Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to CanadaCruiseBoyz
Default LABADEE - PORT OF CALL - RISK OF NORWALK VIRUS?

Our Cruise leaves this Saturday on the Navigator of the Seas. Our last port of call is Labadee (Part of Hati - Domincan Republic)

We are concerned of the risk of catching the Norwalk Virus at Labadee, as many people returning from the Domincan are coming back quite sick. 200 airline passengers returning from the Dominican Republic were temporarily quarantined in Regina Saskachewan, this past Tuesday following concerns over the highly contagious Norwalk virus.

Could Labadee potentially be a port of call that passengers should be leary of getting off at?

Post Edited (01-26-05 08:39)
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: LABADEE - PORT OF CALL - RISK OF NORWALK VIRUS?

Labadee is at the tip of Haiti, and is fenced off from the island. IMO, I would not hestitate to get off on the tender at Labadee. It is one of my favorite places to stop. We are going on the Navigator in May, and I can't wait to get back to Labadee. The ship prepares all the food for a bar b que picnic lunch on the island. Everything, I believe, comes from the ship, so I would think everything would be very sanitary. The only interaction with the islanders, are the few at the straw market to sell you their goods. You can stay away from that part. (they are very very pushy) Take the little purell hand sanitizer with you and use frequently, along with washing (w/soap) you hands very frequently. Try not to touch the handrails or other parts of the ship, and that should cut down on the possiblity of someone catching it.

If you do get off the ship, go over to the other side of the island, very short walk, and it is much more private over there. They have at least 2 or 3 food stations, and they also sserve labadoozie drinks, very tasty, so be sure to have your sail and sign card to buy one of these coconuty/pineapplely concoctions!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Durin

I too am leaving for a cruise on Brillance of the Sea in March and Labadee is our last stop as well. I appreciate your informing me of this and this has brought up some concern as to whether it is worth getting office the ship. I will definitely bring some hand sanitizer with me. THANKS!!!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Sis

Debshomespun,

Please tell me where you are talking about in Labadee....the other side of the island. I didn't know they had other food stands/stations there and what do they serve? When you tender...you get off and go make the left and go through where they play the music...and that is where I laid out....Could you help me to find this other place that you are talking about the other side based on where I was.

Thank you.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Yeoman

Sis

When you get off the tender, go straight ahead, and dorta to the right a little. You will see the other side of the island, and over to the right is another food stand for lunch. We stopped in the first beach area, then went exploring, and found this other side with lots less people around. It has been over a year and a half since I was there, but I am pretty sure that is how we got there. It was much more peaceful.

Also, take a walk straight back, and to your left, and you will see the dragons lookout. It is a great big rock, with holes in it where the water comes through and makes funny noises. From that location, yu can see the ship in the ocean, and it makes a beautiful background for pictures! Hope you find your way, and have a great time there!

1 FFC--Princess

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:56 PM
First Mate

When we were in Labadee last January they had hand sanitizers right near the barbeque picnic so you can wash your hands before you eat.

Old January 26th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Admiral

If there is Norwalk virus at Labadee, staying on the ship would hardly be any protection, as most people will go ashore, then return to the ship, carrying whatever was contagious with them. As RCCL leases the area ( about 250 acres on a penisula ) and the local populace is very limited to any access it's doubtful you would catch anything from the few locals there. Be more concerned about the other 3,000 or so on the ship.
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Sis

Debshomespun,

What you get off the tender...to the right is the aqa park right? So are you saying if I go straight then the park would be to my right? Do you you take those steps to go straight? Sorry confused. Is there a name for this part of the island?

I appreciate your help.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Yeoman

Sis:

When you get off the tender, walk straight ahead to the other side of the island, then look to your right, and that is where the food shelter will be. I am not quite sure where the waterpark is, as we did not use it, so I don't remember where is was located. Hope you have a great time there!

1 FFC--Princess