Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Theresa D

Default First timer- RCCL or Celebrity with an 11yo?

For spring break in March, we got the idea of trying a cruise for the first time with our 11 y.o. son. I am going nuts trying to figure out the best line to go on. We are interested in the Carribean and so far, I like RCCL and Celebrity I think they best fit our overall style. Because of what I've read on this board, I am drawn towards the service/ambiance of the Celebrity, I am not going to be comfortable with a crazy atmosphere 24/7, but am thinking that RCCL is better with my son in terms of activities and energy for kids to enjoy. He's pretty outgoing, but doesn't have anyone to hang out with. Would RCCL be better and help him meet a buddy, or should we just go with Celebrity and have him hang with us? We'd probably take him along to all the ports, but it might be nice to have SOME time alone if possible. I have no idea what to expect so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Theresa
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: First timer- RCCL or Celebrity with an 11yo?

Hi Theresa,
I don't think you can go wrong cruising on any of Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships. Your 12 year old son will absolutely love it, lots more kids activities, shows etc. They have the rock climbing wall, inline skating, ice skating, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Passenger

teresa, do royal caribean. the ocean adventurer club for kids of all ages is unbelievable. they have great activities for the kids and your son will like it so much because he will make many friends and have the time of his life. give it a try! bob
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:58 PM
pcboston

Default Re: Re: First timer- RCCL or Celebrity with an 11yo?

Hi Teresa,

Never been on Celebrity but have gone on two RCCL Voyager class ships, Explorer with a grandson in 2002 and Adventure with his mother 2004. I highly recommend any of this class ship for you. They are awesome and there is so much to do on them. Also, they are huge, so if you haven't cruised before, you don't feel much motion just in case. I have motion sickness, but was never ill on these ships. I think you will love it. I believe there are 5 ships in this class. Happy Cruising!
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Gail Ploch

We sailed with Celebrity (Constellation) and it was a marvelous cruise, however, not many kids around. It is tailored more to the parents without kids cruise. A lot of elegance and pampering. However, they did have a kids programs, but most of the kids I saw were under 8 years old (almost like a day care). I would recommend RCCL for family cruising and save the Celebrity cruise for when you and your husband can get away. We did it for our our 25th anniversary and will cruise with RCCL in March with our son and daughterinlaw to enjoy a family experience on the Explorer of the Sea.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

RCCL is better for kids than Celebrity. Celebrity caters to a somewhat older crowd.
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:38 PM
kel

I CRUISED ON CELEBRITY HORIZON IN JUNE 2003. IT WAS JUST MY 10 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND MYSELF. SHE HAD MORE TO DO THAN I DID. SHE WAS INVOLVED IN ALL THE ACTIVITIES FOR HER AGE GROUP. THEY PUT A FLYER UNDER THE DOOR EVERY NIGHT WITH THE NEXT DAYS EVENTS . I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND CELEBRITY. I AM SAILING ROYAL CAR. IN FEB. GOOD LUCK WHICH EVER YOU DECIDE.
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: First timer- RCCL or Celebrity with an 11yo?

Can someone elaborate on the activities some more. I'm taking my 11 y/o daughter with us this time. Are the activities all indoors? What's the staff ratio? I really am nervous about leaving her somewhere on the ship, especially if they go out on deck. Thanks in advance.

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada