Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Southern Caribbean cruise

Need some help. My husband and I are trying to plan a cruise to the southern Caribbean. If you have done this cruise, what is the best time of year to go and what cruise ship/line? Some people have told us Royal Caribbean, some Carnival and others Celebrity. Need some imput.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2005, 04:41 PM
saabgal

Default Re: Southern Caribbean cruise

Hello,
My family and I just got back from an 11 night Exotic/South. Carib Cruise. We sailed on the Empress of the Seas, RCI. This was the Christmas cruise, it was sold out, so there were no last minute deals. Why is this important? It sails out of San Juan and from what I understand, when most of the passengers are from SJU, the atmosphere onboard is much different. That's all I'll say.

Our cruise was fantastic. We sailed to St. Barts, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, (skipped Grenada due to Hurricane damage), Margarita Island(Venezuela), Curacao, and Aruba. Christmas day was a day at sea, and so was the day before returning to San Juan.

The ship is the smallest of RCI's but it has been rated #1 in service in the fleet. Pack smart, and the small cabins won't be an issue, and hey, with this many ports of call, how much time can you spend in your cabin.

We sat with a family who was on their 7th cruise (3rd for 2004) and they told us they have sailed with RCI a few times and would not go back to Carnival.

I would do this cruise again if given the chance. If you do book it, just a couple of tips:
1. Bring extra hangers so you can use all the closet space available, because drawers are very small.
2. Bring alarm clock so you know what time it is in your room.
3. Bring along Bonine or some other medicine, since the ship is small, you do feel it moving. It was ok, we even has some rather rough seas from Aruba to SJU, but the bonine ( and it's Target brand generic form) did the trick for my family.

Good luck.
Old January 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
JonV

Hi, I've been to a cruise 12years ago and it was on the Carnival Line. It was splendid and I would definitely go to another one again. Infact I'm going on one for my honeymoon. I would recomment the Royal Carribean and ship name 'Mariner Of The Seas' That is what I'm booking. I have many friends that been on the ship since September. It's both the biggest and most modern from the Royal Carribean Fleat. Have you been in their website. Should you need more info don't hesitate to ask. Thanks..
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
dan p

You can get the bonine on board the ship,free.When you get on board just go to the pursers desk and ask for it .Like I said it free ,they dont give out much free things lol.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
Denies

Default Re: Re: Southern Caribbean cruise

We did the southern caribbean 2 years ago on the Adv. of the Seas with my daughter, son and 2 of her friends. We enjoyed it so much we are going back again this year and are taking my parents with us. It is not the islands so much we enjoyed except for St. Thomas but the cruise ship. For us to take a vacation to the same place twice is saying something about the cruiseship. We do not normally go back to the same places twice.

We have cruised on all but the Carnival line and keep going back to RCI. The only exception is the Norweigian Sun and that is strictly for the food. The Adventures of the Sea is like not other cruise ship you will travel on. The other cruiser was right when they made the statement about the make up of the cruiseline passengers out of San Juan.

You will notice that most of the upper level cruise employees are American or English. There is no problem with a language barrier. The only complaint my daughter had was the teen club played mostly latin songs but if you requested other types of music they were very happy to play if for you.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Taylor's friend

We did this part of the Caribbean in November and first of December. Both times it was beautiful weather.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Mo~mo

Hi!

Flew to San Juan from NY and boy were my arms tired. Seriously left NY Valentine's Day last year with freezing weather here in NY arrived in San Juan sunny and 80 degree weather! Unfortunately I had gotten sick right before we left. Needless to say the warmth and sea air cleared me up in no time. We cruised on Carinval Jubilee intinerary was St. Thomas, St. John, St. Lucia, Dominica and the Dom. Rep. I wasn't thrilled with the food on Carnival got two pieces of plastic something. UGH and when we boarded the first day in San Juan thought there would be more going on. Not too disappointed. The Islands are great, weather was fabulous! What we saved going on Carnival afforded us to do a lot of excursions! Maegans bay in St. Thomas my favorite! The rain forest in St. Lucia even served a great lunch! HAD A BLAST!!! Cruising again in 22 days this time Royal Caribbean Adventure of the seas! WOO HOO!!!

Hope you make it!
Maureen
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Passenger

We sailed to the S. Caribbean in February 2003 and had a wonderful time on the Constellation (Celebrity). It is more of an adult based cruise as we also were celebrating our 25th Anniversary. Weather was beautiful and the ports were good. We stopped at St. Croix but they no longer visit that port. RCCL has a good cruise that will take you all the way through the S. Carribbean if you want to visit ports each day (Adv. of the Seas). Highly would recommend the southern and can't wait to get back down their again. I'm just waiting until the hurricane damage is cleaned up. Aruba and St. George got hit pretty hard this past fall.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Yeoman

Actually, cruise ships are returning to St. Croix. Many RCI ships are stopping there in the evening of their scheduled port-day in St. Thomas, for a few hours.

Old January 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Did Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas and had a great time. We really enjoy the Voyager class of ship and the posts were terrific.
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:35 AM
browezilla

Hi nolou525,

Depending on your tastes, either of these lines could be your favorite. For example, I have a friend that is very similar to me in age, physical attributes, vocation, etc.. My favorite line is RCCL followed by Carnival because I prefer a lot of activities and entertainment. His is Celebrity followed by Princess because he likes a more relaxed vacation with fine dining. So, my recommendation would be to read some of the professional reviews on this website and others to see how the cruise lines are different. When you get recommendations from folks on cruise lines/ships they liked, be sure to understand "why" they liked it. Their reason for liking it may have just the opposite reaction from you.

Good luck!
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Hi Browezilla--
Thanks for the information. Our problem is my husband is like your friend and I am more like you. His idea of vacation is to sit and do NOTHING. My idea is to do everything you can. I will definitely take your recommendations to heart to find a cruise that will make us both happy. (maybe we'll take separate cruises )
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

The good thing about a cruise is that you can both be happy. Your husband can sit and do nothing, while you can do everything! :-) My belief is that RCCL would be the best for the two of you. But like Browezilla said, that is my opinion and my reason for liking it may not be for you. Others have different opinions.
I belong to another cruise message board and there is one very helpful man on there whose wife is a travel agent and I'm sure he won't mind me passing on the following advice: (I'm quoting him, word for word.)
"Find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor. Ask around from your friends and co-workers for their recommendations, and look for the CLIA certificate. Tell her what you are interested in and let her make some suggestions. (If she only pushes one cruise line, run like the wind to another TA). Read through the brochures, go back to her with your questions, and be sure you are comfortable with the attention she pays to you and the way she answers your questions. It does not cost you anything, but she will get a nice commission from the cruise line when you book with her so she should give you a lot of service. That is the best way to learn about cruising from an expert!"

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Sis

Hmmmmmmmmm wonder what the commision is that they get?
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Travel agents get a commission from the cruise line....NOT from the customer. The customer pays the same price if they booked it thru the cruiseline or thru an agent. And believe me....the commission they do get isn't THAT big.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess