Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Beginner

Default Dunn's River Falls from Beach?

Is there any way to walk to where Dunn's River Falls empties into the ocean from the port where the ship docks? If so, how far is it?

If not, is there any other way to get there from the ocean besides taking a $50 per person boat shore excursion?

Close up maps of this section of shoreline....well I searched for a while and I couldn't find any.

And, if none of the above, is there a reputable taxi company that will transport 5 people, like a minivan? -2 adults, 1 big teen, 1 little teen, and a big 10 year old

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Dunn's River Falls from Beach?

We took the tour to Dunns River Falls, it was great. We didn't do the falls but opted for the beach, a friend did the walk up the falls. He loved it. We went swimming and the water was like a bath. It was wonderful!!! There should be cabs or vans to take you to Dunns River and also tours. When you get off the ship they will be waiting for your fare. Just remember to set a price before you go and if they will do a return trip too. Usually there are cabs there to take you back, but always get a price set. Have fun, we did.

Old January 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Ramonab

We went to Ocho Rios 3 years ago and took a short boat ride over. It was very reasonable and lots of fun. I would highly suggest it. There are cabs that can take you there. It is quite a walk however. We stayed at the Reannaisne Grande.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
cricket55

Default Re: Re: Dunn's River Falls from Beach?

Since you have to pay for entrance to Dunns River Falls and a taxi anyway, I would pay the small difference and go for the ship's excursion, for safety sake. The locals in Jamaica can be very aggressive and after you for money . Myself and many people I know that have been there, find this very intimidating and uncomfortable. Friends of ours were en route somewhere in Jamaica and the van they were in was swarmed by locals who jumped on the roof and were reaching in the open windows at them and yelling and demanding money. They were absolutely terrified and no longer even get off the ship in Jamaica. I'm not trying to "Jamaica-bash" here, there are indeed many lovely, friendly people in this beautiful country, but unfortunately an unpleasant few ruin their otherwise good reputation. Typically in most ports, I do not waste money on ship excursions and prefer to go places myself by taxi to save the money, but at this port I believe it is worth the extra money to be with cruiseline approved tour operators. We went on a tour that took you to Dunns River Falls by boat, so you could enter the falls at the beach level and avoid the throng of locals and vendors at the top entrance to the falls that are very aggressive. The falls guide was very friendly, as were the staff on the boat, and they guarded our personal belongings for us while we climbed the falls. After the falls, they took us by boat to a private beach nearby, where we could swim and sunbathe without harrassment that typically happens on public beaches. . In my opinion, well worth the minimal extra cost. And we did thoroughly enjoy climbing Dunns River Falls by the way, a not to miss experience.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for your advice and information.

cricket 55, could you give me the specific name of the boat tour you took and the price? Was it a Royal Caribbean tour? There are so many shore excursions listed in the info and it gets a little confusing. Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you decide to take a taxi. Make sure it is marked JUTA. Those are licensed by the government and have to follow certain guidelines. I would also recommend you take an organized tour. We have booked one on our own and feel completely comfortable going with this gentleman.

I have included his info below. He will give you an island tour or whatever you want to do as well as Dunns River Falls for $30. He has an air conditioned van or bus (depending on how many people). He has come highly recommended.

PEAT TAYLOR
BONHAM SPRING LODGE P.O. ST.ANN
JAMAICA W. I.
TEL: 876 975 0028
FAX: 876 975 0205
EMAIL: oneiltay@cwjamaica.com or onieltay@hotmail.com
“HEY MON NO PROBLEM”
(Website) www.peattaylor.com

We will be there on Jan 24 with Peat. Good luck.
Old January 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
cricket55

Default Re: Re: Dunn's River Falls from Beach?

Hi. It was a Royal Caribbean tour and I believe it may have been called something like:

Dunns River Falls and Beach by boat

I think it may have been around $40 or $50 per person.

You won't be sorry if you take this tour, it really was worth the money to avoid the aggravation. Good luck