Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
fiona

Default Windjammer restaurant

Was wondering what folks thought of the windjammer's food. Is it buffet for all three meals, or just breakfast and lunch? If we chose to go there for dinner rather than the dining room, is it more casual? Like the idea of eating dinner whenever the mood hits us rather than an assigned dinner time, so may go to Windjammer for dinners. Thanks, Fiona
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick
Default Re: Windjammer restaurant

I've never had dinner in the Windjammer; only breakfast and lunch. I've heard that it's more casual though.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
WDR

THE windjammer is buffet style for dinner even has prime rib some nights has a pasta bar sushi bar and its very casual , we eat there and chops or sea view cafe.
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM
dan p

The food is almost the same as the dining room.The difference is you go when you want and wear what you want.
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
saabgal

Everybody is correct. Nobody mentions the guilt though. Our waiter missed us if we were not there for dinner. He took such good care of us. We made sure to let him know what night we were going to Portofinos, we didn't want him to feel like we "stood him up". Every night he would get the Compass for the next day and read the next day's activities to us after dinner.
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Wes&Bet

I personally found it more relaxing than the dining room. My DH went to the dining room and I dined in solitary splendor. (For one evening!)
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Since we prefer main dining time, if we are late returning to the ship from a port or just want a more casual dinner, we eat in Windjammer. Food is just as good and sometimes has choices that aren't in the dining room. It is certainly more casual and people are more relaxed.
I agree with letting the waiter know ahead if possible. They do try to take such good care of us, we feel quilty if we don't tell them. Just as an aside, even if we don't eat in the dining room, we do tip for all nights.
Norma
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Fiona:

We've been on 8 cruises since 1983 and have always had dinner in the diningroom. I understand your wanting to be more casual or not "assigned" to a time.

My hubby and I like entering the diningroom and not having to wait in any line but head right to our table where your waiter and asst. waiter are happy to see you and please you for the next 90 minutes. On the Grandeur of the Seas, our waiter was superb -- by the 2nd evening he had our iced tea, son's chocolate milk and daughter's white milk waiting for us (as well as the beverage of choice for the other 4 at our table). I like not having to search for a table -- I enjoy knowning that that table is ours for 7 nights at that time!

Also, one tip we got from these message boards several years ago is ALWAYS GO WITH THE WAITER'S SUGGESTION. When we ordered something different on the Grandeur, our waiter would still bring us what he thought was the best appetizer/main course/dessert for us to try and he was always right!!! They know the food because they've been on the ship for months and have tasted it all, I'm sure.

Very often we will have breakfast and/or lunch in the Windjammer. Our favorite thing about the Windjammer is the Omelette station. Yum!!!!!

Enjoy!

Old January 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Sis

Oh please, you have to do dinning room....or at least alternative pay restaurant...dinning room is the experience. I would not go to Windjammer for dinner...just would not. Sick of it after all the breakfast and lunches. We had reservations one night for Portifinos and I did not even think of or know that I should or still don't know if I should have told my waiter the night before that we were going. Well the next night, they asked where were we and were we upset or something. I felt so embrassed. So now my question to all is, if we decide to go to specialty rest. should I let them know? Also, one night my son was not feeling well, so we could not make dinner. Should I have told them. and if so how? Would I have had to walk down to dining room and tell them......I don't feel like I had the time to do that.
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Yeoman

We did go to the dining room all three nights of our recent cruise, but if we were to do it again, at least in that case, we would have gone to the Windjammer all three nights. The dining room was nice, and the service was fine, but it was rather loud, crowded, and a little hokey, AAMOF. And it didn't have any fresh fruit for dessert -- we had to go to the Windjammer for that. Strange.

Anyway, what we found there was remarkable: Quiet, calm -- basically romantic -- white tablecloths on the tables, choose whichever table you wish since 90% of the tables were empty. Tables by the windows, with views, as long as the light held out. Seemed like a pretty good arrangement, from where I was sitting.

We didn't have great luck in the dining room with table-mates: One couple was a bit self-absorbed, surprised that they missed two courses by arriving 25 minutes late. Then, they were unhappy about how crowded the table was, so they relocated to a table that was missing four people, so they could stretch out a bit more I guess. The husband of other other couple was rather difficult to sit with, continually asking inappropriate questions of others on the table and of the staff. So having a nice table to ourselves was a rather attractive thought -- wish we knew beforehand.

And the food at the Windjammer seemed to be pretty-much identical as that offered to us in the dining room, and of course we'd be able to dish-out just how much of it we actually wanted, and we could change our mind and get something different in just a minute or two instead of waiting for the server to come by, take our reorder, track down the alternative, etc.

So please don't underestimate the Windjammer as a choice as an alternative to the main dining room. There is a lot to the Windjammer's credit, and a lot of down-sides to the main dining room.

Old January 15th, 2005, 10:43 PM
First Mate

The dinning room is ok, but I like getting away to a specialty resturant or the casual dinning venu every now and again. Especially on longer cruises. It's nice to have a break from tablemates every once in a while.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM
fiona

Default Re: Re: Windjammer restaurant

Thanks for the info. You''ve helped us decide that we are definitely eating dinner at the windjammer, and , will probably eat all our meals there. We're looking for some time to ourselves on this cruise, and not that we want to be antisocial, but a table with a lot of people just won't give us that intimacy we'd like. Also, I have a bad back and to be honest with you, the thought of it taking 1 1/2 hours for a meal is just too much, even if I could get up and move about. Like the convenience of eating when we want and not have to follow rigid meal times. Thanks again, Fiona.
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
The Hills

Default Re: Re: Re: Windjammer restaurant

Fiona:

Sounds like you made a decision you will like. You may want to let the diningroom staff know that you won't be coming so they can free up that table for someone looking for an early or late seating.

The Hills