Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Passenger

Default Ocean Motion

I hate to be naive, but I have to ask the experienced cruisers for help here. We just returned from our first cruise - Majesty from Miami to Nassau, Coco Cay and then Key West. Sailing was calm until we went through the Strait of Florida - between Cuba and FL. The rocking seemed pretty severe to me. I was up most of the night and very uncomfortable. We were on the port side, 10th deck. The next day I asked the cabin attendant and he told me that it was nothing severe, but that whenever it was very windy (30 knots), the ship rocks. He was very kind and told me that he didn't sleep either, but watched t.v. So, my question - is it typical to experience such rocking? Any tips for dealing with it in the future?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Ocean Motion

All ships pitch and roll. The severity or degree depends upon the weather and sea conditions at the time.

We were once in a severe thunderstorm on Mercury traveling from Nassau to Ft. Lauderdale where the ship wound up listing 30 degrees to port at the hight o the storm, that was fairly severe.

Most of the time I find that the motion of the ship is not very noticible. Anyway, there's not much you can do about it. If it bothers you, remember that generally speaking, the closer to the middle of the ship the more stable the ride. The further you are either fore or aft of midships the greater the pitch, up & down motion of the ship. The higher up you are on the ship the more noticible the roll, side to side motion. Anyway, it's all part of the ocean experience.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Yeoman

Weve done Western Carib 2 times and recently Eastern. The last trip (Eastern) was much rougher than Western. We enjoyed watching the ship slam into huge waves and spray going everywhere. On every cruise Ive been on (at least 15), weve encountered some rough seas at some point. On one trip in the North Sea, the ship my parents were on came crashing down into a wave. They said the ship shuddered, and that the crew had some water coming in the first floor (it was small ship 100 passengers or so). The next morning, my dad went up on deck and the bow of the ship had been bent up and to the side. They limped into port and the cruise portion was over at that point. He blames the captain as he later found out that ships were told not to head out into the North Sea that night since it was going to be bad. I acutally like the motion of the ocean. Its fun to watch people walk down the halls like they were drunk, but everyone does it together. When I really feel it is when the cruise is over and Im back on land. Taking a shower, standing, or sleeping I actually sway (or feel like I am) side to side. It was worse for me this last trip though and took me longer to recover since Im pregnant.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: Ocean Motion

THAT'S WHY I TAKE MY EAR PATCHES AND WEAR A SEABAND AND EAT GINGER COOKIES!!! MY HUSBAND ALWAYS GETS ON A PLANE AND SAYS, "WHAT TURBULENCE" AND ON A BOAT, "WHAT SWAYING". HE MAKES ME SOOOO MAD. I'M IN BED SEA SICK AND IN HE COMES SAYING, "BOY, WAS THAT ROAST BEEF AND POTATOES GOOD WITH ALL THAT GRAVY ON IT".
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Jamiegunter

Yes our last cruise the seas were ruff and high winds. We were on the eastern carribbean. Some of the crew told us it was normal and that it was always like that first part of the cruise, Atlantic Ocean is ruff sometimes. We have done two easterns and both ruff. Two westerns and seas were a little bit the one time. Its normal, but the higher up on the ship you go the more you will feel it. We leave in two weeks for a cruise and we got a room on the bottom deck this time.
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ocean Motion

Thanks for the insight - I do appreciate knowing that not only is it normal, it could have been a lot worse!
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Jamiegunter

We had 8 foot waves in the pools our first day at sea. We got into our first port late because of the high winds and ruff seas. It happens, our tours all got cancelled.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Just got off our second cruise and the waves were rough the whole time. I always felt a lot of motion on the entire trip. First cruise I felt nothing...the ship didn't even seem to move at all. This time I took Bonine pills and had no trouble with seasickness, so all that motion didn't really affect anything. I would still rather have calm seas, but you can't always have it that way.
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

If you don't want to fell the motion of the ocean, stay in a hotel.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Zoom & Sparky

I hear the Med in the summer isn't that bad. Is that true?