that the days of great deals shortly before sailings are over. From watching the prices over the last year, I'd tend to agree. I booked early for both of my cruises and watched the prices rise as it got closer to sailing on both.

Plus, if you book early you have that much more time to get excited!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
cruisinisgreat

HOW EARLY ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT???? WHATS THE BEST MONTH TO CRUISE IN???
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Price wise, I have found the best deals the last week of Nov and the first two weeks of Dec. Also the first week in Jan. There are good prices in Sep, Oct and Nov but you run the risk of hurricanes interrupting your cruise. Early Dec and Jan have fewer kids too. Guess most folks don't want to cruise just before or just after the holidays.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
shwcruise

I read a business article more than 9 months back about RCL and how they were going to stop the last minute discounting and really work more on "yield management".

As I've been looking for cruises it seems to be the case that the last minute blow out is gone for now.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:42 AM
Yeoman

It's hard to know what to attribute that to, though, because load-levels are so high. In a way, the reason why you aren't finding as many or as generous last-minute deals, now, may be because the product have been comparatively underpriced.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
CruzCrazy

I always book early as early as 1 year or 1 1/2 years in advance. Because I want to pick my cabin on an upper deck.

She also told me you get the better prices the earlier you book, not the last minute.

My agent has a website and I go in and check all the weeks and the prices. I always cruise the week before Xmas. You can get some great prices at this time. I won't cruise during hurricane season, too hot in the Caribbean and the weather is real iffy.

Here's an example of a early price I got by booking last year:

Millenium 7-days eastern caribbean R/T Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 2, 2005, inside cabin Cat 9 for $519 pp or $74 a day. This cruise is close to sold out as of today.

Check out some websites that list all the weeks for the ship you want and compare the prices per week. Then choose from there the category you are interested in.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to My_chemical_romance27

DEAR CRUZ CRAZY ....WILL YOU PLEASE SHARE THAT WEBSITE THAT YOUR TRAVEL AGENT HAS WITH US...MAYBE IT CAN BENEFIT US...THANKS IN ADAVANCE
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Pricing

We always book early too, currently we're booked through March 2006. We do this in large part because of work and vacation schedules. Due to seniority, work responsabilities, etc, we must put in our vacation schedules by January 15th. Once submitted that's pretty much it. Unless there is an emergency like a death in the family or illness, that's our vacation time and it can't be changed. So booking at the last minute is not an option.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean