Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Default How Does Tipping Really Work?

Hi All,

Ok...I have seen all the postings on what to tip, but if you choose not to have the tips automatically added to your bill, how does it work? I keep hearing about tip night on the last night of the cruise....how do you tip everyone, and make sure they get the tip themselves...do you leave the tip for the room steward in the cabin, bring the tip for the waiter and head waiter to the last dinner? Seems like a lot of peole to cover and find if you do not automatically have it added to you bill.

First time cruiser here and we are headed out this Saturday on Grandeur of the Seas from New Orleans....any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: How Does Tipping Really Work?

Hi Tracey,
Yes, the last night before you leave for dinner, leave the tip for the cabin attendant in your cabin, he/she will find it. Then just bring the tips for your waiter and asst. waiter to dinner that last night and hand it to them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
Sis

What about the Matre D. I find it very awkward when giving the envelope to waiter and asst waiter. But not giving it to the Matre D. I personally don't think he deserved any thing.....but he was right there at our table expecting envelope ......kinda made us feel weird when we were giving out the enveleope to our waiters who deserved it. And, that night when others are giving out the envelopes.....if you don't......how do they know that you have it added on to your sea pass....or do they think they are not getting a tip..
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
First Mate

They now have an option that you can add the tips to your seapass card. They will make an announcement on this but it's before midnight on the Friday before you return (assuming that your ship gets back to port on Sunday). You fill out an easy form at the Guest Relations desk. Then a confirmation package will be delivered to your room that includes envelopes for everyone (Head Waiter, Waiter, Assistant Waiter and Cabin Attendant. You also get a sheet of perforated strips (one sheet for every person in your cabin). Tear off each strip and put it into the associated envelope. Ours had 3 strips per envelope. The strips are redemption vouchers. It's so easy...no counting cash. You give your wait staff the envelopes the night of your last dinner. If you don't see your cabin attendant, put it outside your door (there's a place right above your cabin number).

Easy, easy, easy.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Jodi

Default Re: Re: How Does Tipping Really Work?

I agree with tipping the Maitre'D. I usually don't tip them as they didn't provide me with any direct service while I watch the bus boys, waiters and room stewards busting their rears...this has always been an issue for me.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to My_chemical_romance27

i havent tipped the maitre'd either...he never came to our table because we werent wine drinkers...i would rather give extra to the cabin stewards...whom i have never had a problem with and has always gone out of there way to accomadate my family and I
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM
First Mate

As for tipping the Maitre'd, I think he's like the supervisor of the wait staff in a section. He makes sure the section runs smoothly. Unless there is a problem, there is really no reason for him to come around to your table. If he's doing his job everything runs smoothly and you have a pleasant dining experience. If he's not doing his job you might not enjoy dinner very much.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Kirk Send a message via MSN to Kirk Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk

Tracey,

The tipping part sounds covered by all the other answers... I just go with my gut as for the Martre'd. Some cruises he has been non-existent, some cruises there, friendly, talkitive and so on. Yes, I've felt awkward, but hey, it is my money and I tip plenty to those that provide me with service. Usually the waiters / bus boy / cabin steward are exceptional, so I spend the same $$ amount (no Maitre'd, extra to everyone else)

I really have another question for you. Are you going to park at the long term parking at the cruise terminal? I've found a few maps of the area and they all look so confusing. After your cruise, can you post how it was? Cruise, parking, everything.. .. asking too much?
I'm sailing on the Granduer April 2nd, driving there, and parking.
Thanks
Kirk
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Yeoman

I sign up for the tip vouchers which adds to my credit card air miles and then add cash to envelopes that had above average service. I do tip the Head Water (Assistant Maitre'D) for his/her job in supervising the staff and I have been seeing them more on last 3 cruises. Maybe they got the word that we would like to KNOW who we are tipping??

P.S. The credit card advice works best for those who pay off their bill each month ; >)
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Marysunshine

As a rule I do not tip the Maitre'D, however on one cruise there was absolutely nothing on the lunch menu that was edible and the waiter saw I was unhappy and called over the Maitre'D. He went in the kitchen and brought me back a hugs platter of Fettucini Alfredo. My husband immediately slipped him a $5. and thanked him.
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:13 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

ok...I'm going to sound really dense here beause I've been on over a dozen cruises, but now you've all gotten me to thinking.....isn't the Matre D' and the Head Waiter, the same person?

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Jodi

Default Re: Re: How Does Tipping Really Work?

No...the Maitre'D oversees the dining room in totem....the head waiter oversees a specific section of the dining room and reports to the Maitre'D.