Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Kings

Default Re: Stomach illness on Mariner

I just wanted to clarify, we understand the odds of getting sick are great everywhere - after all I have two children in elementary school so it's a part of life. We also understood the need for the quarantine and respected and followed it. Our complaint was the lack of information and misinformation given by the staff, and the extremely rude behavior by customer service. This situation was extreme and shouldn't deter anyone from taking a cruise. As far as going to the doctor I guess I'd say who knows. My husband went and was told to stay in the cabin, my son went and was left off the list. Was this an error, given the number of people who had similar reports that I spoke to, I won't venture to guess. Again, if the situation was handled well I would have been satisfied with the compensation, but the treatment was awful, which essentially ruined the entire vacation. To be honest, I've been less stressed at work than I was on this cruise! I just think they had a bad situation that was handled poorly, and now they havent' taken the steps to correct it. Sorry to sound like such a whiner, just want other cruisers to be forewarned.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:31 PM
newmexicoNita

i think I am missing something here: some of you did get some compensation, no one knows who or what caused the outbreak, but most likely someone unbeknown to them brought the virus onto the ship: this has been an issue for about 3 years now I think. I don't know what more the line can do to satisfy the passengers who get sick or what more they can do to try and protect the cruisers. As has been said, thousands of people get off and on these ships every week, the quarters are close, and like an airplane you probably stand a slightly better chance of getting sick on a ship than at t resort, but it can happen anywhere. On NCL last November, in the buffet there was always the sanitation machines and they were available just outside the main dining rooms; the crew working the buffet wore gloves, handed us our plates, trays and plastic utinsils; If any of us had become ill I would not have blamed them for one second. Kings, I think we all understand your frustrations and concerns, but this is part of life and not the most pleasant part. As for your son not being on the quarantee list, no one will ever know what happened. Obviously it was a slip up on someones part. I am also sorry to hear about the customer service reps. Again, this is not just with RCI, but most lines. For whatever reason, probably pay, it seems today's CS agents really don't care much about Customer Service. maybe we should re-name them, lack of service agents. . NMNita
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Sis

Default Re: Re: Re: Stomach illness on Mariner

Read somewhere on this post that they hope this is over before it spreads to other ships. Why would it spread to another ship. If th infected people weren't on other ships wouldn't it just be the ships that they were on? Now is it TWO or ONE ships that have this out break.. Enchantment or Mariner or both? Is it common for it to be on more then one ship? When every disembarks....seems to me there isn't much time to do heavy cleaning before the next ship loads embarks. Kinda like out with the old and in with the new. Do they change BEDSPREADS......I doubt they laundry the blankets and bedspreads. How would they ever have the enough time to do it. I guess it's just the sheets that they change.
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stomach illness on Mariner

I worked in a four-star hotel that only laundered the bedspreads and blankets on an as-needed basis.. make sure the sheet is the only thing actually touching you. You're right, there is no way that there's enough time to do any hardy cleaning when one group is coming onboard as the last is leaving.
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Passenger

From emedicine:
..."The virus is transmitted through contaminated food, water, or infected contacts".....
..."In the US: The Norwalk virus is estimated to cause approximately 40% of cases of nonbacterial gastroenteritis. Norwalk virus is the leading cause of viral gastroenteritis in the United States. "
..."January 1, 2002, to December 2, 2002: Norovirus was attributed to 9 of the 21 outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis on cruise ships reported to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Vessel Sanitation Program in this time period. Noroviruses cause approximately 23 million cases of acute gastroenteritis each year and are the leading cause of outbreaks of gastroenteritis."

If you wish to read the CDC's report, it can be found here:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5149a2.htm

Per the above CDC report, 5 different outbreaks were investigated. In 4 cases no source point was found, in 1 case the source point was believed to be the embarkation lunch.
In this last case the "CDC recommended reinforcing sanitation practices and excluding ill foodhandlers from the work place. Cruise ship C continued service, and no new cases were reported on subsequent cruises."

So what can we do? Yes, handwashing is very important, especially before eating. Also encouraging health promoting behaviors, i.e. good diet, well rested, exercise. And sometimes there isn't anything you can do. If you are exposed, you will either get it or not.

By the way, I am home with my sick 2 year old today who has vomitting and diarrhea. We haven't been on a cruise ship, so he probably got this from daycare. Will I pull him out of daycare? No.

By the way Ron, you could still get sick on your next cruise. These viruses have a way of "shifting". Which means they change just enough that you can get them again, and again, and again................

Hope you don't though.

Happy cruising!
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Admiral

I hope I don't get sick on my upcoming cruise too. What I have had for the past few days has been enough but if I have to be sick, I'd rather be sitting propped up on a deck where it's warm rather than here in the cold and cloudy weather.

Healthy and happy sailing to all who venture forth upon the high seas. If you must get a bug, let it be a bed bug. Those only make you itch.
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Admiral

The Enchantment and the Mariner were both affected by the virus. The virus can spread between ships in a number of ways.

The comedians, singers, entertainers will fly from port to port to work different ships during a week. They can carry the virus between ships.

Food borne viruses can come from the same suppliers but distributed to different ships. A contaminated shipment of, say, shrimp, can be distributed amongst different ships.

Staff members will travel from ship to ship to back fill for co-workers taking vacations or other leave.

Dock workers handling the luggage can transfer the virus from luggage to luggage. They will typically work all cruiselines in a port and they can pick it up from loading up a RCI ship and then moving across the harbor and pass it onto a HAL ship when loading it.

A co-worker of mine got sick on the Voyager last year and the doctor told him the only way to get over it was to starve himself for 48 hours. No food. Well he couldn't bring himself to do that for the first day and then he abstained for day 2 and 3. After that he was fine.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Kings

Default Stomach illness on Mariner - final wod

Just heard back from our travel agent that RCI has made an "executive" decision that no additional compensation will be made for any passenger on the sailing. They did express their sympathy and did acknowledge the situation was poorly handled (blamed it on the first time that Mariner staff has had this happen). When the agent suggested that this type of response was going to drive people to not report illnesses they agreed, but couldn't do anything else. So as a follow up, we received 3 days future cruise credit for the person that was sick (and they still have it screwed up in their records and think my oldest child was sick when he wasn't) and 2 days for the rest of us. My husband has stated he will never cruise with RCI again, and will never recommend them to anyone. Again, it was the way the situation was handled and how we were treated - not the sickness - that was our issue. I would warn anyone who does get sick, I wouldn't report it - they can't help anyway - they'll just lock you in your cabin!
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Kings, people like you I will thank once I get sick on a cruise...

Thanks MAN!

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Passenger

King
Thanks for telling people not to report their illness. After all if they are sick, they should share it with others so more people can have their cruise ruined and keep passing it around. How selfish!
Norma