Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
hcat

Default food on Brilliance

To anyone recently on this ship, how was the food overall? How many choices were on the dinner menu? Is there alternate casual dining available? What is the rooms sevice menu like? We plan to try Potrofinos & CHops--are they worth it & do their menus change at all or stay the same? Any info will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: food on Brilliance

I thought the food was great. Plenty of menu choices unless you are traveling with a picky eater. Chops and Portifino were great. We ate there more than we did in the main dining room. We did the 10 night Panama Canal earlier in the year. While we were on board we booked a 12 night Med cruise for next June. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me direct at ziggypup@aol.com
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:31 PM
hcat

Sounds like no problem getting res for Chops & Portofino. How much extra did it cost & were there any hiddent costs? That med. itin sounds great...& it is always smart to book ahead if you can.
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Last I heard on Chops and Portofino they carried a $25 supplement per person per night to dine there

You will have at least three main course choices at dinner in the dining room. There have been nights when I did not fancy any of them, so I would ask the table attendant to get me a steak and fries, you get limited other alternative choices including vegetarian.

Buffet food is buffet food and its good. But get into the dining room at night, its good food and the ambience is special

Room service menu is basic, fries, pizza, club sandwich etc

Take it as it comes and try everything, but that is one of my fav RCL ships, stunning and usually a good crowd and great crew

Have good one

David
Old December 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM
hcat

3 main course choices seems a bit on the limited side. Are they always the same ones or do they vary? Was the menu more extenssive in the specialty spots. We have cruised Royal before & are not expecting great things with food like on Celeb.--just something palatable & satisfying...with prompt service....
Old December 21st, 2004, 08:45 PM
CruzCrazy

I was on the Brilliance in 2002 the first year it came out and I did not care for the dining room food. Now I'm not a picky eater, but the spices were off. The pastas had some strange flavorings. I did like the Windjammer though, great assortment of foods and set up for ease.

Overall, it's a fantastic ship and I would definately sail on her again.

I'm going on the Jewel on a back-to-back cruise next December and I hope the dining room food is better.

I may be spoiled after being on four Celebrity cruises since the Brilliance one, but I'm learning not to order the pasta and stick to certain cuts of meat and chicken when in doubt.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Potofinos and Chops is a must, the food was outstanding and service was great. No problem getting a table. When we cruised in Feb. of this year we were charged $20 pp.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:50 PM
hcat

Thanks--I don't usually order any pastas--I am diabetic & limit my carbs. On a long trip I think it will be good to have two other options to try out. Alot depends on who our dinner companions will be--some times you just need a break or want to spend time just with your spouse! Have enjoyed our dinner partners more on celeb than Royal which seems to really mismatch people...I enjoy breakfast & lunch in the dining room because you get to meet so many different people but are not required to eat with them for two weeks straight like they are your new family!
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
rkamen

Hi all,
Just back from the Dec 13th 11-day sailing in the Brilliance. As a bit of background, we also sailed on her in December 2002. The ship is in excellent condition and to my mind - one of the most beautiful in the fleet.

I found the food in the main dining room to be lacking in quality and selection. On many nights I just opted for the standard Salmon or Steak which is available every night. While our waiter was pretty good - our busboy was horrible. Had to keep asking for the same things night after night. I was getting pretty mad towards the end of the cruise.

Portofino and Chops are both excellent. Their menu's do not change. Charge is $20/per person. I feel if the food in the dining room was better, there would be no need to spend the extra money for these venues.

Buffets in the Windjammer were fine - but after 11-days - it gets boring and repetitive. I ate quite a few lunches in the Seaview Cafe on deck 12. That venue is outstanding and the food is hot and freshly made to order.

Entertainment was mediocre at best. The production shows were terrible and we walked out on 2 of them.

I would sail on the Brilliance again - but my expectations would not be as high as they were when we planned this trip - our 2nd on this ship. If we had paid full fare like those that cruised this week over the holidays - I would have been extremely upset. Considering the great deal we had for a balcony on the Dec 13th sailing - I really can't complain. At $90/per day/per person - there was little to match the overall experince.
Bob & Penny
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Denies

Default Re: Re: food on Brilliance

We did the Brilliance is June out of Barcelona. The food was terrible. We took my parents with us and my mother made the statement the food on the Sovereign out of Port Canaveral left this food in the dust.
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:22 AM
KayC

Nas good as what we had on other RC and Celebrity cruises. We were quite surprised to find a smaller menu on the Brilliance than what we had experienced on the other ships. My husband theorized it was due to cost cutting.
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:31 PM
hcat

WOW, these are not very good reviews over all. Generally, Royal food is not the high point of any cruise but hope we will not be too disappointed. I could not imagine the quality of food or service being even less than it usually has been. That would move into the unacceptable range. Have already decided to dine at a rest. on Aruba--the only port we'll be in late enough to do so. Has anyone on this route tried El Gaucho in Aruba? With that night out, Portofino & Chops I guess we'll have some variety...Aftre two Celeb cruises hope we will enjoy--sounds like the ship itself is very nice...
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM
rkamen

Hcat,
While the ship itself is beautiful - and to my mind, a perfect size and passenger load, as an overall experience, it does not even come close to Celebrity.

Food, service, personal attention, entertainment, etc are far better on Celebrity. This was our 11th cruise on Royal and 2nd on this ship. I was very disappointed.

I am already looking at booking my regular December cruise for 2005. Right now - The Birlliance fits my dates. I can tell you that the dates and itinerary are perfect, but I am not so sure I want to sail on her again. If I can't find a Celebrity cruise that interests me for my allotted time frame - I might consider Princess before I re-consider the Brilliance.

Brillaince is beautiful and I love the ship, but it does not outweigh the decline in food, service, entertainment and those small immenities that make the total cruise a great exoerience.
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:11 PM
FloraB

We Just got off the Dec 3 sailing to the Panama Canal Yes the food is just about above average but for us it was fine The dining room at night offered soup salad appetizer main course and several deserts You could always have steak and baked potaoe as a regular item The choices were varied which we like, an had some international flavor to them. If you wanted dinner in Windjammer the same menu was available there. In the main dining room, just ask if you want something special My husband had shrimp cocktail every night, just tell them. I was told that you could order anything from the dining room menu for room service also
Food was only a notch or two above average the ambiance of the ship more than made up for it. Any inquiries are welcome.
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM
hcat

We are already booked for this back from a recent trip--can you tell me which nights are formal casual etc. either by day or Port. We are planning dinner out in Aruba & will space out the other nights with Chops & Portofino. Never expect fine dining with Royal but I do love the ships...Also how were the ports.? What was Gr Cayman like after the storm? Can you tell me if Paradise Reef & Cafe (with its Purple Roof) is still there or the Big Bamboo Brew Pub. We were thinking of not taking an excursion & just hanging out at one if these places...only two ships are scheduled right now for the day we are in port so maybe we'll be lucky & avoid the crowds!
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM
hcat

Any info on these two rest .would be helpful Thanks
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Wes&Bet

Just wondering if anyone from RCCL checks out this site or are we just wasting air space!!!
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM
hcat

For me the value of the site is getting helpful info so we can plan ahead better or deal with issues that arise, thus maiking the vacation go nicely! If I had a real complaint I'd lodge it with the hotel director on board or write a letter to management. I do suspect they must have someone take a loook--wouldn't that be wise??