Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Default Topless sunbathing on Navigator

Will be on the 7/30 sailing of the Navigator and was just wondering if there is topless sunbathing on one of the top decks?

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Topless sunbathing on Navigator

No topless decks on RCCL.
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Sis

thanks god.........and glad I won't be on that cruise.....thought it was a family cruise........
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: Topless sunbathing on Navigator

If I ever see topless bathing on a Royal Caribbean cruise, it will be my last cruise with them. Would you believe on a Disney Cruise on their private island, there was a lady sitting on the beach in front of all the kids and family with no top on? I couldn't believe it.
Couldn't figure out why my husband wasn't listening to a word I was saying.
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Hi:
My dh and I have been on 32 cruises, with about 5 different cruise lines, and the only place we've seen this on a ship has been on Carnival and they have a place on one of the top decks for this, and they have a sign posted ahead of time, so you won't be surprised. I've been on a lot of RCCL cruises and I've never seen this on any of their ships; but I've also learned not to be surprised by anything. I've seen all sorts of things, believe me.

We've been to Orient Beach in St. Maarten about four or five times and that's a clothing optional beach; but you know about it before you go. We were there last month and you see families there, and you also see people walking up and down the beach with and without bathing suits on.

Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:05 PM
hcat

They have it on Celeb.. On our trip it was a bunch of out of shape post menopausal ladies so it was not a big deal--just that they placed it next to the kiddie pool--I think it has since moved to another spot.
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Dixie Lee

Is it that important that it has to be done on a cruise ship where there are couples and families? Why not get off the ship and find a spot on the beach and fry them b-----bies to your little hearts' content? I think it goes without saying that when you cruise on a ship with hundreds of other people in a fairly closed environment that courtesy to and consideration for your fellow passengers should be paramount? That is part of the problem these days - people don't care about others. It is thought that we should be able to do whatever, whenever we want without the least bit of concern for how it affects others. Yes, I know that there may be a separate deck with a sign warning passengers that there will be topless sunbathing - but on a ship in a confined environment - is it really necessary?
Dixie Lee
Whew - had to get that off my chest!
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Keep your shirt on please, it's a family ship.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

AND THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME TYPE OF POLICING TOO ON A FAMILY SHIP OR A SIGN THAT SAYS TO KEEPS YOUR CLOTHES ON!! AS ANOTHER POSTER SAYS, HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION FOR OTHER PEOPLE!!
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Passenger

A cruise ship is not the place to sunbathe nude. You should rent or lease your own ship to do this, or find a cruise line where everyone wants to do the same ..........expose themselves.
The Navagator is a very beautiful family ship!
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Denies

last year we went on the Brilliance to Europe. I told my daughter that in Europe they allow you to sunbathe topless on the top deck. She told me she would make sure she did not get anywhere near the top deck. She was on the lounge chair next to the pool when a shadow went across her face. Oh, my daughter is 17. She opened her eyes and there in front of her was a woman in her 70's taking her top off to sunbathe. My daughter shreeked, jumped up out of her chair and took off. The pool attendant later saw us and told my daughter he did not know who was frightened more her or the older woman.

My daughter said no one should have to open their eyes and see that 2 feet from their face. She swears she is going to have to go into therapy.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Topless sunbathing on Navigator

70's? I hope she burned her "niddy's" off!!! Shame on her!!
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Default Topless sunbathing on Navigator

Some interesting responses. I guess these are people who never traveled to FAMILY resorts in the caribbean where topless woman are sunning themselves by the side of the pool and children are playing and swimming next to them. Granted for the most part these are European woman, but no one seems to have a problems with this. There are no separate pools and no one asks them to cover up. You can always tell the American men because they are the ones tripping over things because they can't take their eyes off the women. Just goes to show you the European's know how to live and why they make fun of the American's by calling them prudes.
Old January 15th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Cruiseman500

What do you think will happen to your kids if they see a womens naked breast???

Just curious.......
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:28 PM
hcat

Here we go again- There was a similar thread onCeleb board awhile ago. So far I'd say the Royal group is more aligned against while the other board had mixed views--I am in the don't do it column if anyone else can see...
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Royal Caribbean allows topless sunbathing on its European cruises but not on its North American cruises. "Know thy customer."
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Tommycruiser

Everyone has a right to do as they please as long as the ship allows it. Seems to be a lot of closed minded people in this world.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
jphc318

it is not closed mindness.in the u.s, it is deemed inappropriate to expose ones self and if there are children present i am completely against it.if you had children would you like a semi nude woman around them?alot to explain!think about it froma parents point of view....maybe we are not the closed minded people!
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:13 PM
nj9876

"it is not closed mindness.in the u.s, it is deemed inappropriate to expose ones self and if there are children present i am completely against it.if you had children would you like a semi nude woman around them?alot to explain!think about it froma parents point of view....maybe we are not the closed minded people!"

You are correct, but cruise ships sail in "international" waters....not in US waters. US citizens are generally egocentric, believing that what the US norm has deemed proper and moral is the only correct course of action. But when you get a ship in "international" waters with "international" citizens of varying beliefs and opinions, rarely will you see a US citizen bend to allow a practice that don't feel is the norm, thus, closed mindedness by the US citizen forgetting that they aren't in the US anymore....

Personally, nude or topless sunbathing is not my cup of tea, and I wouldn't partake; however, I am not egocentric enough to believe that my views are the only correct views, so whether Disney, Royal Carriben, or any other line, I'd have no objection to them offering a deck for nude sun bathing. At that point, I'd expect the cruise line to have staff on board to make sure access isn't granted to curious pre teen children without parental consent. And of course, should the cruise line ban topless sunbathing, I'd expect those on board to adhere to the rules. But without a policy, on international waters, my say should be limited....
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:05 PM
jphc318

i dont believe my views should be everyones i dont care what people believe in i dont want the nudes in front of my kids!
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Yeoman

I have been on cruises where it was allowed on the highest deck. NOT in fornt of your kids! Get over yourselves people. No one was forced to go up there and no, I never did either. IMHO there was way to much being made of this thread, Robbie
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:57 PM
jphc318

I THOUGHT WE WERE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS OURSELVES ON THIS BOARD I GUESS SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE WE SHOULDNT .IT WAS JUST A SPIRITED CONVERSATION NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO READ THEM.
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I AGREE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE "THREAD", DON'T READ IT. WE ARE ALL ALLOWED TO HAVE SOME SPIRITED FUN AND EXPRESS OURSELVES. THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR!!
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
jphc318

THANK YOU SANDY
JOHN
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Passenger

I have been overseas where in my younger days I was one of those nude sunbathers. I just feel that on family ships you should refrain. I am not prude and try to never be judgemental just think you should be respectful in all situations.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Yeoman

So much for the "IMHO" (in my humble opinion). You have proven my point very well though so please try the decaf! The capital letters and "DON'T READ THE THREAD" just show you want the right to your opinion and not mine. If you would actually read the thread, you would see that some were acting like the topless activity would be happening in the public pool(s) which is certainly NOT the case. Contrary to your closed minded thinking, I do have the right to clarify this for them.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

KRaspa as quoted: "Just goes to show you the European's know how to live and why they make fun of the American's by calling them prudes."

You sound like an idiot.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Denies

I agree totally Lenora.

Also KRaspa, I have traveled to family resorts in Mexico. Actually, I have traveled all over the world on our vacations, that is why I specifically ask about topless sunbathing. Not because I am a prude but because my daughter feels uncomfortable around it. That is the reason she did not go up to the top deck of the ship.

We accept that some people like sunbathing topless that does not mean we have to sit in the chair right next to them. That can also be said for smoking. You have to right to do it just don't blow it in my face in the non-smoking section.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Teresa S

I agree that if you don't want to see the nude human body, you shouldn't have to see it. I really don't think your child is going to be scarred from seeing a breast, be it 20-years-old or 70-years-old. After all, didn't they feed from one for at least a few months?

Reality is, the rest of the world doesn't have the hang up *most* Americans do regarding nudity. Naked does not equal Sex, and Naked does not equal Dirty. But what do you expect from a country founded by Puritans? (I am American, BTW, born and bred in the Midwest)
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree with Teresa S - I would not be comfortable, but much of the rest of the world is comfortable with it. Americans, belive it or not, DO have a hang up with the naked body - we all have one. Personally, I would not be comfortable showing mine, but that is the way I was raised - but others are raised that it is perfectly acceptable to sunbathe topless or nude.

BTW - the title of this thread is sunbathing TOPLESS, not nude. A bit of a difference there. And if your child has not seen a booby at any time in their life, well, that is sorrier for them. After all, did many of you not feed said child with that bare breast?