Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Bob Hiltsley

Default Back from the Jewel 1/9/05-Some Comments

(I intended this to be short, but somehow it grew.)

I was on the 1/9/05 Jewel of the Seas 6 night cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, stopping at Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman (and one day at sea). Iím not going to write a day-by-day review, just some comments and observations.

I loved the beauty of the ship. Just gorgeous. Lots of glass and chrome. The Centrum is stunning. So different looking from daytime to night time.

I thought the food in the Tides Dining Room (where we ate every night) was fair. Not great, just fair . . . and Iím not a particularly fussy person when it comes to eating. Our wait persons (Laarni and Michael) were just great. Very accommodating and friendly. I was disappointed that (unlike Holland America) there are no more flaming desserts prepared in front of you anywhere on the ship. HAL stopped doing them in the dining room as has RC, but HAL still does them in a separate lounge following dinner for all who want them. Also, HAL still has the Parade of Baked Alaska. Jewel did not, or even offer it on its menu. I know itís corny, but it is tradition. RC did have the wait/kitchen staff gather on the stairs two different nights and sing a song which was fun though.

I had originally requested late dining, table for 2. The late dining was confirmed when I got my cruise docs. However, when we went to the maitreíd at the entranceway to the Tides D.R. as soon as we boarded, I was told that we could NOT get a table for 2 at the LATE seating, but if we wanted to switch to early seating (6:00-6:45 sit down) we could. We agreed to switch to get that table for two, and it was a nice one on the main floor (deck 4) right next to one of the large porthole windows where we could watch the ocean go by. Glad we did that in the long run since I deal with a great many people during my normal business day and on vacation I would just as soon eat with just my traveling companion.

Re bringing sodas on board, we had absolutely no problem. I bought a rolling cooler from Wal-Mart for $20 before leaving for the cruise, put some sodas in it (as well as some snack size munchies) and rolled that sucker right on there. As someone here posted earlier, security belt that you put your carry-onís through are NOT RC personnel run, but hired by the Port and they are not looking for soda, etc., only harmful items. I really donít think RCCL cares one way or the other was the impression I got about sodas/water. The only time I saw a sign posted about bringing liquor back on board after being at one of the port stops was posted at the entranceway at the gangway.

We got to Port Everglades at 1:15 p.m., took us all of maybe 15 minutes tops to get on the ship. Plenty of people rolling regular carry on suitcases with them so ours didnít stand out at all, if youíre worried about that, but itís really no problem.

I was glad we did bring sodas since I like to have one in the cabin and itís easier than ordering room service and, no, itís not because I donít want to spend the money. My traveling companion and I both bought the soda card, which were $41.40 per person total, including the gratuity that they tack on. Although you never ďneedĒ to add anything else when ordering a soda (which I didnít do at the stand in the Windjammer buffet), I did throw in a dollar in cash when I ordered from a waiter in the theater or at the Seaview Cafť. I know it means a lot to them and a buck here or there isnít going to kill me.

We had the ďfamedĒ 9256 cabin and yes, the aft corner balcony is wonderful! Had two loungers, two chairs, and small table. Now, I must tell you that upon the suggestion of another poster here on this board, before I left for this cruise I ordered over the Internet a thing called a ROLL-A-TABLE, and boy was I glad I did. Itís basically a camping table (about the size of a card table) that completely rolls up to a small carry-on and sets up in about 2 minutes. We set it up the first day on the ship, put it out on the balcony and ordered room service for breakfast every day and ate on it. Let it sit out there all week. It never got in the way. Was just terrific. Even without having the larger size balcony of this corner aft cabin, I can see that this table would fit on the regular size balcony too. Trust me, if you enjoy having meals out on your verandah, then order yourself one of these. The cost was around $40, but I think it was worth every penny as I will use it on all future cruises as well.

Speaking of room service, we ordered breakfast every day and it was there hot and on time every day. Plus, they give you a call on the phone about 5 minutes before they are delivering so you have time to pull yourself together in case you are still sleeping. That was a nice touch.

The cabin attendant Virginia was very nice, made the towel animals, and overall did a very good job. When we boarded she asked if we had any special requests (which we did, being I wanted to get two robes). Also, told her I had brought some of my own sodas and could she keep us in ice. Gave her $20 up front when I made these requests. The first night Ė no robes, no extra ice. The next day there the robes were when we came back to the cabin at one point, along with extra ice. Some days she would remember the EXTRA ice, some days not, but that was okay. She always filled the regular ice bucket each time she was in the room. I put some of my sodas in the refrigerator and just pushed ďtheirsĒ back. No problem. Had read they can empty it, but didnít bother with that.

A comment about some of the shipís furniture. The beige metal chairs used in the outside portion of the Windjammer at the very back of the ship are designed wrong, as are the loungers in the Solarium (which is beautiful by the way). The chairs in the back of Winderjammer hit your back too high and the arms are just slightly too high as well. The loungers in the Solarium are hard (not as comfortable as they look) and somehow donít hit you right when youíre lying on them. Iím 6í3Ē and my friend is 5í10Ē and both of us thought this about the furniture.

Also, one of the two styles of loungers around the ship are not quite right. We had one of each on our balcony. The most predominant one around the shipís pools and decks have this high curved arch for each arm rest, which are basically useless since they are really too high to rest your arms on. Strange. I canít imagine what the designer of this furniture was thinking when they were designed.

I went to most of the shows. Again, fair. I thought one of the best shows I ever saw at sea was back in 2000 on the Sea Princess. The singers and dancers here give it their all, but there really were no ďknock-outĒ voices or ďoutstandingĒ personalities. I kept thinking so this is where Miss Runner-Runner up goes from Miss America pageant. You gotta give it to them, they work really hard and do their best. Saw them one night when they were off stage up in the gym doing a dance rehearsal at 11:00 p.m.! The costumes Ė the usual glitzy stuff.

Oh! I did end up booking on Tuesday on the ship for Thursday for the Grand Cayman Swim for $45. I debated doing it spontaneously at the pier, but wasnít up to running from place to place or not knowing who Iíd be going with. It turned out just great. The guys on the Tortuga boat (sponsored by RCCL) were wonderful and made sure everyone got a chance to hold and kiss a stingray, if they wanted. Iíd say there were about 50 on our double-decker boat. Yes, it had a bathroom if you needed it. At the sandbar, there must have been at least 15 boats gathered in a loose circle, but everyone had plenty of room and was lots of fun splashing around and feeding the rays. Yes, they provided squid to give them as well. Tipped one of the boat guys $5 for the two of us upon getting off.

Well, I could prattle on but just wanted to put some thoughts to paper. If anyone has any question, please ask and Iíll see if I can answer.

Oh, with regard to dress for dinner. There was one formal, one smart casual and the rest casual. Formal I wore my black suit. I think I saw about 2 men in tuxes at the early seating. That was about it. Smart casual in the daily Compass guide was Wednesday so I wore nice khakis, white shirt and tie, no jacket. Well, boy was I over dressed. Almost all men were in casual. Now, here is whatís strange. On Thursday, which was listed as Casual in the Compass (and what we wore), many men AND women were dressed Formal. I didnít get it. I know on 7 night cruises usually the Thursday night is one of the two Formal nights, but here it specifically listed one of each, so I didnít get what was happening. I just assumed they didnít check their Compass for the day. No problem, just strange. Better over dressed than under, I guess. I did actually see one old man in his 70s dressed in shorts on night at dinner and another night a Brazilian woman had on skin tight jeans. Whatever, just too bad people canít at least TRY to comply with the suggested dress code.

All in all, it was a great week. Cabin 9256 verandah is great. Sold on aft cabins now, especially corner ones. Left the door propped open almost all week and the noise from the wake was like sleeping to a white noise machine. Wonderful!

Well, any questions or comments, fire away.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Lisajay

Default Re: Back from the Jewel 1/9/05-Some Comments

Hi
thanks for the review.
Was wondering if the Jewel has started to use the new menus that I have been hearing about.
And also the weather seems to be colder then usual everywhere.We are heading out on Sunday and wondered what the weather was like for you.
Thanks

Lisa
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bob,
Loved hearing all about your Jewel cruise, just 10 days or so for us before we board her.. I had one of those corner aft cabins on Voyager, it was great and a regular aft cabin on Radiance. We also have an aft cabin on Jewel, so really looking forward to this cruise. Did you by chance eat at Chops at all? We're planning on trying that out this time onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Back from the Jewel 1/9/05-Some Comments

Donna:

We ate at Chops while on our Jewel transatlantic cruise in September. It was great. Much slower pace of dining. Food and service were both outstanding. Presentation was very good. I did, however, think the wines were overpriced.

Old January 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Yeoman

Glad you enjoyed 9256! We were in that room last May and the only negative was the crew kept slamming the "crew only" door next to it. Next three cruises all booked aft too. Getting tougher to get them since we are all honest about what a pleasure they can be, Robbie
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello,
How was disembarkation? What time did you get off the ship? i wanted to book a flight Going home leaving at 11.30 am and was wondering if it was too early? Last year, It was chaotic leaving Enchantment of seas, and it took a long time getting off the ship, it was crazy. Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Back from the Jewel 1/9/05-Some Comments

Thanks Pootersdad,
I'm looking forward to a good filet at Chops.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM
hcat

NIce review. Thank you for taking the time to do it. What is on the room service menu for breakfast. ? We have NEVER tried it but decided we will do so in March on Brilliance--I assume the menus will be similar. Also looking forward to Chops & Portofino & seeing the beauty of this ship design firsthand!
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Bob Hiltsley

Default A few answers

The weather the week we went to the West. Carib. basically good, all except for the last full sea day (Friday), which was overcast all day. The rest of the time it was sunny and about 80 or so.

Never did eat in Chops or Portofino. Last cruise on HAL on Zuiderdam we did the alternate dining room for the fee and after reading so many raves about it, it turned out to be fair. Actually I thought it was no better than the food in the dining room, which was good, so why bother paying the extra money.

Regarding disembarkation, we were in the "white" group, first off the ship (since we live in Lauderdale, I guess). They had 10 different color groups meeting at various times in various public rooms. Ours was the Schooner Lounger at 8 a.m. They were fairly prompt at evacuating people shortly after 8. Was a little chaotic getting the luggage once off since people were rushing here and there checking bags, but I found our 3 (all together) within 10 minutes. Not bad. Got the car out of the garage across the street and was home by 10:00 a.m.

The seas were not that rough, although we did hit a patch of late night rain once or twice so I put on my sea bands and all was well.

The roll-a-table I got from www.mountainsports.com but if you do a search for the table name you'll find many companies selling it.